Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 AM   #27901
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
This is good to know, because Sayers is on my list, but not as a re-read, I never got around to her back then.
You have a treat in store! Sayers is wonderful. Do read them in order, because although all the "Lord Peter Wimsey" books are of course standalone, there's a great deal of ongoing story development that takes place as the series progresses.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #27902
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have a treat in store! Sayers is wonderful. Do read them in order,
Oh, that's a given, I never do an initial read of any series in anything other than publication order. my Kobo collection is all primed and ready to go.
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #27903
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, original Papwerwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Oh, that's a given, I never do an initial read of any series in anything other than publication order. my Kobo collection is all primed and ready to go.
And don't be put off by the first one, Whose Body. It is undeniably her least successful effort. But they keep getting better. Still a favourite. And do enjoy the BBC/PBS TV versions. They're quite good, IMO.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #27904
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And don't be put off by the first one, Whose Body. It is undeniably her least successful effort.
That's part of the enjoyment of series reading - many writers of series don't hit the ground running on debut it seems, it's interesting to watch them grow as writers along the way.
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 AM   #27905
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next, a purchase from 2014 (!), Paganini's Ghost by Paul Adam.
This was very well written. The author created a wonderful sense of emotion. The descriptions of time and place both past and present were well done. Historically accurate. However, I thought there were no real villains in the story. Motives were weak. A few "aha" moments too many for my taste. Still, this was quite enjoyable. Solid C [3 stars].

Next TBD
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:23 AM   #27906
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I believe the next book I will read is The Andromeda Strain , Juror #3, The Regulators. I read Stephen Kings Desperation and found it one of the best horror books I read and The Regulators is supposed to be about the same monster in a parallel universe.
Close, but not quite. King took one concept and wrote it twice - once as a Stephen King book, and once as a Richard Bachman book. Several parallel characters appear in both, and the two were released on the same day (with complementary dust jackets!), but they don’t really work as “same monster in two universes.” It’s more complicated than that.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:05 AM   #27907
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Yotaphone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Sister Paradox by Jack Campbell. My most recent purchase!
Which was OK. But I question whether

Spoiler:
the protagonist's moral turn-around could really happen so quickly

And it was more of a YA than I'd realised. But it was OK.

Next up: Closer to Home by Mercedes Lackey. Another in her Valdemar fantasy series. And also the latest F&SF.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-11-2019 at 04:12 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #27908
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Just about to start The Age of Misadventure by Judy Leigh. I've read one other book by the author and it was good fun so I have good anticipation for this one.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #27909
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab A (2017)
Finished Renegades by somebody or other (David Liss). I am reading The Queen of Crows by Myke Cole, but just got to the juicy part of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Audio) and more interested in that at the moment.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #27910
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Twelve Clues of Christmas by Rhys Bowen and it was a very pleasant cozy mystery.Don’t normally go for cozies but this one was a very good read particularly at this time of year.

Warning: Do not read this book if you are hungry or trying to lose weight!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #27911
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
You have a treat in store! Sayers is wonderful. Do read them in order, because although all the "Lord Peter Wimsey" books are of course standalone, there's a great deal of ongoing story development that takes place as the series progresses.
I assume that the story development takes place in order of publication, not in another order as is the case with some series, for example?

I expect to be travelling for all of four or five weeks during March-April and these look like something to fill time in then - (not too long and easy reads???).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #27912
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
And don't be put off by the first one, Whose Body. It is undeniably her least successful effort. But they keep getting better.
Nah. The Five Red Herrings was by far the worst Wimsey novel and it's the sixth.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #27913
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I assume that the story development takes place in order of publication, not in another order as is the case with some series, for example?
Yes, it does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #27914
AnotherCat
Me
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Anything
Quote:
Yes, it does.
Thanks.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #27915
RobertLCollins
Zealot
RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertLCollins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Yesterday I finished The Forgotten Beasts of Eld. I quite enjoyed it. It was lyrical and well-written, and I was caught up with the heroine and the story. I'm happy I finally got to this book.
RobertLCollins is offline   Reply With Quote