Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-27-2022, 11:56 PM   #1
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Question Any Kindle Scribe hardware pictures/teardown available?

Hi,
I have a kindle scribe arriving in a few days, was wondering what the possibilities of jailbreak are, want to run VNC on it so I can share my sketches with a videocall. Anyone got one of these and have hardware images? I can't tell from the online images how easy/difficult it is going to be to open. Best I can tell is that it's hopelessly glued down but I am not entirely sure because it's not IP rated, so maybe there's some groove I can slide into that I'm missing?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 12:08 PM   #2
Jeffrey.
Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jeffrey. has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Your title really should have included a question mark. I'm wondering too.
Jeffrey. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 12:30 AM   #3
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey. View Post
Your title really should have included a question mark. I'm wondering too.
Yeah my bad
Old 01-01-2023, 11:01 AM   #4
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Yeah my bad
I totally thought this was an actual teardown...

Excited to see what's possible with the Scribe.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 02:59 AM   #5
aditya3098
Guru

Well I got the thing. Any magical hopes of actual screws is now gone, not even under the little rubber feet on the back. There's a good gap (almost 0.1-0.2mm) between the ends of the screen and the back case which wraps around the side. I *assume* it'll just plop out under heat? Unfortunately I can't really afford to break it, so I'm gonna have to wait until someone confirms that the screen won't shatter if you try (probably with one of those stands that people use to open ipads and stuff). Sucks cause the software is extremely limiting but the hardware is amazing, I'd love to be able to do a live screenshare with vnc or something.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:15 AM   #6
aditya3098
Guru

https://imgur.com/a/iFsnZe1
Old 01-04-2023, 08:58 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can easily share sketches with reMarkable or Kobo (Sage or Elipsa), without any jailbreak, though otherwise the reMarkable is rubbish compared to every other eink with a digitiser stylus I've looked at.

The Scribe is a more tightly controlled walled garden than an iPad. Your best bet is a phone/tablet pointed at the Scribe, or laptop with hd webcam.

I've a reMarkable, Sage, Elipsa and Lenovo X201 all with digitisers/stylus. The only good thing about the Kindle Scribe HW is 300 dpi vs 227 dpi for the reMarkable and Elipsa.
I have and have had various Kindles, so I held off getting a Scribe till I could read about the SW. In most respects the SW sounds better than reMarkable (it's only got USB networking to copy files) and worse than Sage or Elipsa (they allow use without Internet and export of PDF simply by copy. Drawings by PDF, docx (optional text conversion, shapes, maths), HTML, png and even conversion to text, all via USB or Dropbox on WiFi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:34 PM   #8
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
You'll be able to find internal photos sometime in March 2023 here: https://fccid.io/2A4DH-3426

No chance of a serial jailbreak on a Scribe that hasn't already been jailbroken and modified, very very unlikely that a bootrom level exploit will be found, moderate to good chance that a software level jailbreak will be found within a year due to the new (and more lucrative) bug bounty program for devices that Amazon opened last September.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:01 PM   #9
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
You'll be able to find internal photos sometime in March 2023 here: https://fccid.io/2A4DH-3426

No chance of a serial jailbreak on a Scribe that hasn't already been jailbroken and modified, very very unlikely that a bootrom level exploit will be found, moderate to good chance that a software level jailbreak will be found within a year due to the new (and more lucrative) bug bounty program for devices that Amazon opened last September.
Oh, I just opened a thread asking about the likelihood of a Scribe jailbreak. I hope you are right, and that a software JB will be found. Although, as I am constantly turning the wifi on and off to send PDFs, I don't suppose I will be able to avoid automatic OTA updates. I'm not keeping the wifi off permanently, as I want to be able to use the functionality and write on PDFs.

ETA: can someone add a ?? to the thread title? It is too disappointing to open this thread and find no teardown.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:52 PM   #10
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I am constantly turning the wifi on and off to send PDFs, I don't suppose I will be able to avoid automatic OTA updates. I'm not keeping the wifi off permanently, as I want to be able to use the functionality and write on PDFs.
Maybe someone can create a utility to convert arbirary PDFs to something the Scribe can write on, but I have no idea whether there is any developer interest in that at all.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 02:49 AM   #11
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:

I was thinking maybe could find a testpad to put it into SDP mode? I doubt that will be patched? I had some wild dreams about probably finding the exact relative coordinates of this and just indicating the kindle on a mill and drilling a fine hole at the exact location on the back case, dropping a little ground lead into there and going from there.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:49 AM   #12
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
I was thinking maybe could find a testpad to put it into SDP mode? I doubt that will be patched? I had some wild dreams about probably finding the exact relative coordinates of this and just indicating the kindle on a mill and drilling a fine hole at the exact location on the back case, dropping a little ground lead into there and going from there.
No chance, Kindle Scribe is one of the newer devices based on a MediaTek SOC so it doesn't have SDP mode in the first place and Amazon have been locking down the bootrom/boot process on their devices for years now, regardless of the SOC vendor.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:04 AM   #13
aditya3098
Guru

Quote:
No chance, Kindle Scribe is one of the newer devices based on a MediaTek SOC so it doesn't have SDP mode in the first place and Amazon have been locking down the bootrom/boot process on their devices for years now, regardless of the SOC vendor.
Haven't really been following the news I guess, situation seems more grim than I expected. Slight buyers remorse.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:09 AM   #14
aditya3098
Guru

Regardless, I await the day I feel brave enough to teardown the thing.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:10 PM   #15
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

!!! Have a look at the 8:30 here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TXeZ5f...ature=youtu.be
No glue used, yay!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote