Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2023, 06:59 PM   #1
m9ke
m9ke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Request guidance - cant connect iPad/Safari to Content server on Linux box

I could sure use some help!

The issue is I can't get Safari on my iPad (very old) to connect with the Calibre content server.

Host: desktop running Ubuntu Mate 2204, and Calibre 6.11.0
Mobile client: iPad Air 2 running iOS 12.5.7

Process:
Start Content Server in Calibre. Tried with both the wireless option and USB. No joy.
Connect iPad to host via USB cable or wireless
Launch Safari on the iPad and type local host IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/mobile in address bar. Also tried prepending http and https. No joy there either.
Safari does not connect to my Calibre library. Instead it searches for and finds a bunch of content on the net about routers.

What I have tried so far:
Verified the IP address I am using is correct by connecting via the same IP to Calibre in both Chrome and Safari on my labptop.
Tried to connect to the iPad from my Linux box with the iPad mounted and not mounted. Neither way worked.
I am stuck using Safari because the current version of Chrome requires iOS version greater than what I can install on the iPad.
The iPad hardware won't support a newer version of iOS.
I've never liked Safari much and would use Chrome if I could.
Since this is nearly the first time I've used Safari, maybe I am missing something about it.
So I am stuck. Guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Mike
m9ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 07:45 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If safari doesnt accept IP addresses you will need to use a dynamic dns service to create a dns hostname for your server machine. I have no idea about such an old iOS version but up to date safari definitely does support IP address
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
m9ke

Thank you Kovid!

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2023, 02:39 PM   #4
m9ke

For anyone who cmes across this with similar problem:
Setup error on my part! I fixed it and was able to get an old version of Chrome that runs on my ancient iPad.
All fixed now that I no lonoger need Safari!