Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #31
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I think the lack of backlighting is the only disadvantage of Sonies.

Otherwise they are nicely built and use the Adobe kit, accept sideloading of fonts, and a lot of epub features.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:28 AM   #32
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
The same could be said about actual books. Backlighting is a gimmick added because otherwise the price of ereaders would fall. Just turn on a light.

Next will be 3d or 4k or high dynamic range or something equally pointless.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 05:35 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I doubt I'm the only one who just reads novels that don't even have pictures other than the front cover.

The front light may not be important to everyone.

I still use my T3 occasionally if I am reading a book that has a lot of unfamiliar words because I like its dictionaries. It works just fine.

Not everyone feels compelled to have the latest and greatest just because it's available.
A lot of eBooks these days have a hi-res cover and a hi-res title page. Those can really slow down or crash a T1 or T2 Sony. I'm not sure about a T3 as I don't have enough experience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:40 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Otherwise they are nicely built and use the Adobe kit, accept sideloading of fonts, and a lot of epub features.
No, the T series did not allow side loding fonts. If you want all of your list, get a Kovbo. Nicely built, RMSDK (ADE), accepts side loaded fonts, more features then a Sony, Carta screen, hi-resolution, front light, comfort light, various screen sizes at 6, 7, & 8 inches, faster, and more working memory. So what is it that Sony has going for it that's not available in a Kobo? The answer is nothing. I've had Sony and I have Kobo. So I know from experience.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
The same could be said about actual books. Backlighting is a gimmick added because otherwise the price of ereaders would fall. Just turn on a light.

Next will be 3d or 4k or high dynamic range or something equally pointless.
So you are in bed with your partner. You decide you want to read. So you turn on the light and wake your partner. Yep, the front light is a gimmick.
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #36
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Saves setting the blanket on fire with candle. I remember reading under the bedclothes with an electric torch. Cost of batteries was a problem.
My dad admitted he does it with his PW as it's warmer and doesn't disturb his partner.

I hardly ever use the front light, but I don't object to it. I do wonder about the obsession over evenness. Ambient light often has bigger variations of shadow or sunlight through a blind.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Also they now only make electronic paper PDF corporate things, no ereaders.

Back in 2005 to 2011 they were a good choice. The T1 seems to have been the beginning of the end (they made strange decision, for Sony, to switch to Android). By the end of 2014 they were gone. Soon be six years ago.

I do like my PRS350 for taking out, but the Kindle PW3, Kobo H2O original, Nook Simple Touch and now Kobo Libre are all better than the Sony PRS-T1. I'm not sure that my short lived iRiver Cover Story wasn't nearly as good as the T1.

I nearly bought a second hand Sony T2, to loan out. I decided it wasn't worth it. I have the Kobo H2O, Nook Simple Touch and Kobo Touch N905C for loaning out. Admittedly the display can be poor on the Kobo Touch N905C, but it works better than the PRS-350 does or the T1 did, better sw than Nook ST or Cover Story too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #38
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of eBooks these days have a hi-res cover and a hi-res title page. Those can really slow down or crash a T1 or T2 Sony. I'm not sure about a T3 as I don't have enough experience.
My T3 was my everyday reader until about five or six months ago. I don't recall ever having a problem. Of course it's possible you and I aren't reading the same books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #39
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

I have never seen a hi-res cover cause a problem with my T1... and I'll frequently swap out covers for a higher resolution using Calibre. That sounds like a myth.

Also, might I suggest the exotic ancient technology called the book light?

Look, you can hate the Sony Reader all you want, but it's not like you will affect sales. They're dead. So why bother to rant about them here?
Old 11-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
My T3 was my everyday reader until about five or six months ago. I don't recall ever having a problem. Of course it's possible you and I aren't reading the same books.
I don't have any experience with the T3. Maybe Sony fixed the problem when they made the T3.

I do have experience with the T1 & T2.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:42 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Also they now only make electronic paper PDF corporate things, no ereaders.

Back in 2005 to 2011 they were a good choice. The T1 seems to have been the beginning of the end (they made strange decision, for Sony, to switch to Android). By the end of 2014 they were gone. Soon be six years ago.
The T series is when Sony also switched to plastic. I didn't find the switch to Android to be a problem. What was a problem was the cheap plastic buttons, I've seen photos of the silver coating on the buttons wear off.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:43 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I have never seen a hi-res cover cause a problem with my T1... and I'll frequently swap out covers for a higher resolution using Calibre. That sounds like a myth.

Also, might I suggest the exotic ancient technology called the book light?

Look, you can hate the Sony Reader all you want, but it's not like you will affect sales. They're dead. So why bother to rant about them here?
I never said I hated Sony. I owned a number of them. I've owned a 500, 505, 650, sand T1. I'm comparing the T1/T2 to new devices.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #43
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
I've never had an eBook crash on my T2. This is the first time I've even heard of the possibility of a hi-res cover or title page causing a crash. Is this really a problem?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 01:29 AM   #44
DoctorM
Groupie

Yeah. I have a T1 and I've never had high resolution pics bog it down. I think JSWolf got a lemon.

Actually, to be fair, I believe the Android based readers get screwed up from the incremental firmware patches.

My T1 used to get some serious issues (boot loops and such) at least once a year until I down flashed to 1.0.03.11140 then flashed directly to 1.0.07.05070. I haven't had a single issue with the reader in about 3 years since doing this.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #45
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
If I get along with the possible limitations of a device, I do not upgrade it.
I learned this more than 20 years ago, when a FW upgrade (the only irreversible one) ruined the ability of my best and back then insanely expensive CD-drive to read through protections.
I have a T1, a T2, and a T3, the "extremes" also in original covers, and I have no major problems at all (only some wishes). They also have ADE onboard, like Kobo.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote