Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-28-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
phdpe
phdpe began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air2+
Need help to use Wordweb dictionary on KOReader

I am trying to set up Wordweb dictionary on KOReader on my Boox Note Air2+. It's my favorite dictionary software that I also use on my PC and phone. However, I could not make it work on KOReader...

First, the stardict version of Wordweb was downloaded from huzheng.org, or here.

Out of the box, there are two issues.

(1) KOReader strips all of the html tags. This is probably due to poor html format within the dictionary file. I did some research, and used a sample html fix from Github, @poire-z, or here

It's not perfect, as it cuts off half of the content, but at least it's better looking...

(2) the second issue is that, as you can see from the screenshot, even though I only selected one word, "ends", it popped out 17 words, only the 7th one was the correct one. For example, the second one was "cease". All the words are similar words as the word "end".

Does anyone know how to fix these issues? thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221228-100049.png
Views:	138
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	198638   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221228-095944.png
Views:	125
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	198639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221228-095929.png
Views:	120
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	198640  
phdpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
In the dictionary directory, look for the .ifo file. There is a line (last one I think) that says something like sequencetype=x. Change it to =html and see if it helps
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
You can also use an external dictionary such as GoldenDict. It works there without any problems.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #4
phdpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
In the dictionary directory, look for the .ifo file. There is a line (last one I think) that says something like sequencetype=x. Change it to =html and see if it helps
Thanks for your reply. It was "sequencetype=h". I changed to "x" or "html", none of it made any difference...
Old 12-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
phdpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
You can also use an external dictionary such as GoldenDict. It works there without any problems.
Can you explain it a little more? I dont see on KOReader wiki how to use GoldenDict. I assume you are saying using GoldenDict as a separate app?
Old 12-28-2022, 04:13 PM   #6
phdpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdpe View Post
Can you explain it a little more? I dont see on KOReader wiki how to use GoldenDict. I assume you are saying using GoldenDict as a separate app?

[Edit] I figure out how to make it work - it does work, but GoldenDict is not optimized for eink and the display is very difficult to read. But thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #7
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Simply install GoldenDict, copy the dictionary to the folder of the same name, and select it in KOReader's dictionary settings (by scrolling down the top bar).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Reader_2022-12-28_222335.png
Views:	126
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	198649  
Old 12-30-2022, 09:14 AM   #8
phdpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Simply install GoldenDict, copy the dictionary to the folder of the same name, and select it in KOReader's dictionary settings (by scrolling down the top bar).
Thank you. I still couldn't figure out how to optimize GoldenDict for eink screen. It's too white and gray that's hard to read. Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 12-30-2022, 08:44 PM   #9
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Thank you. I still couldn't figure out how to optimize GoldenDict for eink screen. It's too white and gray that's hard to read. Thanks for your suggestion!
I use GoldenDict without optimisation and it looks fine to my taste. But you can change the colour of the text so that the grey tones disappear by darkening the font colour. You can also disable the light colour filter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20221231_020914_4_11zon.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	893.0 KB
ID:	198693   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221231_021929_1_11zon.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	756.5 KB
ID:	198694   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221231_021900_2_11zon.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	802.1 KB
ID:	198695   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221231_021743_3_11zon.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	872.1 KB
ID:	198696  
Old 03-20-2023, 12:10 PM   #10
nezih
Enthusiast
nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nezih can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Aura SE
Quote:
I am trying to set up Wordweb dictionary on KOReader on my Boox Note Air2+. It's my favorite dictionary software that I also use on my PC and phone. However, I could not make it work on KOReader...

First, the stardict version of Wordweb was downloaded from huzheng.org, or here.

Out of the box, there are two issues.

(1) KOReader strips all of the html tags. This is probably due to poor html format within the dictionary file. I did some research, and used a sample html fix from Github, @poire-z, or here

It's not perfect, as it cuts off half of the content, but at least it's better looking...

(2) the second issue is that, as you can see from the screenshot, even though I only selected one word, "ends", it popped out 17 words, only the 7th one was the correct one. For example, the second one was "cease". All the words are similar words as the word "end".

Does anyone know how to fix these issues? thank you!
(1) See the attached file, change extension to .lua only.
(2) This is a known issue, I think: https://github.com/Dushistov/sdcv/issues/89
Attached Files
File Type: txt WordWeb1.1_2.lua.txt (632 Bytes, 43 views)
nezih is offline   Reply With Quote