Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2023, 01:01 PM   #46
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That is how you force a page break. Anything else is unreliable.
Technically, what is the difference for publishing at Amazon, if it forces a page break both ways?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:44 PM   #47
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Only a new HTML file works for mobi, unless you put in ancient mobi specific code. Thus new HTML file works for Amazon making an old mobi, kf7and kfx in the same epub file uploaded to Amazon KDP as everywhere else and no page break HTML code at all. No HTML edit needed from a docx source in Calibre and only image CSS needs edited (for % and auto or vice versa on height & width on larger images).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:57 PM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Only a new HTML file works for mobi, unless you put in ancient mobi specific code. Thus new HTML file works for Amazon making an old mobi, kf7and kfx in the same epub file uploaded to Amazon KDP as everywhere else and no page break HTML code at all. No HTML edit needed from a docx source in Calibre and only image CSS needs edited (for % and auto or vice versa on height & width on larger images).
Thank you, that makes sense. I take it the new html file works for all epub renderers as well?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:02 PM   #49
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you, that makes sense. I take it the new html file works for all epub renderers as well?
If they are in page mode. calibre's viewer for example has a scroll mode.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:52 PM   #50
RonOnThePond
Enthusiast
RonOnThePond began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
As far as page breaks go, I'm learning "on the job" about this. Trying to understand why Calibre split the manuscript (docx) the way it did, and how exactly the splits are supposed to be used. I have noticed that end of each split file there is something like this:
<p class="block_14" id="calibre_pb_5">*</p>
</body></html>

I've been trying to figure out what the "calibre_pb_5" id is used for, and it's odd to me because it is referenced nowhere I can find. I assume the "pb" means page break, so now I'm guessing (I do a lot of guessing if I can't find an answer) that these references trigger page breaks (seems so), but what else they do I would love to know.

So I may join some of the files where Calibre thought a page break should to, but I don't want one. And then split files where I do want a page break. But I'm doing without really understanding this bit of code at the end of each split.

Oh well. Not your job to give me a Calibre course! But I am doing better now that I jettisoned the Kindle Previewer, which seems to be worse than worthless. Instead, I periodically send my epub to my Kindle library. Then I can view it on my Pixel phone, my Kindle Signature Edition, and my Samsung tablet. As soon as it looks good on all three, I'm done. I have a proof of the paperback, and it looks fine and is ready to publish, but I'm still hoping to have a Kindle version simultaneously. And my most recently revised self-imposed deadline is Tuesday, so it'll be within this month. Somewhat arbitrary.
RonOnThePond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:28 AM   #51
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonOnThePond View Post
As far as page breaks go, I'm learning "on the job" about this. Trying to understand why Calibre split the manuscript (docx) the way it did, and how exactly the splits are supposed to be used. I have noticed that end of each split file there is something like this:
<p class="block_14" id="calibre_pb_5">*</p>
</body></html>
By default a docx import (and most others) converted to epub will split at chapters.
I've never seen that code. An id may be generated for each anchor/bookmark in the source docx even if nothing else in the docx is an internal html link pointing to it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote