Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #61
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Playing around with the patch file on my H2O, I have settled on the following footer modification:

Code:
replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 40px;`
replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 40px;`
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 040;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 26px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:12px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:-5px;`
footerMargin again seems to do nothing but left it how I had it before

I had to increase the padding-bottom value to 12 (removed space to make sure exact character length remained the same) to make sure that the "g" of the "Page" read footer wasn't cut off the bottom of the screen. To get the most lines I could per page at my font settings, I used a smaller height of 40 and a negative margin-top (again ensuring that the exact character length of the code remained the same).

I have also used font-family Georgia for the default footer font.

Now, I am curious, can we specify different font-family from Avenir, Amasis, and Georgia for the footer? How about using a side-loaded font for the footer? Has anyone tried this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	915.7 KB
ID:	130251  

Last edited by slantybard; 10-27-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: tweaked code again + added screenshot
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:17 PM   #62
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
In the previous firmware version Kobo used footerMargin values of 15 for Glo/Aura, 20 for AuraHD/H2O and 40 for other devices. For this version Kobo changed the values to 170 for AuraHD/H2O and 105 for other devices. The example patches just preserve the values set by Kobo in case they are important for something.

It should be okay to use other fonts for the footer, but if the font has a long name then you will need to edit the first replace_string in the patch to make it fit. (those of you familliar with css might want to delete all the examples and just work with the first replace_string line by itself anyway.)

I suggest Avenir or Georgia because these fonts are used in other places in the UI, so they are probably already in the device's memory, but you will have to experiment and see what else works.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 06:59 AM   #63
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
In the previous firmware version Kobo used footerMargin values of 15 for Glo/Aura, 20 for AuraHD/H2O and 40 for other devices. For this version Kobo changed the values to 170 for AuraHD/H2O and 105 for other devices. The example patches just preserve the values set by Kobo in case they are important for something.

It should be okay to use other fonts for the footer, but if the font has a long name then you will need to edit the first replace_string in the patch to make it fit. (those of you familliar with css might want to delete all the examples and just work with the first replace_string line by itself anyway.)

I suggest Avenir or Georgia because these fonts are used in other places in the UI, so they are probably already in the device's memory, but you will have to experiment and see what else works.
Ok, then it is "behind" this topic, but for some reason Kobo did change the footermargin values (is it idiot to think that it has something to do with the new function for "one handed" reading so it defines the place counted from bezel as border for the choice between back or forward ? ) so I think when it is important enough for them to do that, it better can be "not touched" ?
With my dislectic problem,I explained before I see pages or posts like pictures,it makes me read at a big speed.
But, I have problems with long strings of numbers, I have to device them into blocks of 2,same with telephone numbers,social security numbers,bank accounts,so I will never manage to edit those long strings
That is why I like the finetune things you made, because I now know how to handle, but the things like min-height and max-height interact with the long first replacestring ?? Because if I ever need to change the big string, I have always ask you for your help..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
That is why I like the finetune things you made, because I now know how to handle, but the things like min-height and max-height interact with the long first replacestring ?? Because if I ever need to change the big string, I have always ask you for your help..
The min-height, etc. strings are also in the long string. I like the way that GeoffR split out the bits of that string that are being replaced since it is easier for most people to work with the shorter strings. In my opinion, it is also easier to notice errors such as a replacement string that is too long with the short strings. For those who have multiple devices, it makes keeping changing setups easier -- just remove the #'s from the one you want to use and add them to the ones you don't want to use.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-28-2014 at 11:38 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #65
gisozar
gisozar began at the beginning.

Thank you very much guys, always a great job

Last edited by gisozar; 10-28-2014 at 02:18 PM.
gisozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #66
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
moved

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-28-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Poster moved their question to a different thread
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #67
gisozar
gisozar began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Works OK for me in v3.11. The weight slider sets and stores weight/sharpness values for the font name you had selected when you used the weight slider. Is it possible you changed fonts? If you change fonts you may be using one which hasn't yet had its preferred weight/thickness set.
Thank you for the answer, I was writing in the wrong thread and I moved my post in the 3.11 general thread. Anyway, I use always Kobo Nickel (but is the same with the other stock fonts) and I didn't installed yet the new "freedom to advanced control" patch.

sorry again for the OT
gisozar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #68
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The min-height, etc. strings are also in the long string. I like the way that GeoffR split out the bits of that string that are being replaced since it is easier for most people to work with the shorter strings. In my opinion, it is also easier to notice errors such as a replacement string that is too long with the short strings. For those who have multiple devices, it makes keeping changing setups easier -- just remove the #'s from the one you want to use and add them to the ones you don't want to use.
Totally agree, as long as I only have to focus on the bits and just comment out the ones I don't need, so I understand that I don't have to worry about the values in the long string,just take it over with the possible changed values,then I think it is possible for me to do it in the future myself, and I have multiple devices so yes, I only have to comment or comment it out for every device.
As long as I don't have to change things in the long string myself i can handle it,if I have to make changes as per device in that long string then I can forget it, thanks for making this clear for me.

Last edited by Nick_1964; 10-28-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #69
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Playing around with the patch file on my H2O, I have settled on the following footer modification:

Code:
footerMargin again seems to do nothing but left it how I had it before
I really like the way this looks, but I have a question: Have you tried this with a larger font size? I seem to remember doing something similar in a previous firmware version, and it looked great when the font was small, but it cut off the tops and bottoms of letters if I increased the font size. Just wondering. Thanks.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #70
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I really like the way this looks, but I have a question: Have you tried this with a larger font size? I seem to remember doing something similar in a previous firmware version, and it looked great when the font was small, but it cut off the tops and bottoms of letters if I increased the font size. Just wondering. Thanks.
I tried it with larger sizes and there was no text cut off. I will attach screenshots of the larger text when I get home and can transfer off the pictures. Edit: screenshots of larger text (Scalzi Old Man War) added.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screen01.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	130283   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen02.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	130284  

Last edited by slantybard; 10-28-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: added screenshots of larger text.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #71
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Thanks for the thoughts about changing the footer font. I have now done the following:

Custom footer code for H2O:
Quote:
and:

Quote:
replace_string = DBDC92, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family: Delima;`
As per my earlier post, all string lengths carefully kept the same.

To get the font of the footer to match my custom side loaded font, I changed the custom font metrics to "Delima" (you need to use a typography program to do this) and dropped the fake "Delima" fonts into the fonts folder on my Aura H2O. Now, the H2O thinks my custom font is the system font Delima. I also changed the font-family in the footer string in the libnickel patch file to Delima and then patched as per normal.

**I had to refresh the fonts on my device for this to show up properly - I did this by changing the font in the book I was reading**

Below is the screenshot showing the results where both the book text and the footer text are the same custom side-loaded font. This also worked at larger sizes.

A big thanks to all those who helped in answering my questions AND for making it possible to patch my device!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	customfooterpatchresult.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	130285  
Old 10-29-2014, 02:28 AM   #72
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
I tried it with larger sizes and there was no text cut off. I will attach screenshots of the larger text when I get home and can transfer off the pictures. Edit: screenshots of larger text (Scalzi Old Man War) added.
Thank you! I'm changing my patch settings to these.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 04:50 AM   #73
neil74
Connoisseur
neil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to beholdneil74 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo aura
This new version is driving me mad! On my Aura before the upgrade I had the footer settings perfect but I cannot do any better than the attached now. Not terrible but there are still a good 2 or 3 wasted lines there.

# Example for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:13px;`

Also anybody know how to run the patcher on a mac? No joy so far so I am having to use my work PC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-01 07-56-12.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	130435  
neil74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #74
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil74 View Post
This new version is driving me mad! On my Aura before the upgrade I had the footer settings perfect but I cannot do any better than the attached now. Not terrible but there are still a good 2 or 3 wasted lines there.

# Example for Glo/Aura:
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom:13px;`

Also anybody know how to run the patcher on a mac? No joy so far so I am having to use my work PC
For my Glo I use this:
Code:
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 105;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 28px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 7px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:10px;`
Leaving just one line between txt and footer.
It seems like the first 2 strings define how big the footer is, but if the total of the other exeedes the min or max hight it wents totally out of balance.
At me, when font size,padding bottom and marging top are not "around" the min or max height it wents out of balance.
When I remove the padding bottom value, or change the margin-top, my logics say, there is more space within the footer margings, but when I do that, the text is 3 of 4 lines higher and the footer size is bigger (more blanc lines between txt and footer) so I don't understand exactly what happens but with above patcher my page is perfect.
(I do have to go after patch into the margins menu and move some sliders so the page is rendered again,or else the footer is under the bezel)
I hope this works okay for you.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:26 AM   #75
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Before starting:

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

4. In Windows double-click 3.11.0.bat; For Linux/mac run ./3.11.0.sh from the command line.

5. If there were no errors, copy the resulting KoboRoot.tgz from the 3.11.0_target subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

I thought there WERE instructions for mac users here!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote