Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
Borrowing eBooks from Library - Bluefire, OverDrive, iTunes

The New York Public Library uses Overdrive and Adobe's DRM for borrowing books.

I borrowed a book using a MacBook, double clicked the acsm and got the book into Digital Editions (I use a Sony eReader.)

I copied the acsm to the iPad using DropBox and opened the acsm using Bluefire. Worked.

However, opening the acsm using OverDrive didn't - it said the acsm file was expired.

iTunes sync via file data didn't work as well.

Why does Bluefire only work? I am able to borrow books using OverDrive directly on the iPad.

Last edited by menevets; 02-03-2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Subj
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Bluefire works because they have put in the effort to support all of the possible workflows. Overdrive doesn't work because they only support the direct download workflow. On Android the situation is similar. Even on iOS, however, the Overdrive mobile web page for iOS is specifically coded to launch only the Overdrive app (if it is installed) when downloading an acsm. There are a couple of workarounds for that but they should not be necessary.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert