Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #76
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't understand why some people make a big deal out of tracking every book they read, I figure either it made an impression on you or it didn't. A few in the former everything else in the later...
But if it did not make an impression you want to remember that so you do not read the book again by mistake.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #77
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But if it did not make an impression you want to remember that so you do not read the book again by mistake.
Speak for yourself! That's exactly the type of book that I want to read since I can read it several times over without spending an extra dime.

(Yes, I'm a cheapskate.)
Old 12-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #78
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Speak for yourself! That's exactly the type of book that I want to read since I can read it several times over without spending an extra dime.

(Yes, I'm a cheapskate.)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #79
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:

(Yes, I'm a cheapskate.)
Well, there are probably other ways also to find not so good things to consume that does not cost any money. I made the mistaken assumption that the goal here was to read good books.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #80
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
One thing I want out of my ereader, is the most advanced one available. Does that mean the most fonts, not necessarily, does that mean complicated, definitly no. My kindle is good but I want faster access to my books with not a single bug or glitch in site. I want a book store that knows me better then I know myself. One that understands that I am unwilling to pay those huge book prices you see in the best sellers lists. I want a book store that gives the new talent a chance to get recognized. I want more free contnet than anyone. I want a book store that understands that price and tallent don't normally related to each other.

That's why I am with amazon. More free than anyone on the planet. The book store understands my reading preferences and never bothers with prices over $8 because I am simply not willing to pay more than that. PS when I go through 80 books a year prices can really add up.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #81
deddajay
Cynical Pragmatist
deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.deddajay beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1 & PW2, Samsung Tab S7+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I'm all for less features on my reader to keep me happy. My Sony 350s are perfect for me. I don't need or even want internet, I prefer to side-load my books and keep everything in one place in a Calibre library. I also added a "Read" column in Calibre where I keep track of the books I've read without having to go to another website. I have games installed with PRS+ but I don't play them at all.

If I want to listen to an audio book (can't remember the last time I did that though) or listen to music, I have a tiny Sansa Clip mp3 player that's much smaller and lighter than carrying an ereader around for that. And I'm no longer obsessed keeping every single book on my reader at all times, I only keep about 100 on now.

I don't want to read on a phone or on a bigger tablet, I only want to read on e-ink since I read outdoors a lot and back lit screens are just garbage for reading in the sun.

It's "KISS" for me as far as my ereader goes.
Agree with the above, I love my PRS650 with PRS+ because it is simple, and I also read outdoors a lot. I prefer to side load using Calibre because I can organise my collections my way. I don't use Facebook, Twitter etc - I don't want to provide a chapter by chapter discussion about what I'm reading to others - how boring is that! I don't want to make notes or copy quotes although I can appreciate that this could be useful for text books. I just want to get lost in a good book without distractions and have access to a decent dictionary, a way of organising my own library and using my preferred choice of font.

My beloved PRS 650 gave up the ghost a few weeks ago and I looked around for an alternative. Not finding one I liked, I invested in a new battery and I'm hoping it will give me a couple more years of reading. The only thing that I would wish for would be a built in light, but I don't want all the other bells and whistles that seem to go with it. I have a smart phone for all that.
deddajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #82
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Less (preferably none) bells and whistles unrelated to reading, (mini games, web, mail, etc.) as much reading related features (glyphs, languages, hyphenation, typography) as possible. Let the reading systems be just that.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #83
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have not played any games on any of my ereaders and probably never will. I would rather read.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #84
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Of the 2 things I wanted most one is now out, light. Let there be light. I hated clip on lights. The only other feature I would love to see is folders on the kindle. I like to organise how I like. It would make life easier.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #85
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
Of the 2 things I wanted most one is now out, light. Let there be light. I hated clip on lights. The only other feature I would love to see is folders on the kindle. I like to organise how I like. It would make life easier.

applesauce
Agree about the light! Don't care about folders - I only put a few current books to read on my devices anyway. My collection is stored in Calibre and simple files.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #86
Arbait
Connoisseur
Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arbait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage pocket eDGe,Pyrus mini, NOOK HD+, KAO, S6, S8, KP4, Note 10+
1. unbreakable screen
2. capacitative recharge (no cable)
3. waterproof
4. shockproof
Arbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #87
alyxie
Enthusiast
alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.alyxie considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: none
All the features I want is related to reading content and keeping track of the stuff I want to read again. No games or video though audio might be nice once in a while.

1. stable OS
2. durability (not only physically but the insides should be able to take my reading pace, I use my ereaders long and hard)
3. folders
4. search by summary or title (I read huge numbers of fanfics from different sites, I don't want to go to storyfinders every time I want to find a particular fanfic).

Last edited by alyxie; 12-26-2012 at 05:08 AM.
alyxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #88
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Less (preferably none) bells and whistles unrelated to reading, (mini games, web, mail, etc.) as much reading related features (glyphs, languages, hyphenation, typography) as possible. Let the reading systems be just that.
Different people use ereaders for different reasons. Even though I support the idea of more reading related features and less unrelated features, I have seen a lot of people use ereaders on buses. Something tells me that mini-games are targeted at them. Things like web support may reflect a gap in the market when it comes to cellular service and tablets: it is hard to find sunlight readable displays. Do you blame ereader vendors for trying to exploit this gap in the market?
Old 12-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Things like web support may reflect a gap in the market when it comes to cellular service and tablets: it is hard to find sunlight readable displays.
Web support is much more about wirelessly delivering firmware updates and (more importantly) allowing people to easily buy content from the manufacturer's bookstore, to my mind.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #90
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I don't understand why some people make a big deal out of tracking every book they read, I figure either it made an impression on you or it didn't. A few in the former everything else in the later...
Actually, it's more keeping track of the books that I haven't read. It's all about deciding which book to read at a given time, what I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I start a book and decide it's not what I'm in the mood for at that particular time, but I'll probably like it at another time. Any time you have more than a screen or two worth of books, then a little organization comes in handy.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote