Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #1
Bluesnowan
Bluesnowan began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone/tablet win 10 pc
Question Trouble both exporting and saving in different location

This is just on one of the books I had been also moved it recently from my dropbox folder on my d drive to a separate folder on my d drive.
Should I just download my calibre folder from what I had saved on dropbox and just create library with copy structure from current library?
I have been having problems accessing various books in calibre
And is the Genre tags part of the epub or something just in calibre?
Spoiler:
calibre, version 6.11.0
ERROR: Failed: Failed to export data. Click "Show details" for more information.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\exim.py", line 138, in run_action
File "calibre\utils\exim.py", line 194, in export
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 77, in call_func_with_lock
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 2745, in export_library
File "calibre\db\cache.py", line 1077, in copy_format_to
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1652, in copy_format_to
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument: 'D:\\Library\\Unknown\\016 Adventures of Superman Annual 00 (19)\\016 Adventures of Superman Annu - Unknown.cbz'
Bluesnowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:26 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
make sure Calibre Library is a local drive.
Make sure you only Add books from a local drive
Make sure you only export to a local drive.

I copy stuff to/from network drives or Internet storage always outside all applications via my File Manager.

Dropbox and networked drives in general can be less than perfectly compatible with applications unless they are designed to work over a network/Internet. Most are not.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
Bluesnowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
make sure Calibre Library is a local drive.
Make sure you only Add books from a local drive
Make sure you only export to a local drive.

I copy stuff to/from network drives or Internet storage always outside all applications via my File Manager.

Dropbox and networked drives in general can be less than perfectly compatible with applications unless they are designed to work over a network/Internet. Most are not.
My D drive wasn't a network drive rather the 2nd drive in my laptop and my dropbox folder was on that. Then just moved to main d drive rather than the dropbox folder.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnowan View Post
My D drive wasn't a network drive rather the 2nd drive in my laptop and my dropbox folder was on that. Then just moved to main d drive rather than the dropbox folder.
IMHO the USB drive was not the issue. It was the Dropbox overlap on the Library folder.
'Sync' is a low priority background task. Calibre can make changes that affect a number of files/folders rather rapidly. ANY DELAY can be horrific.
Any decent USB HD should be fine (just make sure its power and connections are solidly in place. Beware of Cat helpers )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:36 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Yes, USB HDD, even old 4800 rpm is fine.

Dropbox is worse kind of network than a drive shared over the LAN. I'd never have any cloud storage mapped as drive or folder. It's unreliable, you don't really know if it's finished copying (sync). My File Explorer can even treat Internet files as if disk files, but I never do that. I use Filezilla and then I know when they are really copied.
I do use rsync, but only for local backups to an external USB HDD.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-24-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:54 PM   #6
Bluesnowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, USB HDD, even old 4800 rpm is fine.
I do use rsync, but only for local backups to an external USB HDD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO the USB drive was not the issue. It was the Dropbox overlap on the Library folder.
'
The problem is now I am having a lot of issues either copying or exporting the library files from the base d drive to anywhere else. It might be a computer setting as when I try to do so with file explorer or file commander file manager it say couldn't access file. But what ever it is I cannot figure it out.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:04 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnowan View Post
The problem is now I am having a lot of issues either copying or exporting the library files from the base d drive to anywhere else. It might be a computer setting as when I try to do so with file explorer or file commander file manager it say couldn't access file. But what ever it is I cannot figure it out.
Your file system is messed up if Explore can't do it. The OS must have clear sailing for Calibre to work.

Check Ownership of all those files and folders. Your (non-MS) security suite may be getting in the way.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:20 PM   #8
Bluesnowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your file system is messed up if Explore can't do it. The OS must have clear sailing for Calibre to work.

Check Ownership of all those files and folders. Your (non-MS) security suite may be getting in the way.
Yeah was on with ms help and even they couldn't figure out what is going on with my pc everything is marked read only. after going properties and unselecting read only to goes back to read only right after leaving the properties. Even changing ownership doesn't seem to effect this.

Even uninstalled my AVG internet security and didn't seem to help. This is both on my C and D drives. I am running an HP pavilion with win 11
Old 01-25-2023, 09:54 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

AVG got caught with their fingers in the cookie jar (without permission).
I used to use AVG, but now I stick with Defender (but I am also careful what I click)