Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #676
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
So I did a git pull and a build of the provisional 0.5? I get a timeout-load fail and no obvious developer/crashlog updates since the log adjustments.

Although I DO get the new log file, which is nice.

I am interested to know if I did it "right" since the stepk build I was testing didn't do this.

Will reboot my devices, strip out the extensions dir and try again.
Cheers
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 AM   #677
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5 B011 5.3.2.1
github's down ATM so I can't trace your steps. will try again later.
stepk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #678
stepk
Groupie
stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stepk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So I cloned a fresh copy, added the two required local files, and built a new awz2 file, which runs just fine on my KT. Can't test other platforms, sorry. Let me place this build on knetconnect for you...

edit: done

Last edited by stepk; 04-07-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 AM   #679
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks man... I'll do a diff see where I screwed up

EDIT: Nope... It's still annoyed. Good to know it wasn't something I did.

Will remove all extensions and see if I can find the culprit.

Question... Is the /mnt/us/extensions/system folder excluded from parsing?
I'll go code dive. It really should be if it isn't : )

Last edited by twobob; 04-07-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:23 AM   #680
twobob

hmm... Let me try that on the touch next then. It's the PW that doesn't like it.

EDIT: Nope. Crashes the touch too... Hmm... Oddness.

Last edited by twobob; 04-07-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 06:08 AM   #681
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Thanks man... I'll do a diff see where I screwed up

EDIT: Nope... It's still annoyed. Good to know it wasn't something I did.

Will remove all extensions and see if I can find the culprit.

Question... Is the /mnt/us/extensions/system folder excluded from parsing?
I'll go code dive. It really should be if it isn't : )
No subfolder in /mnt/us/extensions is excluded from searching for config.xml files. When a config.xml file is found to point to a xyz.json file that json file is then parsed.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #682
twobob

Ah.. well.. yada/system could at some point get LARGE on some devices...

probably worth the exception
Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #683
stepk
Groupie

Searching could be optionally restricted in a couple of ways:
1. hard list of excluded folders
2. limit search to depth N
I favor #2. As a matter of fact I favor making N=1 the default behavior and adding an option to increase search depth beyond 1.
N=1 ensures faster start up time for all users - tough non-noticeable unless a user has a MEGA extensions folder. N=1 also drives menu developers to place their (possibly nested) menus at level 1 for maximum compatibility.
Any thoughts?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #684
twobob

I agree with that completely. No recursive unless specified.

And maybe single exception for excluding the /extensions/system folder
(as that should probably never be parsed)

I think I may have found the other issue btw. The processes appear to still be running. (pictured) perhaps that is the cause...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_371.png
Views:	230
Size:	955 Bytes
ID:	104002  
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #685
stepk
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I agree with that completely. No recursive unless specified.

And maybe single exception for excluding the /extensions/system folder
(as that should probably never be parsed)
I'll see to it
Quote:
I think I may have found the other issue btw. The processes appear to still be running. (pictured) perhaps that is the cause...
That would definitely be a problem. Does it happen both on the KT and PW? Looking at the PID spread I'm thinking that some of those processes were started before today.

EDIT: No, that is not the cause. It's the effect. It's started happening here too, for no apparent reason. It's actually good news, because now I have a chance to x-ray a kindle when the crash is happening.
BTW, I'm going to push a new version with the search options that we've discussed earlier today. You get both depth limit and path exclusion, with 'system' excluded by default. It does make quite a difference when /mnt/us/extensions/system exists. RSN on github, then I'll tackle this crash issue.

Last edited by stepk; 04-07-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #686
twobob

hmm could be. I will dig into it now I have noticed!

Thanks mate

EDIT: Although it makes me think of bit of "environment sanity" code would not go amiss in the future...

Last edited by twobob; 04-07-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #687
stepk
Groupie

Just pushed to github "New options and default values speed up scanning /mnt/us/extensions"
Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #688
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepk View Post
Just pushed to github "New options and default values speed up scanning /mnt/us/extensions"
nice one! still struggling to figure out if the new { runthing } >> blah/log format is failing to terminate gracefully..

Will grab a slice and test again

EDIT: Pulled. Great metrics btw!

Last edited by twobob; 04-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #689
twobob

I'm going to try hacking

Code:
// wrap cmd inside {} to support backgrounding multiple commands and redirecting stderr
bw.write("{ " + init + cmd + " ; } 2>>/var/tmp/KUAL.log"
	+ (background ? " &" : ""));

about and see where it gets me

EDIT: ah...
Quote:
Thread group could not be destroyed - threads still alive:
Thread 1 => [Name=process reaper,ThreadGroup=Kindlet-Group-KUAL].
I was right...

I just literally "Laughed Out Loud" on the changelogs mate. 1 Septillion! HAHAHAHA. I love your changelogs, they really are fun reading. Thanks.

Gonna jump over and make a new build in 20 mins or so after I tidy up last nights manglings.

Last edited by twobob; 04-08-2013 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #690
twobob

got the latest pull down now.

Gonna reboot, but this looks much better

EDIT: Yup. So much better.

Just that lower device navigation niggle.
I'll give my buddy a ring tomorrow see about getting the busted up kindle 3 a new screen for stepk so he can play too...

I think this one is good enough to be classed V1.0 (but don't wanna get too excited again so maybe 0.5 it is...)

TODO: set screen resolution larger than 1024 vertical so my screenshots fit on one page lol Done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_379.png
Views:	221
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	104070  

Last edited by twobob; 04-08-2013 at 04:23 PM.

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified