Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
cascade1
cascade1 began at the beginning.

Device: M92 PRS600
Dedicated reading in darkness device

Hello

I currently use M92 for reading technical/historical papers in PDFs and occasionally old beat up PRS600 for other plain text lite reading. I have an extensive library of different formats in Calibre that I mainly keep in sync on an SD card.

I am looking for a dedicated read in darkness reader with preferably one hand operation that is small and light.

I tried a couple of reading lights that I can use with decent results but I am in need of a one convenient device that can be used in awkward positions to read in bed with minimal glow. I do use blue light filtering glasses often so the color of the glow is not so important as long as the text is crisp and clear.

I will be reading mostly plain text but I have a number of scanned books/documents in PDF format so I guess screen density is important with limited reflow options.

I am not interested in joining any ecosystem for purchasing books so manual upload is a must.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by cascade1; 06-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.
cascade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I don't know about the newer Kobos, but on my Glo even the 1% light setting is blindingly bright in the dark. The Pocketbook Inkpad 3's light is barely noticeable on the lowest setting, so if the Touch HD 2 is similar (likely), it would be a candidate to look at. It has physical buttons in addition to the touch screen, and a card slot. 300 dpi, which is as high as e-ink currently offers. No ecosystem, works well with Calibre. Some details here.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I don't know about the newer Kobos, but on my Glo even the 1% light setting is blindingly bright in the dark.
I never had any real issue with the Glo, but it would have been good to have it go a bit dimmer. But, all the newer Kobo devices I have used will go a lot dimmer. And the ones with the ComfortLight Plus that can adjust the colour seem to go even dimmer when you adjust the colour.

Quote:
works well with Calibre.
And I'd like to think that all Kobo's work very well with calibre.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I don't know about the newer Kobos, but on my Glo even the 1% light setting is blindingly bright in the dark.
The original Glo is by far the brightest Kobo. Newer models go to a dimness that is comfortable in pitch dark.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:27 AM   #5
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
If you are talking about a lighting device, and not an e-reader, then I can recommend Nitecore products that can do 1 lumen at the lowest setting. I use them myself.

For example, this is a good little lamp for night-reading that you can carry around in keybundle http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/tube

And this one is good for everything, as a bicycle light, in the yard, and indoors http://flashlight.nitecore.com/product/mh12gt

For the latter one you have to add a little white filter to disperse the light (otherwise it emits a narrow sharp beam, it's a "thrower" type of flashlight). The former one emits an appropriately dispersed light, it's perfect as it is.

The only additional problem with these lights is to place them solidly, hang them or fix them so they are at a perfect angle.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
cascade1
cascade1 began at the beginning.

Device: M92 PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
If you are talking about a lighting device, and not an e-reader, then I can recommend Nitecore...
Sorry not interested in another flashlight. Looking for a new reader device.

I like the idea of the Touch HD 2 tho.

How is that infrared touch compare to capacitive. Is it true that there is less screen to see thru resulting in better text appearance?

Last edited by cascade1; 06-12-2018 at 10:23 AM.
cascade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade1 View Post
I like the idea of the Touch HD 2 tho.

How is that infrared touch compare to capacitive. Is it true that there is less screen to see thru resulting in better text appearance?
Well, the screen on HD (and HD 2) is definitely crisper and clearer than anything else I have seen, but it could just be the 300 ppi though.

But a concrete experiential advantage with infrared touch, compared to capacitive, is that it always reacts as expected. On other screens I get mistaps, but I never did on HD. I think this is likely due to infrared touch.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Well, the screen on HD (and HD 2) is definitely crisper and clearer than anything else I have seen, but it could just be the 300 ppi though.

But a concrete experiential advantage with infrared touch, compared to capacitive, is that it always reacts as expected. On other screens I get mistaps, but I never did on HD. I think this is likely due to infrared touch.
Whereas my experience is the opposite. On my AuraHD, which is infrared, I constantly have problems with the touch screen not registering my touch, or registering a long press as a swipe, or something similar. I also have the annoyance that when I'm reading in bed, if a piece of the sheet/blanket touches the screen it turns the page (or does something else unwanted). With my capacitive devices, I (almost) never have an issue it not registering a touch, and when I do, it's very rare.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
PDFs? I think you are better off with a tablet than an ereader. Which one you get depends a bit on your budget, where you live and your eyesight. My late sister thought the inexpensive Fire was the cat's meow for reading in bed - she could adjust the light to whatever she wanted. It was heavier than an ereader, but still lighter than a paperback. I've used the Fires for reading pdfs for several years now. Really quite excellent although I now have to go to a larger unit because of my eyesight.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:09 PM   #10
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Whereas my experience is the opposite. On my AuraHD, which is infrared, I constantly have problems with the touch screen not registering my touch, or registering a long press as a swipe, or something similar. I also have the annoyance that when I'm reading in bed, if a piece of the sheet/blanket touches the screen it turns the page (or does something else unwanted). With my capacitive devices, I (almost) never have an issue it not registering a touch, and when I do, it's very rare.

Shari
Your experience is indeed the opposite. Probably the reason is not the infrared then, but Pocketbook must be doing something right and Kobo wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
PDFs? I think you are better off with a tablet than an ereader.
Here's what an ereader can do with pdf https://youtu.be/sXuplTRvsEM?t=35
Old 06-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Your experience is indeed the opposite. Probably the reason is not the infrared then, but Pocketbook must be doing something right and Kobo wrong.

Here's what an ereader can do with pdf https://youtu.be/sXuplTRvsEM?t=35
Thanks for the link. I was going to say that it makes a difference where you live, but I see Amazon offers Pocketbook Touch Lux 3 on their website, so not a problem. It certainly fulfills the OPs request.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
mobama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Thanks for the link. I was going to say that it makes a difference where you live, but I see Amazon offers Pocketbook Touch Lux 3 on their website, so not a problem. It certainly fulfills the OPs request.
Touch Lux 3 has 256 MB of RAM. Touch HD and HD 2 have 512 MB, a significant upgrade that gives an even better pdf experience.

Inkpad 3 has 1 GB of RAM. I have an Inkpad 2 (512 MB of RAM), which I like over the 3 because of the placement of the hardware keys, wider bezels, and a Notes app that collects highlights and annotations from the entire library in one single place. The Notes app is, in my opinion, the single most intelligent solution in the entire software and very sad that Pocketbook dropped it in their current flagship. However, Inkpad 2 has a Pearl screen, probably too outdated for most people's taste.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascade1 View Post
Yes, that is true. The capacitance layer theoretically degrades the display, though it's probably arguable how noticeable this is and may depend on the individual. I don't really notice it with the InkPad 3 (capacitive). But yes, with an IR system, there is one layer less between the viewer and the text.

Usage-wise, I don't really notice a difference, but I don't take my readers outside in the winter (if you wear gloves, IR would definitely be a major advantage).
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #14
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
On my AuraHD, which is infrared, I constantly have problems with the touch screen not registering my touch, or registering a long press as a swipe, or something similar.
Most likely you're aware of this, but just in case, could there be enough dust or detritus around the edges that makes it wonky? I once gently pushed a toothpick around the edge, and then used a cloth to finish up cleaning everything, and then the infrared performed better.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #15
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Most likely you're aware of this, but just in case, could there be enough dust or detritus around the edges that makes it wonky? I once gently pushed a toothpick around the edge, and then used a cloth to finish up cleaning everything, and then the infrared performed better.
I've done that a couple of times, but it's worth another try! Thanks for the suggestion!

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote