Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2023, 09:51 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sure. For themselves. Just not universally.

And I DO define order. The Order of books in a series is the order the books were originally released in. People can state their preferred deviations from that, but the order itself is unchangeable. That bell has been rung.
Thank you for your definition. But IMO, that is your definition of a "series order".

I can see also the following definition of "series order": The order of books in a series is the timeline order (reading forward in time).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:58 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Thank you for your definition. But IMO, that is your definition of a "series order".
Nope. Its is the order the books were presented to the reading world. I had nothing to do with it. It's not "my order", it is the universe's. Feel free to see it differently, but the universe won't care.

When someone reads each book in a series as each is released. They can accurately, definitively, and objectively be said to have read the series in order.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-20-2023 at 10:05 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2023, 10:29 AM   #18
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope. Its is the order the books were presented to the reading world. I had nothing to do with it. It's not "my order", it is the universe's. Feel free to see it differently, but the universe won't care.
Nope. It is your order in your universe. The rest of the universe does care, as shown by the constant debate on series order.

Quote:
When someone reads each book in a series as each is released. They can accurately, definitively, and objectively be said to have read the series in order.
If they want to be accurate, they would need to be a little more specific.

Last edited by issybird; 01-20-2023 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Fix tag.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:50 AM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Nope. It is your order in your universe. The rest of the universe does care, as shown by the constant debate on series order.
A <> B

But whatever. I'm done. I concede. If you want to pretend you know better. You can have it.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:08 AM   #20
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A <> B

But whatever. I'm done. I concede. If you want to pretend you know better. You can have it.
B<>C

And I'll keep these posts in mind for future reference when you post, Humpty Dumpty.
Advert
Old 01-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #21
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm nothing if not consistent. Have fun monitoring me. You must be so bored.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:11 AM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm nothing if not consistent. Have fun monitoring me. You must be so bored.
I thought you said you were done.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:25 AM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Sure. Done with the previous topic. But you've clearly moved on to another (me and my posting habits). Is it really that hard for you to keep up?

Since what you're clearly looking for is the last word between you and I in this thread, you may have it if you want. All you had to do was ask.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-20-2023 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:02 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Now, it would have been preferable to have an Excel file holding the titles, publication date, author, availability of the ebook formats, ISBN, and other useful info. In the past, this was useful for movies (vhs, laserdisc, dvd, and blu-ray). I would annotate how the film ended, and add keywords, with terms like film-noir. Has any enterprising reader done this for books?
No need for an Excel file. You can do all that in Calibre and that's probably what most of us here do.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:48 PM   #25
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Or you could just add a number to the title. At leat for books you already own. I did that before I had my Kobo (that as @Sirtel says shows series info).
(I'm like you. I want to read in order! And I've though about creating a file to keep in my reader. I would probably do it in Excel and export it to PDF. So far a thought is as far as it has come.)
This is pretty much what I do in Calibre. I rename all books in the series say for example
The Hidden Legacy by Ilona Andrews would be Hidden Legacy 001 - Burn For Me. Hidden Legacy 002 - White Hot. right on up to book #7 That way I can read them in order. Makes it real easy when I want to read a particularly large series.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:57 PM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
This is pretty much what I do in Calibre. I rename all books in the series say for example
The Hidden Legacy by Ilona Andrews would be Hidden Legacy 001 - Burn For Me. Hidden Legacy 002 - White Hot. right on up to book #7 That way I can read them in order. Makes it real easy when I want to read a particularly large series.
I used to use metadata plugboards in Calibre to do that, when I read on a Kindle. That way the titles didn't get messed up in my library, only on the Kindle.

Since I switched solely to Kobo readers, I no longer need to do that, as Kobos show series info.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:11 AM   #27
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:

I have come across a few series that had individual titles that were, according to the publisher, the author, and going by copyright date, released out of order.
(IIRC, one title got caught up in a court case, and another title got caught up in a dispute with either the publisher of the translation, or the translator.)

From my perspective, they were instantly forgettable novels.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:32 AM   #28
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I've been doing the same thing for years...

[Sandman Slim 01] ~ Sandman Slim
[Sandman Slim 02] ~ Kill the Dead
[Sandman Slim 03] ~ Aloha from Hell

Because, when I want to read a book in a series, the actual title isn't nearly as important as it's position in the series. I hate reading out of order, and it's just easier to put the series directly into the title.

And it doesn't make a title search any harder. The titles are just longer.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote