Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Windows 10

I just installed (upgraded) to Windows 10 on my desktop. So far everything seems to work just fine. Cortana is a nice addition and the new menu button works well with both applications and apps listed and a icon section for the apps. Mostly the desktop looks the same. Upgrade was simple and automatic via a download.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm in no hurry to get it. One day when I have nothing better to do, I'll upgrade.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm currently running the last pre-RTM build. Will probably do the upgrade next week. No hurry. And I've got one laptop on 8.1 that I'll be upgrading to test some of our applications on that. But what I really want is the next version of Server. But for that, we have to wait until next year.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I just installed (upgraded) to Windows 10 on my desktop. So far everything seems to work just fine. Cortana is a nice addition and the new menu button works well with both applications and apps listed and a icon section for the apps. Mostly the desktop looks the same. Upgrade was simple and automatic via a download.

Dale
Cortana is not available to me. No idea how to get it.
And I don't think I'll get Windows 10 on my tablet, I'm not brave enough (and there simply is no new replacement device if I do brick it).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Cortana is not available to me. No idea how to get it.
And I don't think I'll get Windows 10 on my tablet, I'm not brave enough (and there simply is no new replacement device if I do brick it).
On a Windows 10 system right click on the taskbar. There is a new Cortana entry on the taskbar menu that turns her on or off. A portion of the taskbar is devoted to Cortana input. If you don't have a microphone you will need to type in the request.

Dale
Advert
Old 07-31-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Have done a laptop, netbook and convertible tablet - no problems except the time it takes. Have three more to go - wish they would have offered dvd installs :-) not that dvds would have been economical.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Have done a laptop, netbook and convertible tablet - no problems except the time it takes. Have three more to go - wish they would have offered dvd installs :-) not that dvds would have been economical.
You can use the windows media creation tool to download and create a dvd or usb to install from DVD or USB. Lots of discussion in this longer thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...254824&page=77
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I upgraded my desktop and my Surface Pro tablet. Both went without a hitch.

Cortana doesn't seem to be available in Canada though.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:39 AM   #9
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Guess it doesn't speak Canadian....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You can use the windows media creation tool to download and create a dvd or usb to install from DVD or USB. Lots of discussion in this longer thread:

Thanks, will check it out!
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For those looking for a good open ebook reader, check out FICTION BOOK READER in the Windows store. It's a version of, naturally, fbReader for win8 and above that works very nicely in Win10. I just pointed it at the Calibre library and let it run.
Nice library interface.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Guess it doesn't speak Canadian....
Perhaps so, eh! I think Canada might require that a French version be offered as well as English, er Canadian.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
I upgraded my desktop and my Surface Pro tablet. Both went without a hitch.

Cortana doesn't seem to be available in Canada though.
It's not available in Dutch either (US version of Windows with Dutch localization and English language).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #14
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I upgraded and the process went seamlessly.

However, my touchpad on my laptop now needs 2 [count'em, 2!!] fingers to scroll. And my touchpad has a place on the side where I used to be able to scroll with single finger efficiency.

It is a pain in the finger. I wouldn't have thought so, but it really is. Enough so that I'm thinking of getting a wireless mouse or trackball or something...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:

I'm doing my new Surface 3 tonight. I must be mad starting it at 10 past Midnight but I know I won't sleep thinking about this so while its peaceful and quiet I'm going to give it a go. It's a brand new device with nothing on it yet, if it doesn't go smoothly at this point when would it
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote