Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-18-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Another connecting question

I'm not sure this is the place for my question, but I've searched the net and this forum and can't figure out how to do this. I am on a limited data plan and want to move all my books over to my new phone. If I use my normal jetpack/mifi it counts as data on the plan. Also I can't get cc to connect to my pc at free wifi spots, but it connects fine through my jetpack. Any ideas of what I should do?

Windows 7 PC, Galaxy note 4 phone.
peaceridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Usb cable from pc to phone
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
Usb cable from pc to phone
That will get the ebooks on the phone, but won't make Calibre Companion recognize them - it only recognizes ones from a wifi connection. But thanks anyway.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What is a jetpack? Is it a mobile hotspot? And if so, two devices connected to it and talking to each other count against your data plan? That doesn't seem right, given that neither of the devices are actually talking to the telco's system.

If you do not have access to wifi at home then I would consider a wifi dongle like this one: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Multi-Mod.../dp/B00CWIRMRC. I have one and use it at hotels, airports, etc to connect my "stuff" together.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i m pretty sure there IS a way to get it to pick them up. search the forum.

even if not, if they are in correct place already, then CC is not likely to use your wifi data limits to replace them, it shoudl just do the metadata & update it's records- much less lata than moving all the books.

I think you just connect with CC as wireless device though & that forces a re-scan of local files
" can't connect at free wifi spots" will be to do with public vs private networks. and settings in your PC networks & in your PCs firewall
calibre ->preferences -> sharing over the net says" connect from anywhere in the world..."
Advert
Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
" can't connect at free wifi spots" will be to do with public vs private networks. and settings in your PC networks & in your PCs firewall
calibre ->preferences -> sharing over the net says" connect from anywhere in the world..."
It is more complicated than that. For very good security reasons most public WiFI systems run with "Wireless Isolation" which ensures that two devices on the network cannot ever talk to each other. They can only talk to the web.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
cybmole
Wizard

chaley> "It is more complicated than that. For very good security reasons most public WiFI systems run with "Wireless Isolation" which ensures that two devices on the network cannot ever talk to each other. They can only talk to the web." I thought that was all the OP needed/wanted: smart phone <-> internet(public wifi) <-> his password protected calibre server at home

peaceridge>
I am confused. you have a pc which can link to internet, at home. so you must have a router ?
So unless that router is wired only ( do they still sell those), it should be broadcasting an SSID and should let your phone . connect to it via wifi. Your phone has a data plan so it's an internet enabled device, so it can use wifi ?

Then you have a LAN on which to move endless amounts of data for free. All smart phones default to wifi in preference to mobile data if that is available. You give CC the local IP address of your PC, the one that the router gives it, which you can easily find, if CC does not auto detect it e. mine is 192.168.0.33 )
What am I missing ?

Last edited by cybmole; 06-18-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #8
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
What is a jetpack? Is it a mobile hotspot? And if so, two devices connected to it and talking to each other count against your data plan? That doesn't seem right, given that neither of the devices are actually talking to the telco's system.
Yes, a jetpack is a mobile hotspot. CC connects to Calibre on my pc just fine through the hotspot. I'm traveling in an RV and want to move all my ebooks to my new phone. I do not have a LAN set up (can't seem to figure out what the problem is). Honestly, I'm not sure if it counts against the data plan, I just figured it did. Kind of afraid to test it out. Um, don't know what a telco system is. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
peaceridge
Guru

See my answer to chaley for part.

No router - I just connect to the internet through the hotspot. Can't get my Lenovo to set up a LAN, so I need to send my books via the wifi hotspot. My problem is that my data plan is very small - only 1 GB and I have close to 20 GB of ebooks I want to put onto the phone - so, you see going over my phone limit, or my hotspot limit, is a real possibility. Perhaps I don't really understand how these connections work.

Quote:
chaley> "It is more complicated than that. For very good security reasons most public WiFI systems run with "Wireless Isolation" which ensures that two devices on the network cannot ever talk to each other. They can only talk to the web." I thought that was all the OP needed/wanted: smart phone <-> internet(public wifi) <-> his password protected calibre server at home

peaceridge>
I am confused. you have a pc which can link to internet, at home. so you must have a router ?
So unless that router is wired only ( do they still sell those), it should be broadcasting an SSID and should let your phone . connect to it via wifi. Your phone has a data plan so it's an internet enabled device, so it can use wifi ?

Then you have a LAN on which to move endless amounts of data for free. All smart phones default to wifi in preference to mobile data if that is available. You give CC the local IP address of your PC, the one that the router gives it, which you can easily find, if CC does not auto detect it e. mine is 192.168.0.33 )
What am I missing ?
Old 06-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
telco -- telecommunications company.

Have you tried creating an ad-hoc network on your PC, and connecting CC to that?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
telco -- telecommunications company.

Have you tried creating an ad-hoc network on your PC, and connecting CC to that?
No, I haven't tried an ad-hoc network - off to look and see if it will work. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:07 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Yes, a jetpack is a mobile hotspot. CC connects to Calibre on my pc just fine through the hotspot. I'm traveling in an RV and want to move all my ebooks to my new phone. I do not have a LAN set up (can't seem to figure out what the problem is). Honestly, I'm not sure if it counts against the data plan, I just figured it did. Kind of afraid to test it out. Um, don't know what a telco system is. Thanks.
Does the jetpack have a SIM or some other "thing" that lets it use your mobile plan? If so, what happens if you take that out? Said another way, what happens if the jetpack cannot connect to the mobile network?

If this manual (Verizon Ellipsis Jetpack) describes what you have then you can see if traffic between your device and your computer counts. Page 11 of the manual says how to see how much of your data plan has been used.

Page 27 describes how to "lock" the SIM so that the jetpack will not connect to the internet. If your device can talk to calibre while the SIM is locked then you know that you aren't using any of your data plan.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
cybmole
Wizard

Ok so you are on the road, that was the missing info. You have 20gb space on phone and 20gb of books on the pc. The dongle that Chaley suggests should work.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Ok so you are on the road, that was the missing info.
Well, FWIW everyone else here took the reasonable assumption that the OP was traveling, hence the insistence on and mention of using a jetpack. And connecting at free WiFi hotspots does clearly* indicate not being at home.

In other words, what missing info? You jumped to conclusions (plural).

* -- not necessarily, because it can ALSO indicate someone doesn't have a home internet plan. Nevertheless, steady dependence on free WiFi hotspots indicates a lack of a readily-accessible traditional home WiFi connection.

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-18-2015 at 04:16 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #15
peaceridge
Guru

Wow - without the sim card in it WORKS!! Thank you so much. I don't have a Sim menu nor advanced setting, so I'll go looking on Verizon's site to find my particular jetpack. However, I think from what you said, it doesn't matter as I won't be using any of my data plan. Thank you, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Does the jetpack have a SIM or some other "thing" that lets it use your mobile plan? If so, what happens if you take that out? Said another way, what happens if the jetpack cannot connect to the mobile network?

Page 27 describes how to "lock" the SIM so that the jetpack will not connect to the internet. If your device can talk to calibre while the SIM is locked then you know that you aren't using any of your data plan.