Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 AM   #1
silverfox55
silverfox55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Copy kindle contents to calibre

Hi
Sometime ago I tried calibre to try and copy the contents of my kindle to calibre. It would not copy the books and collections over. I read somewhere about a plugin and installed that, still no joy.

Has Calibre been developed further where it is easy to copy the collections and books from a Kindle to Calibre. Or, do you still have to be a professor in computing to do it.

When I tried before I just uninstalled Calibre as it was not fit for purpose.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I don't know if this is the recommended method, but I would first copy the books from the Kindle to a folder on the computer (how you do that depends on your system; in Windows, it's a straight drag-and-drop). Then drag the corresponding files from that folder into Calibre.

Of course, there might be DRM issues, but that's another matter.

As for Calibre not being fit for purpose, that depends on what you think its purpose is. I use it to keep track of my book collection, and also to edit the metadata and sometimes change the books' covers. For those purposes, it is extremely fit.

Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
silverfox55

That would be possible. It was however my understanding that Calibre was supposed to do this. Obviously not. I have seen comments about how wonderful Calibre was for transfering books etc.

It would seem that all the hype about Calibre is sheer bluster when it cannot copy books and collections over via its own interface. That is why i said it was not fit for purpose when it cannot do the simple things.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Hi

To copy the books into Calibre. when the kindle is connected you select the device icon in calibre.

Select all the books you want to add then right click and select add to library.

If you want to transfer your collections, your kindle would have to be jailbroken and you would need the coolections manager installed on your kindle.

see the following thread for specific details.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186305
Old 03-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You should have posted this in the Calibre forum, and who knows, you might have picked up some useful information on how to use Calibre if you'd looked in that forum before posting. It seems Calibre is pretty wasted on you anyway?! Learn how to use it and what it can be used for and it's an incredibly useful bit of software - and it's free to boot!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
silverfox55

All I wanted was a simple way of copying my collections complete with books into Calibre. Given all the hype about Calibre I thought it was a simple process. Evidently it is far from it, and anything else for that matter.
Also the link provided is not for a K3 which I have.
So all in all the common advice here is
Dont bother as it is very time consuming and not for beginners.
Calibre is not for ordinary people
dont come to this forum for advice.

Thanks very much !!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #7
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
If you had actually stated which Kindle you had, in your profile in the first place!

If you took the time to explore calibre you would find what a great tool it is. Kovid and the other developers on here put a lot of Time and effort into making life easier for people, all for no reward.

If it bothers you so much get off your arse and code it yourself or pay for someone to do it for you.

You wont get anymore help from me I'm out of here
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
You've been given some advice? It is very easy to copy your books from your Kindle into Calibre with a couple of clicks of your mouse as alanHd has already explained. Collections are a bit more complicated though and requires you to use a collections plug-in in Calibre (I *think*), and possibly jailbreaking your Kindle depending on what version you have.

Remember though, Calibre is the library management tool, not your Kindle so generally creating collections in Calibre, sorting your books into them and copying all of that across to your Kindle is the way to do it, not the other way around.

Try posting your query in the Calibre forum and you'll get more help regarding collections, but perhaps don't be so rude about the excellent free software and people will no doubt be happy to help.

But to sum it up, going on your last reply despite people trying to help, I'm with alan, enjoy your Kindle but if that last post is typical of how you respond......

Last edited by soulfuldog; 03-30-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Silverfox,

If you don't want to use Calibre, that's entirely up to you. But I wouldn't write it off just because it cannot perform one particular task (copying collections). If you take the time to explore it, you'll find that it is an incredibly useful piece of software. It wouldn't have such a huge user base if it wasn't.

As for your remark about not coming to this forum for advice, I can only say that I have had several problems with my Kindle over the years, and the advice I've received here has always been excellent. I'm not a technical expert in these matters, but I've always been able to solve my problems with the help of the regulars in this forum (who, by the way, all give their time freely and without personal reward).

Mike
Old 03-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.....
Old 03-31-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
silverfox55

Looks like you have just confirmed and backed up my comment
Old 03-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Wow silverfox55. Has anyone ever mentioned that you have communication problems. I suggest Carnegie's "How to win friends and influence people" for your e-reader. The people on this forum are your best source of kindle information so try not to piss them off.

Calibre is a general purpose e-book library program. It is not Kindle specific although it works great with Kindle. You can transfer non-drm'd books back to your kindle as described above by choosing the device tab, selecting the books and adding back to library. DRM books are another process.

If you fill out your profile correctly and go over to the Calibre forum, Kovid is always receptive to upgrade requests. Ultimately if Calibre does not do what you want you are going to have a very hard time finding any other program that does. Happy Easter.

Last edited by Stingo; 03-31-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
That was very nice of you to continue to try helping him Stingo but sadly there is no cure for Grumpy Old Man syndrome. OP doesn't want to listen so there's no point. They came here PO'd with a closed mind. There's nothing anyone could have done but simply say goodbye.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Calibre is for managing ebooks, not managing Kindles or other ebook readers. That it is constantly updated to allow interfacing with various devices is a nice plus, and must be a PITA for the developer. There is no application that is going to store your collections and backup your Kindle ebook library out-of-the-box.

I think it would be nice if Amazon offered a desktop solution (similar to iTunes) but they don't. Like most everyone these days, they are going with a cloud backup/storage solution.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
silverfox55 was extremely rude to the members here who were trying to help him.

Since this forum is not for him - "Don't come to this forum for advice" - this thread is now closed.

Don
(Moderator)
Closed Thread