Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #1036
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I'm not trying to remember something I read before, I'm looking for a historical answer. And neither Google nor Quora have been any help. Here goes:

What was the first (science?) fictional story to suppose that a criminal could be identified, captured, and/or convicted using DNA evidence?
While this doesn't answer your question, you might find some clues in this article from the Science History Institute: "Forensic Chemistry in Golden-Age Detective Fiction: Dorothy L. Sayers and the CSI Effect." As an attorney who deals in cases that have criminal components, I can assure you that the CSI effect is very real, and very damaging, in criminal court.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #1037
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
While this doesn't answer your question, you might find some clues in this article from the Science History Institute: "Forensic Chemistry in Golden-Age Detective Fiction: Dorothy L. Sayers and the CSI Effect." As an attorney who deals in cases that have criminal components, I can assure you that the CSI effect is very real, and very damaging, in criminal court.
This is hilarious. That's actually the article that inspired me to ask the question!
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #1038
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
Then thank you both -- that was an interesting article!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #1039
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
I'm not trying to remember something I read before, I'm looking for a historical answer. And neither Google nor Quora have been any help. Here goes:

What was the first (science?) fictional story to suppose that a criminal could be identified, captured, and/or convicted using DNA evidence?
Patricia Cornwell's Postmortem was published in 1990,and I believe is generally regarded as the first. At that time, DNA profiling was so new very few people were aware of it but Cornwell was working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia at the time of the investigation and trial of Timothy Wilson Spencer.

In 1988 Spencer was the first serial killer to be convicted on the basis of DNA evidence and he was executed in 1994. The very first DNA profiling in a criminal case was in Leicester, UK in 1986.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM   #1040
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Patricia Cornwell's Postmortem was published in 1990,and I believe is generally regarded as the first. At that time, DNA profiling was so new very few people were aware of it but Cornwell was working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia at the time of the investigation and trial of Timothy Wilson Spencer.

In 1988 Spencer was the first serial killer to be convicted on the basis of DNA evidence and he was executed in 1994. The very first DNA profiling in a criminal case was in Leicester, UK in 1986.
Interesting, so nothing before 1986? No examples like H.G. Wells predicting the atomic bomb, Arthur C. Clarke predicting geostationary satellites, or Philip K. Dick predicting virtual and augmented reality?
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #1041
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Interesting, so nothing before 1986? No examples like H.G. Wells predicting the atomic bomb, Arthur C. Clarke predicting geostationary satellites, or Philip K. Dick predicting virtual and augmented reality?
Holmes had some quasi-scientific guesses with references to what would be fingerprinting and blood-typing.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, mystery stories, teen sleuths