Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #1
Phyrefly
Phyrefly began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story
Question Startup crash

I have just installed Calibre, and attempted to import 1000s of books. It took a while (understandably) but when it had finished, there were only 7 books in calibre. It seems that while it ran through many subfolders, it only imported the ones in the root. I have tried drag&drop importing some of these folders one at a time, and they seem to work, to a point. The metadata is messed up, but I can fix that... let's just get the books in.

So I've done this with a few folders, then try to open a book, and calibre crashed (just closed, with a Win7 "the application has stopped working" message). Now when I run it, I get the same thing again - immediately, before the GUI even presents itself (I do get the splash screen).

So query 1 is - what's gone wrong, and how can I fix it without access to the GUI?

and query 2 is - if I can get it working again - how do I import my books without having to drag&drop from each folder? Is there a way to import from a whole dir structure?

Thanks,
Rich
Phyrefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ing-on-windows

2) click the arrow next to the add books button
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Phyrefly
Phyrefly began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Cover Story
Thanks for the swift reply...
1) - none of those things helped, but debug-mode showed something, details below.
2) - thanks, that's better!

So, my computer has something slowly killing it, at the moment it's super-sensitive to memory leaks. Anything that is leaking kills it eventually. That's what happened here, a reboot means I can run calibre again. But it didn't show the error message that I get from any other app before it died, it just dissapeared on me. (Debug-mode showed the error). This may not be the best result from an error-handling point of view... The memory leak probably isn't in Calibre by the way (or at least, isn't necessarily in it) - killing Calibre was just a symptom.
Phyrefly is offline   Reply With Quote