Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #46
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1984 View Post
I'm still having issues with the wifi. It might be because of the block wifi upgrade patch, but I haven't tested. I will in the next firmware release.

EDIT: That's not it. It connects to the wifi, I can see it on the router, but whenever I try to go online (google or wikipedia) it says:
Sychronization Failed
Ok, I have tried with multiple wifis, tried playing with IgnoreCaptivePortal and nothing works. I think I will have to do a full reset of my kobo, but not before I back it up. But I did play with the URLS in Kobo eReader.conf. Could it be the source of the problem? it never was before.

I can also connect to wifi with PBchess launcher, but not the standard kobo itself. So wifi basically works. Could somebody send me their .conf with personal informations truncated? Please?

Last edited by Nemo1984; 03-17-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For the heck of it just try renaming the conf file. I'm sure that Kobo will generate a new one with defaults and not require a resetup.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2020, 10:05 PM   #48
Nemo1984
Connoisseur
Nemo1984 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
For the heck of it just try renaming the conf file. I'm sure that Kobo will generate a new one with defaults and not require a resetup.
It's certainly worth a shot. Worst case, I have to take out the sd card and rename it as it was.
Nemo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:37 PM   #49
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From what I have been told, the read-only attribute was being respected well before that.
That's actually true... I'm surprised nobody (including myself) noticed it before this (I only noticed it when looking into the missing Dictionary table in this version).

Spoiler:
Code:
for ln in kp/*/libnickel.so.1.0.0; do strings "$ln" | grep read-only && echo "$ln"; done
marked as read-only.. skipping
kp/11655/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/11911/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/11976/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/11980/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/11982/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/12019/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/12111/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/12638/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/12777/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/12920/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/13162/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/13337/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/13651/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/13694/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/13737/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/14123/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/14601/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/14617/libnickel.so.1.0.0
kp/14622/libnickel.so.1.0.0
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:24 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
That's actually true... I'm surprised nobody (including myself) noticed it before this (I only noticed it when looking into the missing Dictionary table in this version).
I'm wounded that you doubt me

I would expect it was in the first release in 2018, so yes, I'm surprised no-one noticed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #51
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaledish View Post
page turns? are they faster? hate converting
Just cusrious, what makes you hate converting? The process (which can be automated with the Extended driver) or feature differences between ePub and kepub?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #52
yur
yur began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Just updated. Have kept myself on 4.15 for a good while because I didn’t like the new header/footer but jumped when I saw faster highlighting for epub. Really is much faster! Really worth the update despite the header and footer flaws. Also shows time remaining for epub now.
yur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:50 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yur View Post
Just updated. Have kept myself on 4.15 for a good while because I didn’t like the new header/footer but jumped when I saw faster highlighting for epub. Really is much faster! Really worth the update despite the header and footer flaws. Also shows time remaining for epub now.
I just keep the header on to show the pages left per chapter for ePub. I rather like it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #54
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
Hi all,

A new little bug related to the previous one that I had reported and that still concerns the PIN entry at startup, not at wake-up.
At startup, we arrive on the screen to enter the PIN code. If you wait too long, the entry becomes impossible (no reaction to the touch of the digits), you have to switch to sleep through the physical button and get out of sleep to be able to enter the PIN code.
I hope that my explanations are clear, as I don't speak English, I used the help of an automatic translator.

EDIT : As explained further, maybe it's not a bug.

Last edited by Mingyar; 03-22-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:38 PM   #55
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingyar View Post
Hi all,

A new little bug related to the previous one that I had reported and that still concerns the PIN entry at startup, not at wake-up.
At startup, we arrive on the screen to enter the PIN code. If you wait too long, the entry becomes impossible (no reaction to the touch of the digits), you have to switch to sleep through the physical button and get out of sleep to be able to enter the PIN code.
I hope that my explanations are clear, as I don't speak English, I used the help of an automatic translator.
How long a delay before you see this and on which Kobo device? I haven't been able to reproduce this issue on my devices. I've tried waiting 20 seconds and I can still enter my pin, and my devices go to sleep if I don't enter my pin within about 30 seconds after power it on from full off.
jiminrussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #56
Mingyar
Connoisseur
Mingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to beholdMingyar is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Mini/Aura H2O/Aura One LE / Tea Inkpad 3
You're partially right, jiminrussel.

I just tested again on my 3 models.
- On Aura One LE, no problem.
- On Aura H2O (1st model), enable to type pin after waiting more than 20 seconds, it goes to sleep automatically few second after.
- On Mini (I know not supported by this firmware), it happens after about 30 seconds. The reader doesn't go to sleep screen but I think it is in sleep mode, that's why I can't type the code.

So maybe it's not really a bug, I'll edit my previous message. Thanks again.

Last edited by Mingyar; 03-22-2020 at 06:35 PM.
Mingyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:59 PM   #57
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The common denominator might be an IR screen (I think? Not sure about the Mini...), which definitely has potentially wonky sleep behavior on the H2O.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:51 AM   #58
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Just updated last night (2020-03-22) on the Libra. I'd updated the H2O original a few days before.
Seems too easy to hit Search rather than Add Note when annotating. I guess practice will cure that. Fastest ever text selection (for highlight, note or search) on H2O and Libra.
Still a few GUI pages where the page turn buttons are ignored and you need to touch the screen.

I've never used the PIN as I regard all pocket sized gadgets too small and portable to be ever left unguarded anywhere.

Disappointed the WiFi icon to turn off WiFi is still not available "in a book" even though it can turn on WiFi for a search. It still syncs something on homepage, but not on other non-book pages even if WiFi auto sync is off. I suspect for the two bottom small tiles.

I've had the Collections page sort by Series for ages, so the new collections tab in books makes no difference to me. All my ebooks, metadata / collections/series is via Calibre and set there, no matter if a book bought from Amazon or Smashwords, or novels being proofed, ebooks made from web pages or PD books.

So the most noticeable thing and best improvement is the response time on highlighting.

I can't test on the N905C Touch as the screen has died. It has the characteristic black lines on half the screen and first symptom was only half the screen drawing. It was the worst quality screen I'd ever seen on anything ever for ghosting, so I won't be looking for a replacement screen.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #59
cine1952
cine1952 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Kobo Aura HD, Nexus 7 (2013), Kobo Aura One
Dissappearing categories (Bug of v4.20.14622 ?)

Hi

I have an Aura One. I have about 400 books on it. Books that I have read (about 375) are classified in 3 categories (called "collections" in French):
read -: for those I did not like (or did not finish)
read +: for those I liked very much
read : for other books

I also have a category for books I am currently reading.

Each time I connect the Kobo to calibre (4.13), Kobo Utilities v2.11.0 makes a backup of the Kobo database.

I recently (manually) updated the Aura One from v4.19.14123 TO v4.20.14622.
The result: I see only 2 of my previously defined categories and one of them shows no books (of course there were books in this category before the upgrade).

What I tried:
1) I reinstalled v4.19.14123. This did not solve the problem
2) I copy/pasted the 4 files contained in the database backup (created just before upgrading to v4.20.14622) to the .kobo folder of the Aura One. I rebooted the reader. This did not solve the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
cine1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:12 PM   #60
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cine1952 View Post
Hi

I have an Aura One. I have about 400 books on it. Books that I have read (about 375) are classified in 3 categories (called "collections" in French):
read -: for those I did not like (or did not finish)
read +: for those I liked very much
read : for other books

I also have a category for books I am currently reading.

Each time I connect the Kobo to calibre (4.13), Kobo Utilities v2.11.0 makes a backup of the Kobo database.

I recently (manually) updated the Aura One from v4.19.14123 TO v4.20.14622.
The result: I see only 2 of my previously defined categories and one of them shows no books (of course there were books in this category before the upgrade).

What I tried:
1) I reinstalled v4.19.14123. This did not solve the problem
2) I copy/pasted the 4 files contained in the database backup (created just before upgrading to v4.20.14622) to the .kobo folder of the Aura One. I rebooted the reader. This did not solve the problem.
Nothing has changed in the collections support in either the firmware or the calibre driver. There shouldnt be anything different.

The most common reason for this is when someone has changed between the built-in KoboTouch driver and the KoboTouchExtended driver and have not updated the configuration for the driver. The two drivers need to be configured separately. Otherwise, there have been some cases where the configuration of the driver is lost. This has happened mostly for the KoboTouchExtended driver, but, might have happened with the built-in driver with one of the changes in the last few months.

If the configuration of the driver you are using is what you expect, then I would need to see a debug log to see what is happening. You can run calibre in debug mode, connect the device and let the connection jobs run. Then close calibre and the debug log will be run. Post or PM the full contents of the log. If you post it, start a separate thread for it. From the debug log, I can generally work out what has happened.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware