Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2017, 02:35 AM   #2026
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninki View Post
Mine 5.8.2.1
As mentioned, only the first three digits count. The third must be below 8 to do the jailbreak.

But what I really want to point out: Keep away from the internet with your Kindle! I.e. keep the device in airplane mode (WiFi off). Otherwise it could update to the latest 5.8.9.2 and you'd be lost. With 5.8.2.x you're still a lucky guy who can simply do the jailbreak as described here!
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:21 PM   #2027
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
Kindle PW3

As I said before Iam wayyyy oer my head here
I read things several times i still have questions sorry

So just to be clear, mostly to myself

I got a Kindle paper white 3 G090 G1 (PW3) with firmware 5.8.2.1

Iam not testing with the dummy installation package because my kindle has never
been jailbreaked so i wll start in "Step #0"

Step #0
Register Kindle
Special offers with time online (i Think)
Fully Charge
One step at the time.
If after finishing a step the previous file its still there, erase it
Kindle in airplane mode

Step #1
My kindle is (PW3) with firmware 5.8.2.1

Step #2
Save Copies of documents files for when Iam back in my original firmware
Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Reset

Step #3
Download my model's initial factory firmware image

PW3
factory_PW3_5.7.4_initial
factory_PW3_5.7.4_md5
This one?

md5 validation file may be used to confirm that the download was complete and correct.
umm How?

Step #4
Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Menu -> Update Your Kindle

Step #5
Download and install the current version of Branch Delay's factory firmware jail break.
Do i Have to restart here? or after returt go to step 6?

Step #6
Download and install the current 'hotfix'

Step #7
You can now update your Kindle to a newer firmware version
Same one I have before or I can go for newer one?

Step #8
All of the models covered in this thread must use one of the two following installation methods for update_*.bin name format packages.

Iam fuzzy here. Do i have to install this first or its only for say the screensaver hack? After the jailbreak and firmware update?

If I jailbreak my PW3 will be able to change the margins?
Screensavers?
Kindle collections manager by ixtab?
JB Patch?

what are my odds for bricking it?

please and thanks
ninki

where i live airplane mode its not going to be a problem...its downloading all those big files
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2017, 06:29 PM   #2028
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
factory_PW3_5.7.4_md5
This one?

md5 validation file may be used to confirm that the download was complete and correct.
umm How?"
On a mac, you open a terminal window, and type "md5 factory_PW3_5.7.4_initial". Then you compare that number, to the number that is inside the TEXT file "factory_PW3_5.7.4_md5". You can read it in that same terminal window by typing "more factory_PW3_5.7.4_md5".

On a PC, I'm sure it's similar. On a Linux box, it's identical to what I just said.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #2029
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Step #3
Download my model's initial factory firmware image

PW3
factory_PW3_5.7.4_md5
This one?

umm How?
This is not normally required, it is only here for troubleshooting Step #4 problems.

The Kindle will not try to install a corrupted or incomplete update_*.bin name format file.
They are checksumed and the checksum is cryptographically signed.
But it does no harm to check it anyway.

badgoodDeb's way will work, although eyeballing that long number is not fun.
Linux (and similar for Mac machines) with both files in the same directory:
Code:
> ls -1
update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin
update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin.md5
Use the '-c' (check) option to the md5sum utility and the name of the validation file:
Code:
> md5sum -c update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin.md5
update_PW3_5.7.4_initial.bin: OK
The question of how to do this on a Windows box has come up and the answer is somewhere here, in this thread.
Use the "Thread Search" tool in the blue bar above to search for it.

- - - -

Step #5 is Step #5, after doing that activity, go to Step #6.

- - - -

Step #7:
The Kindle has no memory of what was on it before, so pick one.
I recommend the most recent listed in the spoiler (because you can re-jailbreak that one).
There are newer firmwares than those listed, but they can not be jailbroken.

- - - -

Step #8:
'Must use' means: "Must use" - I can think of no other translation.

Both the KUAL menu system and the MrPI package installer for the PW3 are: "Un-archive to top of visible USB storage" packages.
That is to say, they do not need an "installer" to "install" them.
Just be sure that your un-archive tool is set to create the directory structure stored in the archive.

Any of our add-ins that are packaged in a file with the: update_*.bin name format must be installed with MrPI.
Just like Amazon's they are model locked and cryptographically signed.
The only reason for MrPI is that Amazon got tired of sharing their on-board installer application and changed it to not accept our packages.

- - - -

Afterward:

Margins: Depends on the type of book and the firmware version running.
There is a thread about that question, the best summary I can give is: Maybe, Sometimes.

Screensavers: Yes

CM by ixtab: Usually. Nested collections are no longer supported (say thanks Amazon).
This one is firmware version specific, stay with the version in the Step 7 list and the answer is: Yes

We also have another tool for creating collections, LibrarianSync.
It can build collections based on the directory structure under /documents and it can build collections based on the output of Calibre.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=166

JBpatch (by ixtab): No

- - - -

A quick check shows that 13,500 PW-3 devices have been jail broken here (plus probably the same number in Russia and twice that in China - Russia and China have their own Kindle sites).
And since you seem to be the "ask before you act" type of person, I would say no chance at all.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:05 AM   #2030
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
If I jailbreak my PW3 will be able to change the margins?
Screensavers?
If sucessfully jailbroken, I really can recomment the very, very, very good port of CoolReader by Vlasovsoft: http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/en/
Don't be worried about the name "chess" - even if you don't know anything about chess (except that there are 64 fields and it's all about moving figures around... ), it's not the (shareware) chess program that matters, it's the bonus programs in this packet! The CoolReader is FREEWARE, and really the very best port I've ever used. Allows exessive lots of configurations. So e.g. pixel precise margins, font sizes, ...

And BTW, after you've installed the "Vlasovsoft Tools", there's a subdirectory /vlasovsoft/sleep/ where you can put your PNG pictures as screensavers (converted to 4 bit grayscale, recommended 600*800 pixels, what is even for high resolution screens a more than sufficient resolution). They're just randomly selected when switching off CoolReader or it's idle for more than 10 minutes, i.e. it's NOT the book cover the Kindle shows. But I like just these personal, though "neutral" screensavers most - I'm daily traveling for about 4 hours by train and other passenders must not know what book I'm actually reading ...

BTW: I've had a little problem with two of the three PW3 I've jailbroken (I, as an old computer nerd, often help friends of mine with this a bit tricky procedure ...). They got stuck on the boot screen "child under a tree" logo just after obiously successfully downgrading to the initial fw and automagically rebooting. Hardware reset (long pressing the on/off button) didn't do anything except that the LED blinked either green or amber - seemingly the device was "bricked". Here it helped to connect the Kindle to USB, and when the PC found it as USB drive, I once again tried the reset via long pressing the on/off button (device still connected to the host computer). Then it worked, rebooted correctly to the main menu of the initial test fw, and I could do the ;installHtml command and all the other steps smoothly.
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #2031
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
Pw3

Thank you very much fro all the answer
now i get to get them home and re-read them several, have another several more questions probably and see if do the deed.
My KT is jailbroken and i love it. i just dont remember its so hard, must be getting old.
I will let you know how its goes
ninki
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #2032
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you very much fro all the answer
now i get to get them home and re-read them several, have another several more questions probably and see if do the deed.
My KT is jailbroken and i love it. i just dont remember its so hard, must be getting old.
I will let you know how its goes
ninki
The one you used on your KT was very much different.
It was perhaps the simplest ever found.

Amazon/Lab126 corrected their firmware so that jb no longer works on these newer devices.

From 4th July last year until Amazon introduced firmware version 5.8.8, every device running any firmware version could be jail broken.

The prospects for another jail break?

The bad: Everyone here is a volunteer.
It will not happen unless someone stumbles on it (or gets very lucky in their research of the Amazon system).

The good: Everyone here is a volunteer.
There is no telling how many million$ Amazon has spent to keep Kindle owners from having control of their own device.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #2033
evanrmurphy
evanrmurphy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Hi, first post here. I'm trying to jailbreak a Kindle PW1 but ran into an issue. (I tried to jailbreak my Kindle PW2 yesterday, but alas! It had one of the cursed firmware versions. So I had to trade for this PW1

Following the initial instructions and the Legacy devices, jail breaks link in the OP, I was able to successfully downgrade the PW1's firmware to 5.3.3.

Now I'm on step 5 of the OP's instructions. I got main-htmlviewer.tar.gz from the Factory Image Jail Break link and placed it on the Kindle's top-level directory next to 'documents/'. Then after ejecting, removing the USB cable and entering ';installHtml' into the search bar (and hitting the return button), nothing happens! The screen doesn't flash, it doesn't reboot, and when I check the Kindle's files again there is no 'Jail Broken' document under the 'documents/' directory.

Any ideas for how to troubleshoot this and get the jailbreak working?

I'm amazed by the elaborate hacks and scripts put together here by volunteers to help people get control of their devices. Thanks for all the great work!

Update: I just noticed that after downgrading the firmware, maybe now I should no longer be using the OP's instructions, but rather I should turn to the Kindle Touch/PW1/PW2 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork. instructions. Is that right?

Update 2: Hunch from first Update was right - I just successfully got the jailbreak from that link working! So sorry for the noise and please disregard my earlier question above.

Last edited by evanrmurphy; 06-01-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Added 'Update 2:' at the end
evanrmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #2034
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrmurphy View Post
Hi, first post here. I'm trying to jailbreak a Kindle PW1 but ran into an issue. (I tried to jailbreak my Kindle PW2 yesterday, but alas! It had one of the cursed firmware versions. So I had to trade for this PW1

Following the initial instructions and the Legacy devices, jail breaks link in the OP, I was able to successfully downgrade the PW1's firmware to 5.3.3.

Now I'm on step 5 of the OP's instructions. I got main-htmlviewer.tar.gz from the Factory Image Jail Break link and placed it on the Kindle's top-level directory next to 'documents/'. Then after ejecting, removing the USB cable and entering ';installHtml' into the search bar (and hitting the return button), nothing happens! The screen doesn't flash, it doesn't reboot, and when I check the Kindle's files again there is no 'Jail Broken' document under the 'documents/' directory.

I'm amazed by the elaborate hacks and scripts put together here by volunteers to help people get control of their devices. Thanks for all the great work!

Update: I just noticed that after downgrading the firmware, maybe now I should no longer be using the OP's instructions, but rather I should turn to the Kindle Touch/PW1/PW2 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork. instructions. Is that right?
Are you on a Mac?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #2035
evanrmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Are you on a Mac?
Yes I am. However I just successfully got the jailbreak from Kindle Touch/PW1/PW2 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork. working! So sorry for the noise and please disregard my earlier question!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 PM   #2036
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Well in answer to your question, you have to turn off safe something or a tar file gets rejected.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:21 PM   #2037
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - -
Now I'm on step 5 of the OP's instructions.
- - - - -
- - - - -
You are jail breaking a PW-2 and you are now on Step #5 ? ? ? ?

How did you get past the:
Quote:
** The PW-2 is a special case at this point in the directions **
  1. Use the prior 'universal jailbreak' from this post:
    Old Universal Jail Break
  2. After completing those directions, skip the next two steps here and continue with Steps #7 and #8 below.
Notice in Step #4?

The very best way to get the jail break working is to read and follow the directions.

- - - - -

And I don't get your reference to cursed PW-1 firmware version(s).
Every single one of the PW-1 firmware versions can be jail broken, in some cases in a rather round about way, but none are: "cursed".

Of course, once again, you have to read and follow directions.

Last edited by knc1; 06-01-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #2038
evanrmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You are jail breaking a PW-2 and you are now on Step #5 ? ? ? ?
[...]

And I don't get your reference to cursed PW-1 firmware version(s).
Every single one of the PW-1 firmware versions can be jail broken, in some cases in a rather round about way, but none are: "cursed".
Sorry I confused matters by mentioning both Kindle PWs. It's the other way around - I was first trying to jailbreak a PW2, but the firmware version was one of the ones you marked as 'This jailbreak will not work' (the version I called cursed).

Later, trying to jailbreak a PW1, I had trouble at step 5. But that was before I realized I should be jailbreaking the PW1 with Kindle Touch/PW1/PW2 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork. rather than this thread's JB. Now that jailbreak has worked and I'm on cloud 9!!

Thanks again so much for the great resource, and also for responding to my post here so quickly.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #2039
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - - - -
Later, trying to jailbreak a PW1, I had trouble at step 5. But that was before I realized I should be jailbreaking the PW1 with Kindle Touch/PW1/PW2 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus FW 5.x USBNetwork. rather than this thread's JB. Now that jailbreak has worked and I'm on cloud 9!!

Thanks again so much for the great resource, and also for responding to my post here so quickly.
As you can see in the title, that is the same one you would be using for a PW-2, so I hadn't caught that you typo'd (interchanged) the PW-1/PW-2 nicknames.

Quick replies happen here more often than not.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #2040
cliver
Connoisseur
cliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enoughcliver will become famous soon enough

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Question Help jailbreaking PW2

Hi all,

I have a Paperweight 2 (2013) AKA:
Serial Number: 905A 2201 4223 0KKG
Firmware version: Kindle 5.8.9 (3164600017)

I have tried following this forum and http://lifehacker.com/how-to-jailbre...dle-1783864074
But get stuck at the first hurdle.
I understand I need to downgrade my firmware but when I transfer the .bin file to my kindle, unmount it and try to "update" it the update selection is grayed out. When I reconnect to my computer the .bin file is missing.
What am I doing wrong?
Can I jailbreak from this version of firmware?
I'm confused right now, not that that is difficult to do
Any pointers greatly appreciated

Regards
Clive
cliver is offline   Reply With Quote