Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast
fleaaaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
Smile Kindle on the beach?

Hey I am actually a sony reader owner but I watched a lot of the kindle adverts and some things I just didn't think I would dare do with my reader. One advert has a dog licking a kindle, I'm sure it wouldn't do it any harm but I wouldn't let the dog do that, just in case. Another advert showed two people reading a kindle on the beach, I'm just not sure I would take my reader there. It's expensive and unless someone is there to watch it, (really watch it! Not falling asleep) I am not sure I could leave it and go to swim like I would a paper book. Anyway, thoughts?
fleaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
And make sure you don't get sand in the kindle or any other electronic reader. Did that to a cell phone some years ago before I knew about electronic books and the phone was never the same again.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I've used my Kindle on a beach numerous times. I put it in a ziploc bag
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I agree with the Ziploc comment. That seems to be the best way to go, if you take an e-reader to the beach. I also agree that it's not something I'd leave lying around when I went off somewhere else. Just sounds like a bad idea.

I've seen the same advertisements. The one on the beach is actually the more reasonable commercial. The only thing that I think hurts it a bit is when the woman says she paid more for her sunglasses. Not sure I'd like to say I have anything in common with someone who'd pay $140 for sunglasses.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast

The advert

The advert I saw didn't have any talking but two people together were using white kindles on the beach with no kind of covers. I think I'd rather just take a paper book on holiday/to the beach I don't read very fast anyway so it's never a problem of not having enough books for me. I'm just very cautious with it, it costs a great deal more than a book.
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry. The commercial I was talking about doesn't take place at a beach. It takes place beside what appears to be a hotel's pool.

Last edited by bhartman36; 04-06-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
fleaaaaaa
Enthusiast

So cheesy

That is such a cheesy advert and the other kindle adverts are all way better and do actually make me want one though I have a perfectly good reader and don't like the keyboard on the kindle.

Some funny comments off youtube, what a wonderful place....
"it's a Kindle. $149.00 I actually paid more for these sunglasses."
"Wow you got ripped off twice."

"Excuse me. How are you reading that, in this light?"
"It's a book. Cost me 5 bucks."

I don't know about the sun thing though. Okay so it doesn't reflect but if a light is behind me inside I can see it on the book and it does get in the way of reading (although I can move the book so it's not there), isn't this the same in the sun?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I've taken my Sony 505 to the beach the last 2 summers and I love it. I bought an M-edge cover that zips up and has a clear front. My beach chair has a pocket so I just put it there when not using. I used to haul several boxes of books to the beach for a 2 week vacation and it is SO much nicer to just bring my reader loaded with books. Here is a link to a waterproof kindle case from Amazon or you could just go with the ziploc bag. http://www.amazon.com/Version-Trendy...2121228&sr=1-1
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Can someone please tell me, why I always read the readers are expensive? I mean they cost the equivalent of 10 to 20 new books??? All of us have at least bought a hundred new books and a couple of hundred all in all and still I read constantly things like: the reader cost me so much! Or: It was expensive...

I don't get it. My 350 cost 180€ thats 255$ which is a lot more than you pay in the States for it (its 129$ in the US) and I still don't think it is expensive. With all the freebies and deals there is no need to buy a lot of books so it saves me some in the long run.

It already has saved me money. I spent about a hundred each month on books and now it is down to 20€ to 30€.

So please, do tell me, why you think it is expensive! I really wanna know!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
My friend does not make a lot of money but she reads tons of books - from the library or from friend. But, yes, in this economy especially, money is tight and to some folks that is a LOT of money. And then if we get into the old/existing dispute about how much ebooks cost versus pbooks, well, that even more money.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
My friend does not make a lot of money but she reads tons of books - from the library or from friend. But, yes, in this economy especially, money is tight and to some folks that is a LOT of money. And then if we get into the old/existing dispute about how much ebooks cost versus pbooks, well, that even more money.
The Kindle is 140$ which can't be more than 10% of a net income. How can that be a LOT? You don't buy it each month. Even if it were a new one each year, it would come down to 12,50$ per month...
Old 04-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
The Kindle is 140$ which can't be more than 10% of a net income. How can that be a LOT? You don't buy it each month. Even if it were a new one each year, it would come down to 12,50$ per month...
Poppaea, no offence, but I know a few US friends who have to rely on food coupons to feed their family, and I am talking average middle class people, so yes, 140 $ can mean a lot, as in "do we get the car fixed this month or do we get a kindle ?". And I am not even talking of "my house is in foreclosure, should I get a kindle". There is a major structural change happening in the US right now, not very different from what happened in the 30's, many decent and hardworking families are struggling.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaaaaaa View Post
I don't know about the sun thing though. Okay so it doesn't reflect but if a light is behind me inside I can see it on the book and it does get in the way of reading (although I can move the book so it's not there), isn't this the same in the sun?
I've noticed that with artificial light, too. If a lamp is just over my shoulder, I might get a small reflection off the plastic on the Kindle. But I think the commercial actually illustrates the situation pretty well: With an LCD screen (and I've seen this with the phones I've used outside, as well as my tablet) bright sunlight washes the screen out, making it very hard to read. With the Kindle (and other e-ink readers), bright sunlight is your friend. It's different from reading under a lamp, because the light isn't as concentrated.

That's just what I've experienced, anyway.

I still find it most surprising that someone would pay $140 for sunglasses. Amazon only has a few pairs that expensive on their website.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
With the Kindle (and other e-ink readers), bright sunlight is your friend. It's different from reading under a lamp, because the light isn't as concentrated.

That's just what I've experienced, anyway.

I still find it most surprising that someone would pay $140 for sunglasses. Amazon only has a few pairs that expensive on their website.
Yes, the Kindle loves the sunlight and reading in the sun with a good e-ink screen is a delight. I am in southern Spain and most of my reading is done outside in full sunlight, so that is a major feature for me.

Re sunglasses: well, good ones are expensive over here.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Poppaea, no offence, but I know a few US friends who have to rely on food coupons to feed their family, and I am talking average middle class people, so yes, 140 $ can mean a lot, as in "do we get the car fixed this month or do we get a kindle ?". And I am not even talking of "my house is in foreclosure, should I get a kindle". There is a major structural change happening in the US right now, not very different from what happened in the 30's, many decent and hardworking families are struggling.
No offense taken. I was asking.

But is this really a relevant argument? When I'd be out of job or something like that I would not necessarily buy a gadget. But when I do buy one, I have a job and then I would not consider it terribly expensive. I'd probably have to save up for it for two or three month, maybe even longer, but for those who have to worry about their food bill there is the library.

Tags
beach, kindle, reader