Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Getting ebooks from calibre library on PC to Kindle Voyage?

Hi all,

(Introductory preamble: skip to the end for the yes/no question.)

My old DX has a busted screen and I need a new ereader. I prefer pressing a button to turn the page and can't get on with swiping. Retrograde of me perhaps, but that's the way I am. The only ereader with that option nowadays seems to be the Kindle Voyage. What worries me is that wi-fi seems to be the only connection option for it. I have a collection of ebooks in various formats from various sources, all curated with calibre. I used to plug the cable in, convert format where necessary and hit "Send to device". With the help of these boards long ago, I even managed to set up a plugboard to ensure the author and title info came out in my preferred format.

I'm worried that it isn't going to be that easy with the Voyage, which says "Connectivity: Wi-Fi Only".

I gather you can email the books to your Kindle, but that there can be problems with formatting, such as covers being removed, and it doesn't support AZW format, which is odd, given that it's the Kindle's native format, but never mind.

The better option looks to be to use calibre server. It looks complicated, but I'm sure I can figure it out (possibly with the help of these boards once again).

Before I actually buy a Voyage though, can someone confirm/reassure me that it is indeed possible to send books from my calibre collection to the Voyage without using email?

Thanks,

Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan View Post
Hi all,

Before I actually buy a Voyage though, can someone confirm/reassure me that it is indeed possible to send books from my calibre collection to the Voyage without using email?
In that respect, the Voyage is just like the other Kindles. Plug it in, chose to connect to the computer, it shows up in Calibre ready to be loaded.

I have a Voyage, and plug mine into Calibre all the time, and I send a lot of fanfic to it, which Amazon never sees.

So you're good to go that way.

I'm not sure you'll be happy with the 'buttons' or not. I wouldn't actually call them that, since they're flush with the screen. You would not be able to feel them in the dark, you'd just have to guess the location. I thought they felt weird, and didn't like the amount of force it took to press them, so turned them off.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
So far Kindles all have USB, including the Voyage and the Oasis. The Oasis has proper page turn buttons. It is, of course, significantly more expensive.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusky Rose View Post
I'm not sure you'll be happy with the 'buttons' or not. I wouldn't actually call them that, since they're flush with the screen. You would not be able to feel them in the dark, you'd just have to guess the location. I thought they felt weird, and didn't like the amount of force it took to press them, so turned them off.
It's very much a matter of personal preference, of course. I far prefer the haptic sensors of the Voyage to "physical" buttons. The amount of pressure required to activate them is configurable; I have mine set to "Medium" pressure and "High" feedback.

Last edited by HarryT; 05-09-2017 at 08:47 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
Ptarmigan

Thanks, both. Glad to hear you can still connect via cable: makes life so much easier. Strange that Amazon are so specific about that "Connectivity: Wi-Fi Only" claim. I mean, why deny that a certain feature exists?

Thanks also for the tip about the Oasis having proper buttons, and about the feel of the page press non-buttons. I think I'll try to find a bricks and mortar store that has them both in and try them out before making the final decision. Yes, the Oasis is horribly pricey, but if that's the only one with buttons that I like, then that's the one it'll have to be.

Thanks again for your help,

Ptarmigan.
Advert
Old 05-09-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
Ptarmigan

And thank you too, Harry. I'll definitely try both before I decide.

Thanks,

Ptarmigan
Old 05-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
And thank you too, Harry. I'll definitely try both before I decide.
Good idea; they are something that people are divided on. I think they're great but, as you've heard, other people don't like them at all. The reason I prefer them to physical buttons is that they operate on the basis of pressure difference rather than "absolute" pressure, so you can hold the Voyage as lightly or as firmly as you wish, and you won't turn the page accidentally. No matter how lightly or firmly you're holding it, you press slightly (or not so slightly - depending what you've got the sensor pressure set to) harder, and the page turns. You don't need to move your fingers at all to turn the page.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #8
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
If you want all your other books (not bought from Amazon and from calibre) you can use the send to email feature so if you do use the app on other devices (phone, etc.) It will appear as though bought and will sync, etc. I usually just read on Kindle but I like the option for when I'm bored and only have my phone on me.
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
Strange that Amazon are so specific about that "Connectivity: Wi-Fi Only" claim. I mean, why deny that a certain feature exists?
- - - -
There is a difference between the way Amazon is using "Connectivity" and the way you are reading it.

To see the difference more easily, look at the description of your DX.
They did not include the USB features as a part of their usage of "Connectivity" even then.
So there has been no change in their usage.

They are not denying a feature exists, they are declaring that a feature does not exist.
I.E: No 3G, only WiFi connectivity.
For your DX, it was: No Wifi, only 3G connectivity.

Since Amazon never shipped a device with USB networking enabled, the features of USB where never included in their usage of the term "Connectivity".
(Yes, they could have, they just never did.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #10
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
The term "connectivity" refers to connection to the internet (i.e. to download books) not connecting to your computer to side-load books. All Kindles connect for sideloading, some have wifi only some have wifi and 3g.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
So far Kindles all have USB, including the Voyage and the Oasis. The Oasis has proper page turn buttons. It is, of course, significantly more expensive.
The Oasis was designed by a bunch of drunk monkeys. Forget that it exists. It's the worst designed Reader I've ever seen/read about.

The Voyage is a much better designed Reader and cheaper too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote