Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-24-2019, 05:10 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
New Charger Needed

A couple of days ago I took a look at my old Sony prs 505 because I wanted to move one of the books onto my pc to convert to azw3 for my kindle. The Sony had a big exclamation mark on the screen and the words "No Battery!" written at the bottom.

Naturally, I did a very loonngg mains charge using the original Sony charger, but this has done nothing. No charging lights came on. So, before purchasing a new battery and twisting the arms of a techie friend, I wondered if my pc would recognise the reader anyway, allowing me to offload the books. The moment I put its usb cord into the computer the charging light came on!

I know from reading posts from years back that charging from a computer is inefficient, especially as I was thinking of snoozing soon (yes, I keep odd hours) so I need a new charger.

I took a quick look online, but decided to ask the helpful folk here where would be the best place to get the type of charger Sony used to make . . . you know, the type with a block and barrel. Most of those I found seemed to be standard mains usb chargers.

Please bear in mind I'm in the UK and we don't have Walmarts etc. If anyone has a working one they are prepared to sell, please let me know.

If this post is in the wrong dept, please move it to the marketplace. I wasn't sure whether it was a "help me with my sick 505" or a "where can I buy a suitable charger?" or "does anyone have one to sell."

Thanks for any help.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
richrock
Sony Reader Fanatic
richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.richrock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505
I bought a cheap one off eBay ages ago - usually around £5-10 including shipping. - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Char...EAAOSwHQ9WU13A

From what I understand, the USB charge rate is slower than the mains plug, which gives the battery a soft charge to start from near empty. Obviously it's never wise to leave it go so low, but that's a trick I've learned on my 505's
richrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I made an offer on one of the proprietary Sony chargers on ebay. I just hope the seller accepts and that it works.

I rarely leave my old Sony without charging for so long, but I read on my paperwhite and just have the 505 as a repository for books. When I want to read the books I move them to my pc then Calibre, convert and put on my kindle to read. The only ones I can't do this with are the .lrx formats.

Last edited by BookCat; 10-24-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I could have sworn the Sony PSP chargers were a valid replacement. No idea if they're any easier to find now, but they definitely were when I still had my 505.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:24 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I could have sworn the Sony PSP chargers were a valid replacement. No idea if they're any easier to find now, but they definitely were when I still had my 505.
I think they'll work — they just have a little longer "nose" than the PRS ones. You can also find cables (some two-headed) that will fit into a different USB "brick."

https://www.amazon.com/Fenzer-Charge...970146&sr=8-18

(I'm pretty sure you find something like this in England as well.)
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
The Sony PSP charger will work, it's the only one that I use for my 505, since 2008.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:03 PM   #7
BookCat
C L J

The offer I made for one of Sony's original 505 chargers was accepted. It should be with me soon. It's used but in working order. I paid £11 for it.

Edit: I've noticed that the psp chargers are only 5V instead of 5.2V for the 505, but they're much more commonly available and lower priced.

Last edited by BookCat; 10-25-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:20 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

Just thought I'd let you know that I received the charger and it works perfectly. Thanks for all the help.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Good news!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:42 AM   #10
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I think Sonies are pretty much picky when it comes to the cables.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I think Sonies are pretty much picky when it comes to the cables.
My Motorola smartphone charges just fine on any USB cable I've bought, but I have two different cables that won't work at all with my Sony PRS-T3.

The two cables that won't charge the Sony will charge my Kobo but it keeps popping up the "you are connected to a computer" message so I can't read while charging.

All of my cables work on my Tolino.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:51 PM   #12
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by revmike View Post
The Sony PSP charger will work, it's the only one that I use for my 505, since 2008.
Ditto, except I used the Sony OEM charger for about a year. My PSP charger is from Philips, here on Amazon USA for $7. I've found it more reliable than the OEM Sony (I forget exactly why, maybe charging didn't start sometimes using the OEM charger?), and use it all the time now (it's much more conveniently compact).
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #13
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
For the early Sony readers with the round barrel charging connector I use a dual connector PSP cable that has a standard USB A connector on one end and both a barrel connector and a USB Mini connector on the other end. Allows use of any USB charger to charge those antiques using the barrel connector.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Data-...2314472&sr=8-3

I have never gotten one of the old Sony's to charge decently using the USB mini connector.

Last edited by Richwood; 02-21-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead battery, faulty charger