Old 12-10-2023, 05:50 AM   #1
Gil_Bates
Gil_Bates began at the beginning.

Device: Vivlio Touch Hd plus
Problem with Unlasting Check

Hello

With last Calibre Version 7.1 , editor
I had some "unlasting running check"
It displays "Running Check, please wait..".. so I waited hours, and it never found an exit

The Only way to get out was to stop the Calibre working process from the windows tasks management.

It happened with some books I received
( not with books I made and converted to epub. With those ones, the check ran perfectly)

How to know what makes the check "unlast" ?

Thanks so much
Gil_Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I suspect 'unlast' is never ending in English

What OS?
Since your books work, I suspect your source of those others has applied DRM or otherwise damaged them.
(Calibre can store and deliver books via USB, with DRM, just not make any changes)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 07:31 AM   #3
Gil_Bates

NEVER ENDING check

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I suspect 'unlast' is never ending in English

What OS?
Since your books work, I suspect your source of those others has applied DRM or otherwise damaged them.
(Calibre can store and deliver books via USB, with DRM, just not make any changes)
Thanks for your reply, I would have said "Never ending" .. sorry for my poor english.

OS is Windows 10
Actually, the books on which I got a never ending check doesn't appear to be DRM protected because
It can be opened and read into Calibre
If you try to convert it, the usual window saying "This book has DRM... cannot convert" doesn't apper
There is no suspicious file into it that could contain protection.

So I just wonder what makes the check running with no end.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:03 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil_Bates View Post
Thanks for your reply, I would have said "Never ending" .. sorry for my poor english.

OS is Windows 10
Actually, the books on which I got a never ending check doesn't appear to be DRM protected because
If you try to convert it, the usual window saying "This book has DRM... cannot convert" doesn't apper

The only way you get to view the eBook in the viewer and then have a DRM message when you go to edit it is fi you are doing all of this outside of the GUI. DeDRM is removing the DRM for the copy the editor has collected and is not removing the DRM for the editor as the editor does not use a copy.

Load the eBook in the GUI and let DeDRM remove the DRM so you can edit it from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

OS is Windows 10

No problem, we understand not all are fluent.

Huge (Megabytes of just code) books an take a very long time as each link needs to be resolved (might take many loops thru). Does it have lots of footnotes?
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 10:44 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only way you get to view the eBook in the viewer and then have a DRM message when you go to edit it is fi you are doing all of this outside of the GUI. DeDRM is removing the DRM for the copy the editor has collected and is not removing the DRM for the editor as the editor does not use a copy.

Load the eBook in the GUI and let DeDRM remove the DRM so you can edit it from there.
Where did they say that The problem book displayed the DRM message?
They acknowledged they did NOT see that case.
Old 12-15-2023, 01:18 PM   #7
lomkiri
Zealot
lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
With last Calibre Version 7.1 , editor
I had some "unlasting running check"
It displays "Running Check, please wait..".. so I waited hours, and it never found an exit
It can be an exception (an unexxpected behavior of the code pyhon), from calibre or from a plugin. As it says "Running check, if it's the case (exception), it probably comes from the editor of calibre.

A bug was fixed in the new version 7.2 released today (see https://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new):
Quote:
Windows: Edit book: Fix a crash when using the check book tool with a book that contains malformed markup, in calibre 7
Closes tickets: 2045133
so the first thing to try is to open your book with this new version.

If it still happens, I don't know if you can do that in windows, but in linux, what I do in those cases, I open the executable "ebook-edit" from the command-line, then it is verbose and the eventual exceptions are displayed in the output of the command line. If this possibility exists in windows, you could try this, so you'll be able to see the problem (if any) and to report it.
lomkiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 05:25 AM   #8
Gil_Bates

Unfortunately... The problem still occurs with 7.2

Hello, and thank you all for your answers.

Unfortunately ..
The problem still occurs in 7.2 with some books (that are not DRM Protected - of course)
I still can't see what makes the Calibre worker process never ends its checking.
If I right-click on the task bar ( Windows 10) over the Calibre editor (bluebook) and choose Calibre worker process, I can see flashing a black windows with sometimes a content.. but it disappears too fast to allow reading its content.

After some tries I could get the flashing content of this black "calibre worker process" window.
Here it is.

Traceback (more recent calls last):
File "runpy.py", line 198, in _run_module_as_main
File "runpy.py", line 88, in _run_code
File "site.py", line 95, in <module>
File "site.py", line 50, in run_entry_point
File "calibre\utils\ipc\worker.py", line 202, in main
File "os.py", line 679, in __getitem__
KeyError : 'CALIBRE_WORKER_FD'

Last edited by Gil_Bates; 12-24-2023 at 05:47 AM.