Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #16
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I must be lucky, I can only remember one occurrence and it was in a library book and a previous reader caught it where it was the name of the wrong character so they drew a line through the incorrect name and wrote next to it the correct name. I was kind of glad they fixed it but I still feel that library books shouldn't be defaced, although I've managed to stop being outraged over pages that have been dog-eared.

My favorite memory of library book defacement was one where a character was using a lot of swear words and someone had gone through and marked them out with a black felt tip marker.

Eh, I take that back about only one; I remember starting a book and thinking that they really should have had a good proof reader / editor. But the book was also boring and uninteresting so it was quickly dropped on the return-to-library pile.
Exactly. I've almost never found a typo in my favorite authors's books. But as DiapDealer says, the standards I expressed above are too strict. This I trust him enough to adopt that stance.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #17
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It can be hard for writers to correct their own typos. Unless you can distance yourself from the work, you often "read" what you meant to say rather than what you actually said. It helps to set the work aside and forget what you meant to say before proofing it.

Editors don't have that problem.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If you're reading printed library books and not seeing any typos, that's a dead giveaway that the occasional typo isn't quite as disruptive as many seem to think they are. Because they're in there. In all of them.

Even if you DO notice them while reading, you probably won't remember them when thinking back on the book if they were infrequent enough. Especially if it's a book you enjoyed.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-27-2020 at 02:15 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Have you ever written a book? Have ever proof-read a novel-length book? Those little mistakes can be easy to miss. Words that are spelled right, but are the wrong word so the spell-catcher misses them. Missing words. It is hard to catch them all over 100,000 words.
Yes, I've copy-edited and proofread books. Yes, little mistakes can be easy to miss, which is why publishers hire people to be copy editors and proofreaders. Yes, spell-check misses wrong words that are spelled correctly, which is why publishers hire people to be copy editors and proofreaders.

Quote:
I've noticed a lot of reputable news sites contain more and more typos. This surprises me. How can we expect poor writers to correct typos when established news outlets don't bother anymore?
The trade-off for the immediacy with which a news article is posted is more typos. A book should be held to a much higher standard.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Besides true typos (spelling IN THE LANGUAGE OF THE BOOK. I like reading the various regional versions of English), I do find that homophones tend to be most jarring.

Then there are the technical detail errors . Space opera that uses Ground based references IN SPACE . Spark plugs on Diesel engines...

And is there a good reason to reinvent shipboard terminology that has been used forever (wooden sailing ships to the current spacecraft)?

Last on my list is inconsistent formatting (visible: a code mess is just poor practice)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #21
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Too many typos get on my nerves and pull me out of the book. I can understand them when reading an old (public domain) book that's been OCR'd and made available as an eBook. (I've done this on a couple books, and it's a lot of work.) I have more toleration for typos when reading a self-published or small-press eBook — though it seems like someone could have proofread them (sometimes they're really bad). What really bothers me is a lot of typos when I'm reading an A-List author who's book is published by one of the Big Five. These books make the publishers a lot of money. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to produce a polished "product." But it's breaking down everywhere. I remember when newspapers used to post corrections for insignificant typos in past issues. And it wasn't like newspapers weren't up against deadlines in the old days (when printed newspapers were actually relevant).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
For the record, I hate them when I notice them. I'm just not willing to hold today's authors/publishers/editors to a standard yesteryear's never met. Novel-length books without typos have always been unicorns.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-27-2020 at 05:36 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #23
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I don't have a hard and fast rule for typo's but by the end of the book if I'm still thinking about them, they get mentioned in the review. It has been quite a while though since that has happened. Either indies have gotten better or I'm reading less indies...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tend to notice typos and too many of them make it hard for me to enjoy a book. That's when I get out the digital blue pencil. Most of my annotations are either typos or homophones which I correct. since unlike some members of this forum, I tend to re-read books.

One recent example was a book in which the author managed to misuse rein, reign and rain as part of a massive collection of misused homophones. At one point, I was wondering if the book had been dictated into a speech to text program. The humourous part ( to me ) was when I commented on the misuse of homophones on the author's website, I was informed that there was no homophobia in any of her books.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The worst typos are names be it a character, place, or whatever. The thing is, I do read SF/Fantasy and there are a lot of names that are not in the English language and typos for names are wrong and should never happen.

Given that we have a spellchecker in Sigil and Calibre, it's unforgivable for even a single typo. But what is abominable is when the eBook has errors the pBook doesn't have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that we have a spellchecker in Sigil and Calibre, it's unforgivable for even a single typo.
Spellcheckers don't catch things like then when than is called for. You should consider looking for something that does.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:36 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Spellcheckers don't catch things like then when than is called for. You should consider looking for something that does.
There should be a list of words like then/than. They can be searched for to make sure they are correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #28
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The humourous part ( to me ) was when I commented on the misuse of homophones on the author's website, I was informed that there was no homophobia in any of her books.

And we all know that heterophones lead to heterophobia.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:38 PM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
FAR more annoying to me than typos (of which I make many) are the prissy petty pedantic prescriptivists who insist on conflating orthography with grammar. Using "their" for "they're" or "its" for "it's" (or vice versa) is still just a typo. It says nothing at all about the writer's grasp of English grammar. All it does is illustrate that English orthography is a nightmare. So unless the typo has unintentionally amusing consequences, or is one of real, grossly indecent offensiveness (e.g. spelling "espresso" with an "x"!), I ignore them. If I buy a book and find it contains a lot of typos, I might be mildly disappointed but it would take a non-stop stream of them to really irk me.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #30
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I will say I don't read a lot of self-pubbed stuff, but I see criticisms for all types of books, and I see the texts myself. I think it's just a snob thing. People love to give themselves airs. They probably just buy the book and put it on the shelf, then say "Oh, I couldn't read it. The typos!"

Anyway, maybe you feel differently.
I do feel differently because typos can have significance. For example, in a book I recently read from Oxford University press, I couldn't figure out what the author was trying to equate because of a typo. Ultimately, I did figure it out, but it caused me to stop and focus on a lesser point.

Having a lot of typos in a book can be a signal of a poorly researched book. From my perspective, if neither the author nor the publisher care enough about the book to minimize the typos, then the book is likely not worth reading. In addition, it causes me to wonder about the author's subject matter credibility.

Years ago I edited a book that was focused on a narrow economic point and was touted as presenting a new and novel theory that would revolutionize economic thinking. The author had a good reputation among his fellow economists, so the book was highly anticipated.

I was hired as an editor not a fact checker and the contract specifically stated that the author was solely responsible for verification of the correct spelling of names and identification of economic theories. I did query some names and theories with which I had some familiarity, but I did not fact check.

The process was this: author wrote the manuscript and sent it to me for editing. I edited the manuscript and returned the manuscript to the author so he could address my queries and could review and accept or reject any editorial changes I had made. By contract, the author was solely responsible for the final manuscript as submitted for publication because the author had final approval/disapproval of all proposed changes.

When the highly anticipated book was published, it received scathing reviews from the author's colleagues. Why? Because the author misspelled colleague names, assigned economic theory names to the wrong theories, and misattributed historical economic events. As it turned out, many of these errors were "typos" in the sense that the author dropped a letter or added a letter or simply otherwise misspelled something -- but these were all errors that the author could have and should have caught and corrected; they were subject matter specific and beyond what would be expected from any editor who also wasn't a subject matter expert.

Typos can be annoying and misleading and be the bane of an author.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
typographic errors, typos