Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #1
marcio_oliveira
marcio_oliveira began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question pdf to epub regex unicode character match not working

Hello, I'm trying to convert a pdf book to epub that has a header and a footer I'd like to remove. The header has the chapter name, the symbol • and the page number, for example “Chapter 3. Interfacing with Humans • 41” and the footer is "report erratum • discuss".

I've have tried a few ways to match this header and footer:
/.+ • [0-9]+$/g
report erratum • discuss

/.+ \u2022 [0-9]+$/g
report erratum \u2022 discuss

/.+ \W [0-9]+$/g
report erratum \W discuss

but non of these work, I would be glad if someone could help, thanks!

I'm using sr1-search and sr2-search using the ebook-convert cli.
marcio_oliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:30 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
are your slashes are wrong for Calibre PCRE
Code:
\.+
\g
and have you tried using \s (for any kind of space)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
I would try something more simple:

chapter.*?\d+
and
report.*?•.*?discuss

But I have found that headers and footers in OCR'd pdfs often come across with strange spacing, text scannos, and all sorts of cruft. Often you get some, but not others. So I do this in the Editor, after conversion, where I have a chance to find the exceptions. Doing it that way also gives you a chance to re-connect text that was separated by the header or footer at the page break.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caliber, ebook-convert, pdf-to-epub, regex, unicode