Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Alternative Readers - Pros and Cons

Mostly out of curiosity last night I followed the instructions in the "Adding alternative readers..." thread and had a play with Koreader and Coolreader.

That thread and the related ones in the developer's forum are about how-to install and avoiding resolving various pitfalls and problems. However what I wondered was - what are the main reasons people are installing these for? What are the "killer" features?

For me they seem OK but there's nothing that jumped out as being so much better than the built in reader software. I did try "night mode" but think I prefer it the normal mode more.

Is it about support for different formats? More control over layout etc?

Just curious.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Mostly out of curiosity last night I followed the instructions in the "Adding alternative readers..." thread and had a play with Koreader and Coolreader.

That thread and the related ones in the developer's forum are about how-to install and avoiding resolving various pitfalls and problems. However what I wondered was - what are the main reasons people are installing these for? What are the "killer" features?

For me they seem OK but there's nothing that jumped out as being so much better than the built in reader software. I did try "night mode" but think I prefer it the normal mode more.

Is it about support for different formats? More control over layout etc?

Just curious.
Two reasons that seem to pop up fairly often is the support for more formats such as the old fb2 format and the better handling of .pdf files. At this point, there is no support for .lit ebooks which I do have a fair collection of though most have been converted to epub with convertlit and then editing with sigil to clean up the results.

The ebooks I keep on my Kobo are either in .epub or .cbr/cbz format but I keep playing with Koreader (using advboot). Night mode is available with the stock reader using a patch as is the two finger gestures for the older (prior to the Aura and it's capacitive touch screen) models.

I do find the patches based on Metazoa's work useful and so far, I haven't had issues with them.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Like David said, it's PDFs. For me anyway. It makes reading PDFs on a small screen pretty comfortable. Bookshelf management is secondary for me. If the stock reader handled PDFs well I'd spend the time learning how to get the bookshelves working.

The one con I have is the inability to search within a book using koreader.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I've just gotten an Aura, and haven't yet installed any alternative reader, but one of the reasons I'm considering koreader is reading epubs in landscape orientation.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura, Arc 10HD
For me using CoolReader on phone/tablet AND Aura is a seamless experience.
Now KOReader has it's own Android version so again, you maintain the same user "look and feel" across platforms.
Aaaaand...if you like tinkering, there is a ton of options on each of these 2 readers. Nickel is pretty minimalist.
ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
Mr_Ploppy
Mr_Ploppy doesn't litterMr_Ploppy doesn't litter

Device: kobo Mini
I have to Kobo mini.

Nickles does not allow you to rotate the screen, only on PDF. Leaves you with a lot of empty screen even with margins set to small. Mini does not have a lot of screen to begin with so need to fill it up.

KoReader has rotation and has a night mode (mini has no light)

Coolreader has rotation and search which KoReader does not have, no night mode though.
Mr_Ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #7
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
For me (on Kobo Mini) there are two killer features.
1.) Free configurable tapzones. I have configured Koreader to tap anywhere to page forward. To page back I still can swipe. I absolutely don't understand why this is not the default setting or at least a choice in the Kobo settings! (This goes to all readers, as far as I know none offers a feature even close to this one)
2.) Folders. While I can understand why folks prefer to have all their tags and series or whatever in a reader database I really cannot stand how long Kobo takes after you load a bulk of books on the device. With koreader I put the books in a hidden folder (that prevents Nickel from seeing them), and after an update I can start reading immediately. No more bothering with corrupt databases!
I just talked about Koreader, Coolreader can do both of the above, I just don't use it since I can't mark text passages in Coolreader. This is another killer feature for me (which Nickel can do too) and therefore a nogo for Coolreader.
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote