Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #466
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Thankyou for getting back to me, and I appreciate your help. I installed the python bin first like the instructions said. After the preventable problems I had with USBNetwork I made sure to read through the first post three times before I proceeded, then followed the instructions concerning the installation and use of the hack to the letter, and am still getting this result.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #467
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Maybe try pressing "refresh" and "fully populate this menu". I keep forgetting which of those "refresh and rebuild" makes the new font names appear in "custom" section after doing the "update fontconfig cache", since I rarely test new custom fonts nowadays.

Try different sequence of those 3 buttons ("populate this menu", "refresh" and "fully populate this menu") and after each check if you custom fonts names appear in "custom" section of "condensed".
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:37 PM   #468
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thankyou for your response. I've now tried all three, and none seem to make my custom fonts appear in the "custom section of "condensed". I remembered to "update fontconfig cache" first as well. It's just really confusing.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #469
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Thankyou for your response. I've now tried all three, and none seem to make my custom fonts appear in the "custom section of "condensed". I remembered to "update fontconfig cache" first as well. It's just really confusing.
let's try the direct approach.

0/ rename the attached file to 99-override-condensed.conf (the forum won't let me attach an unknown file extension).

1/ edit the file with a text editor. Replace yourfontname with the name of your font.

2/ copy the file into linkfonts/etc/conf.d/ Delete any other existing file in that folder

3/ open kual and do an update fontconfg cache.

Note: You need to know the exact name of your font. In Windows, you can see the font name by right clicking and select Preview.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 99-override-condensed.conf.txt (302 Bytes, 515 views)

Last edited by Barty; 01-29-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:07 AM   #470
Waylander
Fanatic

Hi Barty, thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated. I followed your instructions step by step and still nothing. Every time I use the font hack in KUAL and then try to see whether it's worked in the Aa menu the screen flashes before the menu bar appears at the top of the screen. It's like there's a glitch or something, and I don't know whether this has anything to do with it. I may just have to uninstall the font hack and reinstall it given how it's looking at the moment.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #471
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your font has ttf extension, right? Maybe try different fonts.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #472
byzkarl
byzkarl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I have noticed after 5.8.8 that this isn't working as well as it used to. I replaced Helvetica as the sans font with Charis modified larger, and some of my books change, but others don't. Personal docs change, some older books do (Lord of the Rings), but Ender's Game, and Neal Stephenson's System of the World don't, for example.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

It's on a KV.
byzkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #473
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast
LastSilmaril began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 3G, KV 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
In that case, the answer is:
This font add-in does not change the names in the Aa menu, only the fonts that the existing menu names select.
I finally got around to trying this tonight (after having updated to 5.8.9 - current jb survived, SS hack confirmed working) on my KV. I followed all the directions here but don't understand which font I'm supposed to select from the Aa menu. I overrode serif, and this appears to have changed some things in the UI - e.g. on the homepage, the list of recommended books on the right appears in the font I just installed. But I don't know how to get this to show up in a book. All of the listed fonts - Amazon Ember, Amazon Ember Bold, Baskerville, Bookerly, Caecilia, Publisher Font, Caecilia Condensed, Futura, Helvetica, OpenDyslexic, and Palatino - all work the way they did before I installed the font using this hack (Garamond Bold). Did something change in 5.8.9, or am I missing something?

Last edited by LastSilmaril; 05-06-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo; added device
LastSilmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #474
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzkarl View Post
I have noticed after 5.8.8 that this isn't working as well as it used to. I replaced Helvetica as the sans font with Charis modified larger, and some of my books change, but others don't. Personal docs change, some older books do (Lord of the Rings), but Ender's Game, and Neal Stephenson's System of the World don't, for example.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

It's on a KV.
Do those books have embedded font? Make sure you select Helvetica instead of publisher's font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSilmaril View Post
I finally got around to trying this tonight (after having updated to 5.8.9 - current jb survived, SS hack confirmed working) on my KV. I followed all the directions here but don't understand which font I'm supposed to select from the Aa menu. I overrode serif, and this appears to have changed some things in the UI - e.g. on the homepage, the list of recommended books on the right appears in the font I just installed. But I don't know how to get this to show up in a book. All of the listed fonts - Amazon Ember, Amazon Ember Bold, Baskerville, Bookerly, Caecilia, Publisher Font, Caecilia Condensed, Futura, Helvetica, OpenDyslexic, and Palatino - all work the way they did before I installed the font using this hack (Garamond Bold). Did something change in 5.8.9, or am I missing something?
Serif is either Caecilia regular or bookerly. You need to select the font. The font menu will not show your font's name.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #475
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast

Inconsistent behavior of this hack on FW 5.8.8+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Serif is either Caecilia regular or bookerly. You need to select the font. The font menu will not show your font's name.
I understood that the font's name wouldn't be there. If the answer is that serif is supposed to map to Caecilia or Bookerly - thanks for pointing this out; actually I'm realizing that the 'Bookerly' selection text in the Font menu was being rendered in Garamond, and this should have tipped me off. I don't think this is explicitly explained anywhere though - it would be nice if the docs or OP in this thread were updated to reflect this.

Anyway, turns out this works!...sometimes. When I'd posted before, I'd only tried one book, which I had taken out from the library. Now, checking again, I've had it working with others, but the behavior is not consistent:
  • The library book had its own embedded font, and rendered in Bookerly, not Garamond.
    • Similarly, another book I bought recently, which also had an embedded font, also rendered in Bookerly.
    • Also, yet another book I had bought from Amazon recently, but which did *not* have an embedded font, also rendered in Bookerly.
  • Another book, which was converted to MOBI and emailed to Amazon, successfully rendered in Garamond!
    • In fact, all the converted-to-MOBI-and-emailed books worked fine, save one - and that one exhibits other odd behavior: the font menu that comes up allows choosing between different Asian fonts, rather than the traditional font options, so it appears to have been corrupted somehow.
  • Lastly, another retail book, which I bought a couple of months ago, and which had an embedded font, successfully got rendered in Garamond.

I can't really tell what the factor is here. Perhaps the library book and the books I bought recently are coming in in KFX form? I thought all books these days other than personal docs have been autoKFX'd by Amazon and are delivered in that form automatically to devices that support it.

Perhaps the way KFX is rendered in or delivered to a device running 5.8.8+ has changed?

It looks like byzkarl is also experiencing this behavior - is anybody else?

Does anybody have any idea how to properly confirm suspicions as to what's causing this? My guess is it would involve downloading a given book under different firmwares, observing behavior, and DeDRMing and comparing the results, or something like that...?

Last edited by LastSilmaril; 05-09-2017 at 12:20 AM. Reason: formatted and edited to improve clarity.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #476
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Please find and use a keyboard with an end-of-line ("Enter" or "Return") key.
These mind dump posts are nearly impossible to read and follow.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:40 PM   #477
Barty
doofus

@lastsilmaril: hmm I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try to convert the book you bought to mobi? You'll need to de-drm it first.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:54 PM   #478
LastSilmaril
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please find and use a keyboard with an end-of-line ("Enter" or "Return") key.
These mind dump posts are nearly impossible to read and follow.
I've spruced it up a bit - should be easier to parse now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
@lastsilmaril: hmm I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try to convert the book you bought to mobi? You'll need to de-drm it first.
I mean, that's obviously a good workaround in the meantime, but it's not ideal. Wouldn't it be nice if we tried to figure out what's going on? I'm game to help with that.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:55 PM   #479
Barty
doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSilmaril View Post
I mean, that's obviously a good workaround in the meantime, but it's not ideal. Wouldn't it be nice if we tried to figure out what's going on? I'm game to help with that.
I don't know if there's anyone around who's willing/able to modify the font hack, so workaround is all we may have at this point.

In any event, first, you want to confirm that the format is the problem and not something else.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:06 AM   #480
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@LastSilmaril: Your problems might be some aspect of known and longstanding bugs with fonts cascade / fallbacks configuration and some CSS combinations.
Although it was observed with KF8 books I wouldn't be suprised if same thing applies for KFX books.

Read my comment here.

It's probably some of those "invalid" CSS scenarios that's at the root of the problem. You could try testing those problematic books like this:

manually download the books to your PC from Manage Your Content and Devices (that way you will get azw3 file [= KF8 format] even for the books that Kindle itself downloads as KFX), transfer them to you Kindle via USB cable.

Check if choosing any other build-in fonts work for a particular book or is the book stuck on same font (probably Bookerly)... check what happens when you enable "Publisher font".

Then, for the "buggy" book you should deDRM it and open it in Calibre Editor and check the CSS stylesheet for those things I've mentioned in that other topic (mainly if there is declaration of font family for body tag selector, and if there are references for font families that are not embedded).

It really can't be said that it's the fault of font hack that Kindle and Amazon are doing bunch of "smart" heuristics in attempt to make "converted from a Word document" books display text using Bookerly at all cost... The devices should just correctly interpret CSS code.. since there is no forcing ebook publishers to always use CSS that Amazon deems "the only correct way".
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch