Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
lisadawn
lisadawn began at the beginning.

Device: original kindle,k3,sony 530,classic nook(sold), nc(sold)nook touch
opinions please......don't hold back:)

I am going to buy a secong reader. I have the original kindle and have always loved it.....well recently i have come to the conclusion that it is a bit restrictive. I would like a reader that I can pretty much purchase books from wherever and have it able to read the format. I have it narrowed down to the pocketbook 360, sony prs 300, or aluratek libre.......PLEASE help me decide!!! I am one of those people that research everything to death and second guess my choices constantly!
lisadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
If you can find a Sony 505, snap it up. The screen is the same as the 300's, but a bit bigger, and it's been thoroughly hacked so you can replace the firmware with one that allows a lot of customisation (look at the thread on the PRS+ customiser).

If there were just one reader that had software which would do full justification with hyphenation, then that would be an immediate first choice. Unfortunately none of them do - you'd think any manufacturer looking to differentiate their product would pick up on this (big hint to any of them reading this).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I can't recommend the pocketbook 360 highly enough. I recently got one for my mother to replace her dead cybook. She loves it, and if I could justify another reader for myself I would certainly get one for me too. It's the most customizable reader I have ever seen, and it is supported by a very active and friendly community.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
If there were just one reader that had software which would do full justification with hyphenation, then that would be an immediate first choice. Unfortunately none of them do
PocketBook does.
If you load third-party version of FBReader you can even fine-tune hyphenation. You can tell the reader what is the minimum length of word that can be hyphenated. You can set any justification, you can set page margins, line spacing and much more. You can even set how much the space between words can be compressed when the device does full justification with hyphenation. Oh ... and PocketBook knows hyphenation rules for various languages.

It still isn't LaTeX quality or InDesign quality typography(*), but it is pretty good. And if you DO require typographically perfect document you can make custom pdf file in LaTex or InDesign or whatever, formatted exactly for the size of your screen, with whatever fancy features you wish (ligatures, typographical color evenness, hanging capitals at the beginning of chapter, handmade illuminations, you name it).

(*) still no widows and orphans control, it does not evaluate justification of line in relation to n lines above or below to avoid rivers.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
lisadawn

I was actually going to buy a 505 from a member of another forum but it didn't pan out.
I will look on ebay and see whats there.
Advert
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
Dusty
Connoisseur
Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 300, T1
I can only tell you what I have and why.

All I wanted was to be able to read multi format novels anywhere and everywhere. I have a netbook for color magazines and PDF textbooks.

I prefer reading softcover books. I wanted something very portable and light.

As soon as I picked up the Sony 300 and played with it I knew I had found my base comparison model. If anything could beat it I would buy it. After two months of shopping around I went back to the Sony and snapped it up.
It does what it does to perfection. No bells and whistles, simply an excellent clear, portable reader.

I will upgrade when eInk comes in color, no Ipad for me. My Acer netbook serves my needs.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
I would like a reader that I can pretty much purchase books from wherever and have it able to read the format.
That statement should orient your decision to the PB 360. It is more expensive, but it swallows everything. EPUB, DRM-less Mobi, PDF (surprisingly well for its 5 inches), FB2 (this one is read even if it is compressed in ZIP), HTML, DJVU, you name it. God, it even reads TIFF and PNG image files.

And except for the PDF files, which are read fine but with no frills, the third party mod for the reading software allows you to finetune everything, as kacir has detailed.

I might strike as a fanboy, but the PB360 deserves it.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
lisadawn

I am kinda leaning towards the PB 360....I simply like how it looks on top of everything else. Decisions!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
Have you considered using one of the kindle hacks to read books from other formats?
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:18 AM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I can't recommend the pocketbook 360 highly enough. I recently got one for my mother to replace her dead cybook. She loves it, and if I could justify another reader for myself I would certainly get one for me too. It's the most customizable reader I have ever seen, and it is supported by a very active and friendly community.
Seconded. It really is the most versatile, and it's easy to use. It's very light (lighter than the Sony) and the integrated snap-on cover solution is ideal for a small device you can take anywhere.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisadawn View Post
I am going to buy a second reader. I have the original kindle and have always loved it.....well recently i have come to the conclusion that it is a bit restrictive.
Frankly, pretty much all the readers I've looked at seem fairly restrictive and a bit on the primitive side, compared to the range and freedom of a regular computer. But things generally seem to be changing very rapidly now - not just with the hardware but also with with the software, the book formats, and the whole selling/protecting models.

My criteria for buying anything right now includes assuming that whatever I purchase might have quite a short time in the sun before it in turns looks a tad obsolete. Not an easy thing to second guess. But you did say "don't hold back..." so maybe that's another thing to consider - how long will you need to use something before you feel that you've got value for money, can justify replacing it again, or whatever?

Good luck with the choice.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:32 AM   #12
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRna...eature=related

30 second comparision of 360 and 505.
I didn't like the clicking sound on the 360, the 505 was quiet in comparision. The 505 is metal, the 360 looked plastic.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I use a Hanlin 6 inch reader. It's a bit industrial in appearance, but it'll read just about anything, and has a choice of firmware - the company's or openinkpot...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRna...eature=related

30 second comparision of 360 and 505.
I didn't like the clicking sound on the 360, the 505 was quiet in comparision. The 505 is metal, the 360 looked plastic.
Yes, but the PB360 is almost half the weight and it doesn't suck the warmth from your fingers like the Sony 505 (that might be a plus in a warm climate )
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Yes, but the PB360 is almost half the weight and it doesn't suck the warmth from your fingers like the Sony 505 (that might be a plus in a warm climate )
Not to mention the fact that the Pocketbook offers many, many more features, such as an enormously better ePub viewer, full folder support, dictionary lookup, text highlighting, and much more.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote