Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #46
dedalos
dedalos began at the beginning.

Device: kobo GLO
What value must modify for change dimensions of number of page character?
dedalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #47
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalos View Post
What value must modify for change dimensions of number of page character?
This value:
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 28px;`
For my Glo I use above one to made the txt bigger (the value 28)
For my Aura HD i use:
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 35px;`
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #48
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Seeing the threads about changing the "Page xx of yy" to "xx/yy" or "xx / yy", I was wondering if it is possible to change the footer to show "xx/yy zz%"? - then I could have both the page number and percent read.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #49
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantybard View Post
Seeing the threads about changing the "Page xx of yy" to "xx/yy" or "xx / yy", I was wondering if it is possible to change the footer to show "xx/yy zz%"? - then I could have both the page number and percent read.
I think you are limited to the space that is there,and the patch only changes a value, what you want is a changed value and a new value, that can't be done by only changing the values for only one address, if it could be done, I think it must be patched into A always show percentage in footer and B change xx of yy into the preferred one,but then you must look out that the xx of yy isn't centered anymore because then it is projected over the percentage value or vice versa... it will be not that easy because there must be added some code (imho) to place the percentage on the left and the xx of yy must be not in the middle,but in the middle of the space left.
Sure it can be done, but imho not by a simple patch.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #50
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Played a bit with these settings.
I use this settings now for Glo and Aura HD:

# Example for Nick's Aura HD:
#replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 50px;`
#replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 50px;`
#replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 170;`
#replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 35px;`
#replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 8px;`
#replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:13px;`

Gives me this result: ( still a bit to much wasted space on the Aura HD bottom,but I can't get that better.)
When I looked at the changes you used for your Aura HD, I noticed you used a footer margin of 170, a margin-top of 13 and a font size of 36. I think that those values are contributing to your wasted space on the bottom.

On my H2O, I am using the following values which give me more lines of text on the bottom compared to your screenshot:

Code:
replace_string = D54355, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 50px;`
replace_string = D54368, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 50px;`
replace_string = D54385, `footerMargin: 40;`, `footerMargin: 20;`
replace_string = D5439F, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 26px;`
replace_string = D543B1, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 8px;`
replace_string = D543C7, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`

I tried searching the various patcher threads, but couldn't find a really good detailed explanation describing what each variable is. I am guessing that:
-max & min height sets the vertical dimension of the footer text box
-font-size (obvious)
-margin-top sets the distance from the footer text box top and the bottom of the body text box?

My uncertainty comes when I try and figure out the differences between footerMargin and padding-bottom. What dimension is the padding referring to? The distance between the bottom of the screen and the footer text box? How would this compare to the footerMargin?
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #51
Nick_1964
Bookworm

For as far as I know, there are two values in a string, the current one, and the replacing one.
So yours:
Can't be into mine as the default already is 105.. I could lower the replace a bit or keep it equal but I don't know what happens if I lower it into the default value.
The #replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:13px;` does, if I am informed right by GeoffR shift the xx of yy a bit higher so it isn't equal to the bezel...
I can play a bit with this values, but this patch is "pre-made" for me, so I don't want to much changes because like you, I don't know exactly where the values stand for.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #52
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'm using these values for my footer style. I don't have a screenshot, but it looks pretty tight (when the text actually reaches the bottom of the available area):

Code:
replace_string = DBDC0D, `min-height: 70px;`, `min-height: 30px;`
replace_string = DBDC20, `max-height: 70px;`, `max-height: 30px;`
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin:  15;`
replace_string = DBDC58, `font-size: 16px;`, `font-size: 20px;`
replace_string = DBDC6A, `padding-bottom: 0px;`, `padding-bottom: 2px;`
replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top: 0px;`

replace_string = DBDC92, `/*font-family:none;*/`, `font-family: Georgia;
but this is an Aura, not HD or H2O
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #53
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Quote:
For as far as I know, there are two values in a string, the current one, and the replacing one.
So yours:
Can't be into mine as the default already is 105.. I could lower the replace a bit or keep it equal but I don't know what happens if I lower it into the default value.
The #replace_string = DBDC80, `margin-top: 0px;`, `margin-top:13px;` does, if I am informed right by GeoffR shift the xx of yy a bit higher so it isn't equal to the bezel...
I can play a bit with this values, but this patch is "pre-made" for me, so I don't want to much changes because like you, I don't know exactly where the values stand for.
You can lower the default footerMargin below the default number.

The info about margin-top makes it even more confusing. If margin-top describes distance from bezel to footer xx of yy, then what does the padding-bottom and footerMargin variables describe? It's too bad there isn't a diagram showing all the variables...if I ever figure out each variable I might put a diagram up for the footer customization.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #54
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
You can lower the default footerMargin below the default number.

The info about margin-top makes it even more confusing. If margin-top describes distance from bezel to footer xx of yy, then what does the padding-bottom and footerMargin variables describe? It's too bad there isn't a diagram showing all the variables...if I ever figure out each variable I might put a diagram up for the footer customization.
I can't help you with all the answers and with every new firmware the numbers change where the patch is "injected" (the address) the only thing I know is that GeoffR always uses the same sequence so I know which values to change or not, but the problem is,with every new added or changed value I need to load it on the reader,then safely remove it from the usb port, reboot the reader and that twice,having a Glo and an Aura HD,they used different values for every device,generate the update file again,tranfer it.. I can't provide you with all the answer, I just read all the different posts and comments just trying to learn,keep the old firmware patches (from even before 2.8) just to compare them and try to be independant for the next one to come because I don't want to bother people all the time
Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #55
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
The parts of the footer patch CSS are:
- min-height/max-height: sets the height of the footer
- font-size: height of the text within the footer (vertical position of text within footer depends on font-family)
- margin-top: minimum space between the top of the footer and the book text
- padding-bottom: space between the bezel and the bottom of the footer
- footerMargin: I have no idea what this does. As far as I can tell it does nothing.
Code:
                     BOOK TEXT
               ----------------------
                                     } <-- margin-top
               ----------------------
                                     }
font size --> {    Page 34 of 408    } <-- min-height/max-height
                                     }
               ----------------------
                                     } <-- padding-bottom
               ----------------------
                       BEZEL
Edit: Other things that can affect the gap between footer and book text:
- the font-family used for the book text (some fonts such as Gothic sit lower on the line, occupying some of the footer gap)
- widows/orphans settings in the book (can be disabled with the `Fix page breaks bug` patch)
- @page margins settings in the book (can be stripped easily with Modify ePub plugin)
- .xpgt settings in the book (.xpgt file and links can be deleted easily with Modify ePub plugin)
- `ePub adjustable top/bottom margins` and `ePub fixed top margin` patches (these override the @page margin settings in the book)

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-27-2014 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Other things ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:06 PM   #56
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Thanks GeoffR for the explanation. That helps me a great deal.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:28 AM   #57
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Wow GeoffR such a simple but very clear drawing, thank you !!
But what does the footerMargin value ?

Last edited by Nick_1964; 10-27-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #58
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Quote:
Wow GeoffR such a simple but very clear drawing, thank you !!
But what does the footerMargin value ?
From GeoffR's explanation to me and from reading the 47+ pages of the original kobo patching thread, it appears that no one at MR understands what the footerMargin is for. We would need someone on the kobo dev team to answer this but I suspect that they wouldn't give us an answer.

Thanks for the diagram GeoffR.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:38 PM   #59
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
- footerMargin: I have no idea what this does. As far as I can tell it does nothing.
When I saw this
Code:
# Example for AuraHD/H2O:
replace_string = DBDC3D, `footerMargin: 105;`, `footerMargin: 170;`
in the default libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch file I thought maybe you'd deciphered the magic code, but based on your comment, it appears not
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #60
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
From GeoffR's explanation to me and from reading the 47+ pages of the original kobo patching thread, it appears that no one at MR understands what the footerMargin is for. We would need someone on the kobo dev team to answer this but I suspect that they wouldn't give us an answer.
But then, what is the goal of this part,why would you patch it, why are there different values for Glo or Aura HD when no ones know what the value does.
If you don't know what it does, I don't see a reason for different values for Aura HD or Glo.
At the other hand, I changed it in several other values and I can't see anything changing ?