Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
File Name problem with save to disk

When I fill an sd card for my tablet I like the names of my files in a specific format. (usually series and number - title - authors)

Using save to disk this works UNTIL I have an anthology with multiple authors. When the authors line exceeds the system limit (too many characters for the os) the name of the file is truncated before the authors.

I like being able to have all 32 or whatever authors in a large anthology listed in the calibre program but of course don't want it on the file that is going to go to my device to read.

Is there a way to have the series and title in full with whatever will fit of the authors? or better yet, a way to specify that authors are not to exceed "x" number of characters? It is quite frustrating to find a file in my "save to " directory with the name "b.epub" or "y.epub".

Lord, what I really need I guess is a "save to disk author" and a "calibre author for management purposes" lol.

Any ideas on the best way to do this are appreciated.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
aleyx
Addict
aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.aleyx can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Cybook Diva
The template language has some advanced formatting features; maybe there's one that will work in your case. Perhaps {author_sort:.10} will work? If not, you may have to use some of the more advanced template functions.
aleyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
My personal preference is to use this save template:

Code:
{author_sort:sublist(0,1,&)}/{title}/{title} - {authors:sublist(0,1,&)}
It is exactly the same as the default, except I use the sublist function to only use the first author.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
One suggestion not yet mentioned is to set up a custom field for a shorter author list.

I set up a custom "Author Lookup" field in my database. This allows me to not only keep the author list short because I can put anything I want in it, but it also lets me group together books in series by multiple authors.

Take the Wheel of Time series, for instance. If I were to save to disk based upon author, most of the books in the series would be listed under Robert Jordan while the last few would be listed under Brandon Sanderson, which would split the series and make the books hard to find.

So I put "Jordan, Robert" in the Author Lookup field, even the ones by Brandon Sanderson, and my save-to-disk template uses this.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all, I will try the save and think about using a separate column for the anthologies.
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidvo View Post
One suggestion not yet mentioned is to set up a custom field for a shorter author list.

I set up a custom "Author Lookup" field in my database. This allows me to not only keep the author list short because I can put anything I want in it, but it also lets me group together books in series by multiple authors.

Take the Wheel of Time series, for instance. If I were to save to disk based upon author, most of the books in the series would be listed under Robert Jordan while the last few would be listed under Brandon Sanderson, which would split the series and make the books hard to find.

So I put "Jordan, Robert" in the Author Lookup field, even the ones by Brandon Sanderson, and my save-to-disk template uses this.
It depends which author is listed first. THe first author will be saved in my template, and I think officially Wheel of Time last few books is by "Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson". So it would be saved as "Jordan, Robert" or without my template as "Jordan, Robert & Sanderson, Brandon".

Instead of using a custom column, just manually change who the main author is (i.e. whichever one is listed first.)
Old 02-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It depends which author is listed first. THe first author will be saved in my template, and I think officially Wheel of Time last few books is by "Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson". So it would be saved as "Jordan, Robert" or without my template as "Jordan, Robert & Sanderson, Brandon".

Instead of using a custom column, just manually change who the main author is (i.e. whichever one is listed first.)
The custom column is a better choice for anthologies etc though. This allows for keeping a list of all authors of an anthology (when possible) which I find preferable. I just like seeing all the books and anthologies that an author has. Makes looking for that "elusive" short story that is part of a series much easier.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
The custom column is a better choice for anthologies etc though. This allows for keeping a list of all authors of an anthology (when possible) which I find preferable. I just like seeing all the books and anthologies that an author has. Makes looking for that "elusive" short story that is part of a series much easier.
Why is it better to have the same list in two columns??
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
I just use the epub split plugin to get individual ss its easier to sort according to series etc
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Why is it better to have the same list in two columns??
The author sort and author are really two columns of the same information dependent upon each other for update. This leaves the editor info not listed anywhere IF you have all the authors listed.

If I wish to find anthologies by a specific editor I would then need a separate editor column.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
The author sort and author are really two columns of the same information dependent upon each other for update. This leaves the editor info not listed anywhere IF you have all the authors listed.

If I wish to find anthologies by a specific editor I would then need a separate editor column.
You can list the editor as the first author in the list. Unless you want to know specifically that they were only the editor?