Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You don't have to be paranoid to use a device you paid for the way you want to use it. Personally I don't mind connecting to my books online, but I understand that others don't want to do that.
I think it's paranoid to not have an account at Kobo and do a proper registration. It's paranoid (IMHO) to think Kobo is going to find out everything you read and do something sinister with the information.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's kind if creepy, even if you allow absolutely no sinister intent.. I wouldn't want someone standing at my house window starring in at me as I go about my reading either.

Perhaps more practically speaking, on at least 4 occasions when I've had a brand new Kobo device in hand and though to try setting it up the regular way, registration fails with bizare error messages. (probably due to overload on release day.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's kind if creepy, even if you allow absolutely no sinister intent.. I wouldn't want someone standing at my house window starring in at me as I go about my reading either.

Perhaps more practically speaking, on at least 4 occasions when I've had a brand new Kobo device in hand and though to try setting it up the regular way, registration fails with bizare error messages. (probably due to overload on release day.)
Thing is every time you buy an eBook you give information to some company. Every time you borrow an eBook from Overdrive you could be giving Overdrive and maybe Kobo information. So why is it a problem to not do a proper registration? You cannot read many commercial eBooks without letting some companies know what you are reading. It cannot be done.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You cannot read many commercial eBooks without letting some companies know what you are reading. It cannot be done.
Unless you are using a VPN or otherwise hiding your IP address, it's pretty much impossible to download anything without being traceable.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote