Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
tdp1947
tdp1947 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung tablet/PC
Question Database problems

I have been using Calibre for about 2 years and absolutely love it. I keep my ebooks on an external hard drive. I don't do anything fancy and only open Calibre to peruse the titles and synopses and decide what books to download to my tablet and to add new books to my library of a couple thousands of titles. Each time that I open the program I usually get a notification that a newer version is available (great job, developers!) which I would religiously install until a few months back when I was told that the future releases will no longer support Windows XP.
I recently migrated to a Windows 7 PC, and having kept my Calibre library on an external drive I thought I would be I thought I would have no problems. When my newly downloaded Calibre started and was pointed to the old library, I was notified that the database was corrupted and needed to be repaired. It went through three passes only fail at the very end.
Help, please.
tdp1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Failed with what error message?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
tdp1947

Did not expect an answer from the guru himself. Here are the details:

calibre, version 2.22.0
ERROR: Failed: Restoring database failed, click Show details to see details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line 125, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\db\restore.py", line 273, in replace_db
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied
Old 03-31-2015, 10:24 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Something on your system is blocking calibre, try running the restore from the comamnd line, like this

calibredb restore_database -r

And if you get the same erro there, then likely the permissions on your calibre library files need to be fixed.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 03-31-2015 at 10:28 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
tdp1947

Database problems

Hooray. Got it fixed. First ran the restore as you've suggested, but it quickly came bask with the same errors, then I ran it again after a cd into the calibre directory. Now everything's hunky-dory. Thanks.
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
bob_bookworm
bob_bookworm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Apologies for my ineptitude... I find myself in the very same situation as tdp1947, with the same error message.

Tried running the restore from the command line, I could see some process got to 100%, and then the 'dos window' closed and nothing else happened.

So I tried restoring from inside calibre, and got the usual error message.

The problem is I don't know how to fix the permissions on my calibre library, which is what our master and guru was suggesting.
...and I am the one and only administrator of my PC.

Help, please!
bob_bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You could *try* running calibre with administrative permissions.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_bookworm View Post
Apologies for my ineptitude... I find myself in the very same situation as tdp1947, with the same error message.

Tried running the restore from the command line, I could see some process got to 100%, and then the 'dos window' closed and nothing else happened.

So I tried restoring from inside calibre, and got the usual error message.

The problem is I don't know how to fix the permissions on my calibre library, which is what our master and guru was suggesting.
...and I am the one and only administrator of my PC.

Help, please!
This is an OS level problem (frequently happens when restoring from CD-DVD media after a crashed disk)'
setting <os> file permissions , and/or 'taking ownership'
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:23 AM   #9
bob_bookworm

Thanks for the replies, but as I was trying to explain in my bad English the point is that I don't know how to 'take ownership' or 'run calibre with administrative permissions'.
Would you please elaborate on that?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right-click on the calibre icon and select Run As Administrator.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #11
bob_bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Right-click on the calibre icon and select Run As Administrator.
Thank you, it took me a while before realizing it was really a dumb question.

Anyway my ebooks are definitely gone... I am about to start rebuilding from my kindle, where I kept 50% or so of the whole library.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Gone, as in the files no longer exist on the drive?
Old 06-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you, it took me a while before realizing it was really a dumb question.

Anyway my ebooks are definitely gone... I am about to start rebuilding from my kindle, where I kept 50% or so of the whole library.
You might not be able to see the books (files) if you do not have proper Ownership or rights, Calibre would have created (with warning) a new Library folder if it could not 'see' the other one

Change your Main Library Name. That way, it will be easy to spot when something burped. The default name (Calibre Library) will show

I use MainLib (Really original , I know)
Old 06-19-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
bob_bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Gone, as in the files no longer exist on the drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You might not be able to see the books (files)...
No no, they are still there, by 'gone' I meant irretrievably corrupted, or so it seems.

Meanwhile I have managed to have approx. 50% of the original library synced back from my kindle.
It is a bit of a mess though, now what's left of it has long titles like these: "Winds of War [01] - The Winds of War", "Winds of War [02] - War and Remembrance", and so on...
...tweaks and twists I picked up here on mobileread to use on calibre and then have my ebook titles in the right order within kindle collections.
Anyway this is definitely something I can live with, even more so if the alternative could have been to have no library whatsoever
Old 06-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
No no, they are still there, by 'gone' I meant irretrievably corrupted, or so it seems.

Meanwhile I have managed to have approx. 50% of the original library synced back from my kindle.
It is a bit of a mess though, now what's left of it has long titles like these: "Winds of War [01] - The Winds of War", "Winds of War [02] - War and Remembrance", and so on...
...tweaks and twists I picked up here on mobileread to use on calibre and then have my ebook titles in the right order within kindle collections.
Anyway this is definitely something I can live with, even more so if the alternative could have been to have no library whatsoever

Have you checked the integrity of the Drive?Files do not always get written in contiguous blocks. A drive fault could damage that chain.

Is the drive self powered (from USB Only)? Your port might have marginal power. IMHO External powered (removable) drives are better. But... power bricks can also go bad (trashy power).

Can you pop the drive into a desktop system as a secondary/non-boot drive?

Tags
database corrupted, moving from xp