Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-23-2022, 04:06 AM   #1
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Exclamation NOOK GlowLight 4 Pearl Pink?!

Apparently they finally admitted that they needed more than one color, and also because they thought that adding a limited edition color could get people to finally get a NOOK (despite the continued BS with the limited space for sideloaded content and the mixed user experience ).

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/noo...=9780594087496

It does look good though... Just wish I could get it in red and black, haha.
I saw it while I was poking around for NOOK books to get to sideload onto my Kindle.
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
...also because they thought that adding a limited edition color could get people to finally get a NOOK (despite the continued BS with the limited space for sideloaded content and the mixed user experience ).
Yeah, limiting space for sideloading is just so dumb.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:14 PM   #3
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I purchased it. No issues with sideloading books. I think you can use unlimited space now. The materials is different. The black is rubberized soft feel and the pink is all hard plastic. I love it tho. White face makes the reading screen look brighter and crisper and i find it faster and more responsive than my kindles. here are pics outside when i went to the park yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0871 (1).jpg
Views:	1027
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	195518   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0870.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	195519  
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yeah, limiting space for sideloading is just so dumb.
I am pretty sure its no longer limited. I see no seperate storage under settings. I uploaded a ton of eBooks.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I am pretty sure its no longer limited. I see no seperate storage under settings. I uploaded a ton of eBooks.
You don't see the storage used just for nook books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:53 PM   #6
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't see the storage used just for nook books.
No there is just one storage under settings that shows my total storage and what's available. Nothing is labeled as Nook only under storage it just shows 26.78GB out of 29.15 GB available.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:28 AM   #7
gforgiraffe39935
Enthusiast
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
Quote:
No there is just one storage under settings that shows my total storage and what's available. Nothing is labeled as Nook only under storage it just shows 26.78GB out of 29.15 GB available.
On the device, the display is never separated into NOOK content and side loaded content. Plug it into a computer and see how much space the drive actually displays as available. The GL4 firmware 5.6 update still sets aside only 5 GB for the side loaded content. If the pink is different out the box, that’s definitely an improvement in functionality. I can make the GL4 do it but it won’t persist if connected to Wi-Fi.

Last edited by gforgiraffe39935; 08-02-2022 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Typos
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 10:06 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hey, if that's the norm now, that's great!
Old 09-05-2022, 08:11 PM   #9
HLS
Wizard

No, I will not plug in the PC. I don't have time. I don't have use for side loading really so space really does not matter. I can no longer strip DRM from kindles so side loading I no longer need. I don't have many DRM free books.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:14 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
No, I will not plug in the PC. I don't have time. I don't have use for side loading really so space really does not matter. I can no longer strip DRM from kindles so side loading I no longer need. I don't have many DRM free books.
Removing DRM from Kindle ebooks is still possible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #11
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
I did a search on the BN website for a pearl/pink Glowlight 4. It said there was ONE avaialble at a B&N about 35 min from my house. I tried to buy it online for in-store pickup and it would not let me do that.

I called the store and confirmed they had one. I asked if they could hold it for me, and the woman told me they could not. So my son as I hopped in the car and drove over there.

When we got there I went to the cashier and asked her for the pearl/pink Glowlight and the cashier tells me it's on hold for someone and they can't sell it to me.

So, I called the store back now and they still have it, and WILL NOT hold it for me. I need to come in and get it.

I told them I am not driving over a half hour AGAIN, unless they can assure me that they will sell it to me when I get there and not have it on hold again or sell it. The woman puts me on hold and comes back and says because of what happened on Sunday, they're willing to hold it till close of business. I told them that was not going to work for me. I needed it on-hold through close of business tomorrow.

They wouldn't do that, so I will not be getting the pearl/pink model. If it's still here over the weekend, I may go pick it up. We'll see.

I'm a little pissed about the whole situation.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
TBH, I would not buy this pearl pink or not. The firmware is garbage. Partitioned is disgusting. That means you have very little space for side loaded eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:58 PM   #13
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Quote:
TBH, I would not buy this pearl pink or not. The firmware is garbage. Partitioned is disgusting. That means you have very little space for side loaded eBooks.
It is. But this is not for me. It's for my wife. All I do is sideload epubs for her, or she buys stuff from the nook store.

She likes the nook UI. I'd rather get her a Kindle, but she's been using my Kindle for the last few months and she doesn't like it.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
She likes the nook UI.
I like the Nook UI. I prefer it to Kobo. I just wish I had the control on fonts and sideloaded content I do on Kobo.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:02 PM   #15
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
I see no partitioning limits. I side loaded hundreds of ebooks with no space issues or limitations

Tags
barnesandnoble, barnesandnoblenook, nook