Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
firstname
Enthusiast
firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KT2 currently, soon PW3
Question After jailbreak questions

My goal is to be able to sideload my book collection, which is in different formats, to my KT2 and be able to read them from it.

I have been following https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x...#Step-by-Step: though I think I messed up somewhere on step 9, as KUAL although displayed in My items, it would not open. I then tried installing MRPI and Koreader, but I think I have reversed all of this now.

I have left my firmware version at 5.6.0 after jailbreaking, as I was unsure if there was any reason to not upgrade or not - please let me know if I should.

The top level of Kindle storage is currently the following:

Code:
drwxr-xr-x 11 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 17 13:33 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 17 13:33 ..
drwxr-xr-x  3 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 16 23:32 .active-content-data
drwxr-xr-x  4 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 16 23:27 .active_content_sandbox
-rw-r--r--  1 firstname firstname 41565 Nov 27 18:39 ChangeLog.txt
drwxr-xr-x  2 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 16 22:27 .demo
drwxr-xr-x  2 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 16 23:32 developer
drwxr-xr-x  6 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 17 13:14 documents
drwxr-xr-x  2 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 16 23:18 mkk
drwxr-xr-x  2 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 16 23:18 rp
drwxr-xr-x 13 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 17 13:28 system
drwxr-xr-x  2 firstname firstname  8192 Feb 16 19:18 update.bin.tmp.partial
-rw-r--r--  1 firstname firstname    38 Nov 27 18:39 VERSION
Starting step 9 over from now, I have unzipped kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N-r14394.tar.xz to the top level of my Kindle, and even though the MobileRead Package Installer thread does not mention inputting ;log mrpi to the search bar, as the Wiki page does input it but receive the error no MR packages found. I am guessing this is instruction on how to use it, when necessary.

In the next part of step 9, I go to KUAL: Kindle Unified Application Launcher (v2.7), and if I understand correctly learn I need to first install Mobileread Kindlet Kit before KUAL.

Looking through the files in kindle-mkk-20141129.zip, I do not seem any that indicate they are for KT2 or BASIC, so I am going to stop here, and ask which file should I use please? When I tried this before I used K5, and then then uninstall bin earlier today.
firstname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The most significant thing you are missing, is paying attention to the date that the things you are reading, was written.

Do not skip around doing your choice of steps in your choice of order, they **should** be done in the order given (one of the reasons they are numbered).

The firmware image you installed, was installed so that you could jail break it.
The version number is not significant, only the fact that it is a "for-factory-use-only" firmware build. Intended to be used only in the factory, for the purpose of Q.A. testing.

You **MUST** install a consumer firmware version from Amazon's download servers if you expect any of our add-ins to work as intended.
**NONE** of them where ever intended to be run in the factory, on the production line.

Your next biggest mistake is jumping around from thread to thread (and ignore post/edit dates).
Stay with the main jail break thread, (for a KT2) either the version posted in this forum or the version posted in our Wiki (your choice - but do not mix instructions).

The directions are complete, just follow them as if you where a robot that we programmed, do not ad-lib any part of the directions.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
(either follow the link to the Wiki or open the spoiler)

Last edited by knc1; 02-17-2018 at 09:25 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #3
firstname
Enthusiast
firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Arrow

Noticed a mistake, will report when I do some more.

Last edited by firstname; 02-17-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the document version does not work, then use the booklet version.
If the booklet version only shows a blank menu, then try the "fix of the week", here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294765

The document version is: KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 (just move to /documents, like any other document)

The booklet version is: Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7_install.bin (put that one into /mrpackages and trigger MrPi with the search bar command).
(It does no harm to have both installed at the same time, such as when trying them both)

If something needs to be clearer, you can edit it.
That is why it is in the Wiki - anybody can correct it as things change with time.
Do not worry about "messing it up" - like all Wiki's the entries are all under version control.
If a mistake is made, anyone can roll back the change.

I don't understand the prompt about the new font.
Are you doing this while the device has an Internet connection available?
You really don't want it to connect to the Internet while doing all of this, it might update itself to 5.9.4 before you are ready.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #5
firstname
Enthusiast

Talking

Thanks for the prompt reply, it would be great if I can use my Kindle to read in bed tonight

Okay, so I am going to stick with the wiki article 5 x Jailbreak as the thread recommends doing so, and it also includes some extra info on KUAL etc which the spoiler does not.

In order to follow the steps exactly, I have now removed the directories I had copied over for MPRI, and after confirming I have the hotfix installed I manually installed update_kindle_5.8.7.0.1.bin.

Next I have extracted kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N-r14394.tar.xz to the top level of my Kindle, and input to the search bar ;log mrpi, and a dialogue window appeared telling me a new Chinese font was available, and prompted me to restart which I have.

Looking again at the second section of Step 9, the README in KUAL-v2.7.2-gea85a19-20171125.tar.xz tells me to put KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 in my documents folder and KUAL now opens!

Can you please now direct me to a thread, or tell me what I need to do, so I can sideload my books, epubs, pdfs, etc., so that they will appear in my Kindle library and I can read them from it?
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
firstname
Enthusiast

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
I don't understand the prompt about the new font.
Are you doing this while the device has an Internet connection available?
You really don't want it to connect to the Internet while doing all of this, it might update itself to 5.9.4 before you are ready.
Thanks, you replied to my last post before I noticed the mistake and removed it. I am connected to the Internet, only after manually updating as it prompted me to - but I do have the director on the top level of my Kindle to stop OTA updates. I am guessing there is a reason not to update to 5.9.4 so I am glad I have that file there!

Last edited by firstname; 02-17-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstname View Post
- - - -
Can you please now direct me to a thread, or tell me what I need to do, so I can sideload my books, epubs, pdfs, etc., so that they will appear in my Kindle library and I can read them from it?
??
Don't you have a document on your Kindle titled: "Kindle User's Guide"?
There is a whole lot of useful information in that document.

1) Connect Kindle to PC with USB cable.
2) Move documents from PC to the /documents directory of the Kindle.

Note: The Kindle will only display those document types it can read.
You may want to install KOreader for the other document types.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #8
firstname
Enthusiast

Question

Quote:
??
Don't you have a document on your Kindle titled: "Kindle User's Guide"?
There is a whole lot of useful information in that document.

1) Connect Kindle to PC with USB cable.
2) Move documents from PC to the /documents directory of the Kindle.

Note: The Kindle will only display those document types it can read.
You may want to install KOreader for the other document types.
Thanks, yes I had already manually copied an epub to the /documents directory, but due to the format it would not display on the kindle.

I installed KOreader, open it from KUAL, the KOreader file manager. I then long pressed a folder I had created /documents/Books, which I understand sets it as home for KOreader.

This opened the epub file, which is great, but I would prefer, if possible, to view all of my books in a library view, displaying the covers nicely, rather than having to go KUAL >> KOreader >> File manager >> select book from list.

Is this possible? Perhaps best practice is just to convert everything with calibre?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

The best solution is to also install KPVbooklet.

You will have to contact Amazon about their only displaying the types of books that they do, rather than all types of books our KOreader can handle.

PS: Lots of luck with that suggestion.
What you ask **might** be possible by making the proper entries in the tables of the cc.db database.
(that is where the thumbnails are "registered" with the system)

Last edited by knc1; 02-17-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #10
firstname
Enthusiast

Arrow

I will install KPVbooklet now.

I found this image online, which made me question whether or not epubs can be displayed in the library?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

If you saw it on the Internet, then it must be so (but that doesn't make it our problem).
What does it say in the "Kindle User's Guide"?
You read it, there isn't any reason for us to read it for you and quote the information in posts.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
firstname
Enthusiast

Question

Quote:
The best solution is to also install KPVbooklet
I have now installed Update_KUALBooklet_v2.7.2_install.bin in additon to KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2. Looking through the booklet, it seems very similar to the other KUAL version, please tell me why having it is the best solution?

Quote:
If you saw it on the Internet, then it must be so (but that doesn't make it our problem).
What does it say in the "Kindle User's Guide"?
You read it, there isn't any reason for us to read it for you and quote the information in posts.
I am sure the user guide says something about it only supporting mobi and .azw formats.

So would you recommend, if I want to view my books in a library, displaying their covers, I convert everything to .mobi and place in the /documents dir?
Old 02-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

No, I would recommend that you read the directions you are given.
I said to install KPVbooklet, not the booklet version of KUAL.

The installation of KPVbooklet will register the other, non-Amazon, document types and assign KOreader as the handler.

Anything other (simpler) than touching the book's display to open it in your choice of reader ...
You will have to invent on your own.

Note: KPVbooklet can also assign CR3 as the handler - there was a fairly recent update posted here for KPVbooklet.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
firstname
Enthusiast

Arrow

Quote:
The installation of KPVbooklet will register the other, non-Amazon, document types and assign KOreader as the handler.
Quote:
Anything other (simpler) than touching the book's display to open it in your choice of reader ...
That sounds like exactly what I want.

Quote:
Note: KPVbooklet can also assign CR3 as the handler - there was a fairly recent update posted here for KPVbooklet.
I have installed KPVbooklet, which now makes epubs appear, and opens them using KOreader, which is perfect.

The only issue I have now is that when I manually copy epubs to my /documents directory, sometimes no cover is displayed, even though I can see in calibre it does have the metadata and cover. If I instead use calibre to send to my Kindle, the converted mobi file does display the cover. Is there anyway to generate a cover, or have the kindle display a cover for an epub file?

Is there a particular format that is better than the rest for any reason, perhaps I should be converting everything to mobi, or epub, or PDF?

Also, KOreader asked me to select some hidden folder with the file manager, but I was unsure what to do so I just selected documents. Should I create a dir like /documents/.koreader and point it there instead?
Old 02-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #15
firstname
Enthusiast

Finally, is there anyway to back up or sync my own book collection to the Kindle cloud, or will that only work for mobis purchased through Amazon?