Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
SirMassive
SirMassive began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen
Terminal or SSH through experimental browser

I would like to use shellinabox, anyterm, ajaxterm, GoTTy, WeTTY, or any other browser based terminal application to access my linux machine from the kindle's experimental browser. Firmware version 5.13.4.

GoTTY gives a websockets error on the handshake, and shellinabox shows an empty screen on the kindle, although there are no errors in the logs for the server. Kindle-TTY, an old github project, also shows an empty screen on the paperwhite 10th gen, but the title of the window is correct.

I understand that the experimental browser is not exactly feature complete. If I can figure out why these applications don't work I could fork and do a workaround, but I don't know what the kindle browser is lacking that is causing the trouble. Any help would be appreciated!
SirMassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
SkipStone browser might he better (or not)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...96&postcount=4
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2021, 12:25 AM   #3
SirMassive

The firmware version I am using cannot be rooted/jailbroken afaik, so unfortunately I have to use what our dear overlords at Amazon deign to offer.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
SirMassive

Quick update: I was able to get shellinabox working by cloning it from github and building it myself. A few adjustments needed to be made to get the on-screen keyboard button to show on the web page without having to right-click, since the kindle paperwhite doesn't have a right click, and the response time is abysmal, but I can ssh onto my computer and use tmux to see the session, which allows me to use the keyboard for the computer but the display on the kindle.
I tried GoTTY again, and it didn't work. WeTTY also does not work. Ajaxterm and Anyterm might work but I couldn't either of them to build. I got the Kindle-TTY project to work by adding webkit prefixes to the CSS, but it's a very clunky approximation of a terminal.
In summary, I think that the kindle's ability to process javascript is rather poor, and this results in a large latency between the session and the web page. The refresh rate of the screen is perfectly adequate. Makes me regret not jail-breaking it so I could use kterm to ssh directly.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #5
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMassive View Post
I would like to use shellinabox, anyterm, ajaxterm, GoTTy, WeTTY, or any other browser based terminal application to access my linux machine from the kindle's experimental browser. Firmware version 5.13.4.

GoTTY gives a websockets error on the handshake, and shellinabox shows an empty screen on the kindle, although there are no errors in the logs for the server. Kindle-TTY, an old github project, also shows an empty screen on the paperwhite 10th gen, but the title of the window is correct.

I understand that the experimental browser is not exactly feature complete. If I can figure out why these applications don't work I could fork and do a workaround, but I don't know what the kindle browser is lacking that is causing the trouble. Any help would be appreciated!
Such a coincidence. I had the exact same idea a few days ago. I got WeTTY working on a Kobo with an Alpine Linux chroot, though it didn't show anything in the browser, even if it did show that it was indeed on the right page. I also tried https://github.com/nickola/web-console , which did get to the (fake) prompt, but couldn't return back what I did due to an AJAX error. I used nginx web server and node http-server, none of them worked.
You can follow my guide on how to set up a chroot environment here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=336175
It's for Kobos but should be very similar for Kindles too.

Good luck!

Edit: I think I'll grab courage and upgrade to some 5.13.x jailbreakable version (from 5.6.5) via KindleBreak and see if I can get that working on my PW3.

Last edited by NiMa; 03-28-2021 at 10:25 AM.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #6
SirMassive

I think part of the issue with Wetty/Gotty is the websockets dependency since the kindle experimental browser doesn't support websocket 13, but the other part of the problem is that the full terminal implemented in JS is a bit heavy for the poor experimental browser, even with the older options like ajaxterm/shellinabox.
I was thinking of trying to lighten the load somehow by adjusting shellinabox. Or I might start something from scratch.
For some reason shellinabox only works sometimes, and other times I end up with a blank screen. Shellinabox also has the drawback of not opening the kindle's keyboard.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:15 PM   #7
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
GoTTY works *kind of* well on the Kobo, though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gotty.png
Views:	287
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	186242  
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:51 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That's because the WebKit version shipped on Kobo is only very slightly less shitty than the Kindle one ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
experimental browser, pw4, ssh, terminal