Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Looking for a font

What font is it? If you know, tell me please! The two fonts are the same. (origin)

Click image for larger version

Name:	unknown font (2).png
Views:	294
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	155036

Name:	unknown font .png
Views:	263
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	155037
unknown font
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Looks like a flavor of Garamond.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I agree with Doitsu that it looks very Garamond-esque. The lower case t's upper left quatrant of the intersection between the vertical stroke and the crossbar are a major clue. Also the serifs on the capital S point toward a Garamond. The numerals are the Old Style non-lining style pointing to a Garamond Old Style, though most Garamonds dont close the bottom loop of the numeral 9. The sample has a moderately small X-height which is not shared by most modern electronic variants of Garamond.

Given that the baseline line in the sample is ragged, this appears to be from a scan of a printed book. This means that it is totally impossible to find exactly the same font in electronic form. Such things do not exist. Even the foundries that cloned their own metal fonts into electronic form altered the letterforms in the process. Also, the electronic kerning tables don't replicate the metal type's letterspacing, generally yielding improved appearance.

If you intend to use this in an ebook, be sure that the font you choose is licensed to allow embedding or is totally free to redistribute.

Last edited by dwig; 02-16-2017 at 12:01 PM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
chaot
Head of lunatic asylum
chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.chaot will give the Devil his due.

Device: Tolino Vision 3HD
Yes, looks fine. Especially the numbers. I download from here, so the license question don't exist, or!? Anyway, I don't care so much on these things (allowances, licenses etc.).
Or should I care?

Just I test them, EB Garamond 08 or 12 seems to fit my needs best.

Name:	EB Garamond 12.png
Views:	296
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	155040
EB Garamond 12

Name:	page_styles.css.png
Views:	289
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	155042
page_styles.css

Name:	page_styles1.css.png
Views:	343
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	155043
page_styles1.css

By converting the book calibre automatically install 2 page_styles.css files. Is that normal?
chaot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
Yes, looks fine. Especially the numbers. I download from here, so the license question don't exist, or!? Anyway, I don't care so much on these things (allowances, licenses etc.).
Or should I care?
You should care.

If the book is purely for personal use you can get away with stealing (read: illegally embedding) a font. If you plan on redistributing the ebook then serious issues could arise.

In the case of this font, the license clearly states that you are free to redistribute, including embedding, provided you don't sell the font by itself.

It looks like a nice Garamond Old Style derivative. I has a modestly small X-height (something I prefer) and a nice small cap variant. It is also very slightly "condensed", like the original sample in the 1st post.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #6
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaot View Post
so the license question don't exist,
Unfortunately, especially for fonts, license questions do exist. And failure to abide by the license can be extremely damaging, from a financial point of view.

With all websites that offer fonts, you need to do due diligence.You have to go back to the font foundry, to ensure that the license is what the vendor claims it is, and the rights you have, are congruent with your proposed usage. It doesn't matter if the font is gratis, or has an MSRP of US$10,000 for the 128 ASCII glyphs. Third party font vendors are not above misleading their customers about what rights are included in the various packages that they are selling.

Quote:
Anyway, I don't care so much on these things (allowances, licenses etc.).Or should I care?
Use the wrong license for a book, and you can end up paying a very pretty penny. There is a Garamond variant out there, for which the license fee to use in an ebook is a cool million dollars.

Amber
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote