Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm for making the MR club as open and friendly as possible.

Quote:
The Mobile Read Book Club (MRBC) is an informal club that requires nothing of you. Each month a book is selected by polling. On the 20th of that month a discussion thread is started for the book. If you want to participate feel free. There is no need to "join" or sign up. All are welcome.
If conditions are tied to participating in any phase, I'll probably bow out.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'm concerned that so far there's been a lot of wrangling about the usual issues; if we could take them as said for the time being, that would be great. So far, the focus has been essentially on deal breakers, but it doesn't address the even larger issue of what would pull people in? What would people like to see in a book club?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 02:50 PM   #18
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I know for me availability has been my issue recently - both personal (I'm busy) and book availability (low).

I liked that we tried the "discuss immediately" option for the last few months but we haven't tried the option to delay the discussion a longer time to give people more time to get the book and read it. As-in, we would be nominating and voting for January right now instead of December but not reading till January 20. That gives 4 more weeks for people to get and read the selected book.

In order to limit the amount of work that WT Sharpe (and anyone else helping with the nominations) needs to do around the December holidays that would mean we should swap January and February's categories - have Mystery in January and have nominations for that right after the current ones (or concurrently) and then leave second chance, still on this year's books, in February. So the vote for second chance would still be in December and we don't need to worry about nominations then.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:08 PM   #19
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm concerned that so far there's been a lot of wrangling about the usual issues; if we could take them as said for the time being, that would be great. So far, the focus has been essentially on deal breakers, but it doesn't address the even larger issue of what would pull people in? What would people like to see in a book club?
An interesting and constructive (and respectful) discussion about the books, “getting to know” the other members, so that book club is a “welcome home” feeling.

That is what would pull me in, and keep me hooked.

But HOW to create that? Difficult to say really... a good and stimulating choice of books, welcoming new members, while pleasing a majority. Not easy.

One risk is always that the “oldies” know each other well and talk with each other, and the new person’s posts are ignored - not out of malice, but accidentally. That is how forums mostly work, although MR is definitely more welcoming than many.

There will always be books that are more and less interesting to the individual. Maybe encourage members to read even the less tempting ones with some sort of challenge - members who read and discuss at least 80% of a years books... are eligible to... something...? Points, more votes in one vote per year, a lottery ticket for a MR-book club draw, or something...
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
There will always be books that are more and less interesting to the individual. Maybe encourage members to read even the less tempting ones with some sort of challenge - members who read and discuss at least 80% of a years books... are eligible to... something...? Points, more votes in one vote per year, a lottery ticket for a MR-book club draw, or something...
I think the Lit club has (had?) some form of perk for more consistent members but I haven't looked into it for a while.

I think something like that could be fun.

With the software we have giving an extra vote wouldn't be easy but maybe we could have a category once a year for "regular's favorite" and only those who have participated in some percentage of discussions could nominate? Same voting would apply I think.

The other ideas there are certainly possible too.
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #21
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
An interesting and constructive (and respectful) discussion about the books, “getting to know” the other members, so that book club is a “welcome home” feeling.

That is what would pull me in, and keep me hooked.

But HOW to create that? Difficult to say really... a good and stimulating choice of books, welcoming new members, while pleasing a majority. Not easy.

One risk is always that the “oldies” know each other well and talk with each other, and the new person’s posts are ignored - not out of malice, but accidentally. That is how forums mostly work, although MR is definitely more welcoming than many.

That is what is missing, I think. A sense of ”home" or "group" in the main MR Book Club. Yes, there are some regulars, but we don't really have a way to just chat about books or whatever. Not sure quite how to get there, but willing to try something.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And maybe start a thread in one of the busier forums.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
OK, off the wall suggestion time. How about a Badge for everyone who commits to reading at least 10 of the 12 books in a club as part of their annual challenge?

Or, simply a 'member' badge? Something showing you really are part of the process. I know I was a member here at MR for over a year before I paid any attention at all to the club. Didn't really understand that you could drop in.

What I'm getting at here is a way to recognize and 'reward' participants. Kind of like those little karma dots. ('CRussel ought to be getting tired of Karma fortunes by now')
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #24
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I have just found this thread and read the comments with interest. A couple of thoughts:

1. I agree with Dazrin that a longer lead time would help with the problem of getting a book. Some book clubs even work out thei list of books for the year. That’s probably extreme, but being at least one or two months ahead could help.

2. Another way to help the library availability would be to nominate books that are at least 12 months old, ie no brand new publications.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
2. Another way to help the library availability would be to nominate books that are at least 12 months old, ie no brand new publications.
I've belonged to a book club where any book read had to have a paperback version. an eBook 12 months or older might help with the lines at Overdrive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:23 PM   #26
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It can also help with cost where people are prepared/able to buy, as in Australia at least, the price tends to go down as newer books come on the market. Books here, including ebooks, are very expensive, and that is certainly a consideration for me as I’m retired.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #27
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

On another issue, I think issybird is right, that some sort of amalgamated club could be the way to go, and that there is more overlap in the books chosen than people may realise. Belonging to two clubs is too demanding on reading time as we probably all have tottering piles of TBRs.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #28
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Are "new" books really the problem? I'm guessing if we went back through what was voted on, there would be relatively few new books?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #29
Dazrin
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
That is what is missing, I think. A sense of ”home" or "group" in the main MR Book Club. Yes, there are some regulars, but we don't really have a way to just chat about books or whatever. Not sure quite how to get there, but willing to try something.
For me, I get some of the camaraderie from the Reading Rec forum and to a lesser extend the Lounge. I don't make my way to many of the other forums often. I am sure a lot of people are that way.

There have to be lots of people who just wander straight to the Kindle or Kobo or Deals forums that don't even know the book club exists, it seems like getting some of those people involved is what it will take to get the club thriving again.

Off the wall - what about having a chat or other live discussion for a book rather than just the discussion thread? Something where we can actively go back and forth about a book rather than the long delays we have now. Post....wait 6 hours...someone else posts...wait 6 hours...someone else responds to first post...

It could even be a Google Hangout/Skype/etc. meetup where audio is possible and we could have an actual verbal discussion.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #30
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
What matters very much to me is if a book is available as an audiobook. I read/listen to about a book a week, but nowhere near as much in print. And then, with a tight budget in mind, hopefully available from Overdrive or Hoopla. Only if I'm really motivated I would buy from Audible.

I realize my parameters are too limiting for the group as a whole, but well, you did ask.

Last edited by Alohamora; 11-20-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote