Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #61
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Thanks for catching that. I never tested with pure svg images. Hmm I will definitely look into fixing it.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #62
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Handling svg images is going to end up being a pain in the butt because python PIL does not handle them. In fact the only python conversion from svg to a png thumbnail require librsvg2, cairo, pycairo, and cairosvg but these are not easily found anyplace other than linux.

Luckily Qt itself can be used to create a svg2png converter commandline program to make the required thumbnail in a crossplatform manner or alternatively I could port the entire gui of Access-Aide from tkinter to pyqt5 just to handle that but I just spent a bunch of time figuring out the tkinter code and really do not want to start from scratch.

So this will take a bit more work to handle.
Advert
Old 02-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #63
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@KevinH: While testing ACE and your plugin, I noticed two more issues that your plugin could check for.

1. If ACE detects empty h1..h6 headings, it'll display the following minor warnings:
  • Element does not have text that is visible to screen readers
  • Element's default semantics were not overridden with role="presentation"
  • Element's default semantics were not overridden with role="none"
Ideally the plugin should add role=''presentation" attributes to all empty h1..h6 tags. For more information see this topic.

2. If an epub3 book contains page targets and a pagelist, the metadata section should also contain a dc:source entry with information about the print edition that the page numbers are based on. For more information, see this topic.

Ideally, the plugin should add a blank dc:source entry with a placeholder text if the nav doc contains a page list and the metadata section doesn't contain a dc:source entry.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #64
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Why blank for either? epubcheck will actually barf on any empty dc: metadata tags. The user should find and fix these themselves.

I do not want to add features that really should be handled by the user instead of Accessibility-Aide. I just want the Accessibility-Aide to handle the automatable steps and I want the output of Access-Aide to always pass epubcheck if the did so before running the Aide.

So I probably won't fix either of these as empty h1-h6 tags make no real sense and not using dc:source when you have a pagelist makes no sense. They should be fixed by the user, not worked around to prevent the warning.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-14-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #65
KevinH
Sigil Developer

A release version of Access-Aide v040 is now available for Sigil. It supports both epub2 and pub3 ebooks.

See Sigil's Plugin Index:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247431

Or go directly to the download site:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294900

Feedback and improvement Ideas welcome.

Hope this helps!
Advert
Old 02-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #66
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
A release version of Access-Aide v040 is now available for Sigil. It supports both epub2 and pub3 ebooks.

Hope this helps!
Sure it does! I really don't know how to thank you enough for this

I have a small problem with the GUI for setting image alt's, though - it goes over the top of my screen, so that the Okay and Cancel-buttons aren't visible. It seems the standard tkinter screenmath doesn't take any toolbars into account. By some trial-and-error messing around with your code I've made them visible by altering line 44 in accessgui.py:

h = localRoot.winfo_screenheight()+(localRoot.winfo_screenheight()/5)

Then the bottom of the dialog runs below my screen, but that's not quite so big a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have built an Ace page in the wiki and am starting to collect accessibility features there.
I've got my hands on the BISG Quick Start Guide to Accessibility, which is supposed to be the best guide to epub accessibility at the moment. It carries a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 license, and the copyright notice furthermores states that "The Book Industry Study Group, Inc. (“BISG”) owns all rights to this publication and the copyrights therein. This publication is made available free-of-charge. Anyone who downloads it may post a copy on his or her company’s website or distribute it in physical or digital form to others.."

So I guess it should be legal to include it on Mobileread Wiki? - Let me know if you want it.

Regards,

Kim

Last edited by elibrarian; 02-18-2018 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Typo
elibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:07 AM   #67
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
I have a small problem with the GUI for setting image alt's, though - it goes over the top of my screen, so that the Okay and Cancel-buttons aren't visible.
The width can be adjusted via a .json preference file entry.

1. Create an Access-Aide folder in the sigil-ebook/sigil/plugins_prefs folder.
2. Create a text file with the name Access-Aide.json in that folder.
3. Edit Access-Aide.json and add the following entry:

Code:
{
  "basewidth": 100
}
This will limit the width to 100 pixels. Adjust this value according to your needs.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #68
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Changing the basewidth should make the height smaller as well since I use that dimension to determine the others.

But either way, I should add code to prevent the height from ever being larger than the full screen height. And ditto for the width just to make sure the window is sane. I will add that for the next release.

Updated: I have now hopefully fixed this in master:

Code:
def GUIUpdateFromList(title, list, basewidth):
    localRoot = tkinter.Tk()
    ls = updateList(localRoot, title, list, basewidth)
    ls.pack(side="top", fill="both", expand=True)
    localRoot.withdraw()
    localRoot.update_idletasks()
    w = localRoot.winfo_screenwidth()
    h = localRoot.winfo_screenheight()
    # make sure our frame actually fits on the users screen
    framewidth = basewidth*2
    frameheight = basewidth*2
    if framewidth > w:
        framewidth = w
    if frameheight > h:
        frameheight = h
    framesize = (framewidth, frameheight)
    x = w//2 - framesize[0]//2
    y = h//2 - framesize[1]//2
    localRoot.geometry("%dx%d+%d+%d" % (framesize + (x,y)))
    localRoot.deiconify()
    localRoot.mainloop()
    # exits with quit but don't destroy until after read out results
    # and cleaned up
    results = []
    for (alabel, afield) in ls.cblist:
        imgpath = alabel.imgpath
        # attempt to prevent issues on Windows by explicitly closing
        # all original image files
        # alabel.origimg.close()
        altnew = afield.get(1.0,"end")
        altnew = altnew.strip()
        if not ls.cancelled:
            results.append([imgpath, altnew])
    localRoot.destroy()
    return results
See my github repo to get access to any changes early:

https://github.com/kevinhendricks/Access-Aide

This fix will appear in the next release.

You can also simply download the latest version of accessgui.py from there is you want to update your local copy before the next official release.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-18-2018 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added repo info and fix available
Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #69
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Sure it does! I really don't know how to thank you enough for this

I have a small problem with the GUI for setting image alt's, though - it goes over the top of my screen, so that the Okay and Cancel-buttons aren't visible. It seems the standard tkinter screenmath doesn't take any toolbars into account. By some trial-and-error messing around with your code I've made them visible by altering line 44 in accessgui.py:

h = localRoot.winfo_screenheight()+(localRoot.winfo_screenheight()/5)

Then the bottom of the dialog runs below my screen, but that's not quite so big a problem

I've got my hands on the BISG Quick Start Guide to Accessibility, which is supposed to be the best guide to epub accessibility at the moment. It carries a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 license, and the copyright notice furthermores states that "The Book Industry Study Group, Inc. (“BISG”) owns all rights to this publication and the copyrights therein. This publication is made available free-of-charge. Anyone who downloads it may post a copy on his or her company’s website or distribute it in physical or digital form to others.."

So I guess it should be legal to include it on Mobileread Wiki? - Let me know if you want it.

Regards,

Kim
Sounds good. I think it would be a good addition.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #70
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Sounds good. I think it would be a good addition.
elibrarian sent me a copy of the document and I have created a start for Accessible Publishing. It has some extracts from the document and tells how to obtain the original. It also serves as well in integrating a few accessible entries throughout the web site. I decided against attaching the whole document due to maintaining it concerns. better to get it from the source.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote