Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
1. Is it suitable for someone who wants to produce books for the Kindle?
Absolutely, and don't mess about with Calibre or Kindlegen or anything else. Upload the epub to the KDP, then download the converted book file (Step 6 in the publishing process) and thoroughly examine it in all possible emulations in Kindle Previewer (which can be downloaded at the same place if you don't already have it). The KDP does a brilliant job with epubs.

You will of course have validated the epub by running Flight Crew or whatever it's called, and also by uploading it to epubcheck online. The latter is important if you plan to publish on Apple iBookstore, not so vital for Amazon, B&N, and Kobo.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Absolutely, and don't mess about with Calibre or Kindlegen or anything else. Upload the epub to the KDP, then download the converted book file (Step 6 in the publishing process) and thoroughly examine it in all possible emulations in Kindle Previewer (which can be downloaded at the same place if you don't already have it). The KDP does a brilliant job with epubs.

You will of course have validated the epub by running Flight Crew or whatever it's called, and also by uploading it to epubcheck online. The latter is important if you plan to publish on Apple iBookstore, not so vital for Amazon, B&N, and Kobo.
What is the problem with using Kindlegen that makes sending the ePub to Amazon to convert better?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #18
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Please can you answer some very basic questions about Sigil.

1. Is it suitable for someone who wants to produce books for the Kindle?

2. Would you have to use it to make the ePub file and then convert that using Calibre, or can it make a mobi file itself?

3. If you did that would you have a well formatted Kindle book, including a TOC.NCX for chapter navigation?

4. Is it suitable for someone who doesn't know or want to know about HTML, CSS etc.

(I have used both Mobipocket and InDesign to make Kindle format books including all the formatting, tox.ncx etc. but I have never used Sigil. The person who would be using it knows nothing.)

Thanks.
Assuming that you have an ePub file that passes all requirements of Sigil, you can then send the ePub file to KINDLE PREVIEWER which will then translate the file to MOBI (Using KINDLEGEN) and save the MOBI file to the ePub folder.

However, garbage in garbage out. So learn Sigil and you get a two for one.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Those aren't exactly new features (drag 'n drop or kindlegen's integration into the Previewer). But I guess if people didn't realize you could drag source material onto kindlegen's or the Previewer's icons, then it might as well be new news.
I would say the new feature is - before the current version Kindle Previewer used to do a job inferior to a conversion by Sigil. Now it's the preferred method.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I would say the new feature is - before the current version Kindle Previewer used to do a job inferior to a conversion by Sigil. Now it's the preferred method.
Ah, I see what you're saying, now.
But really... the previous conversions were only "inferior" because, well... MOBI. They're only "better" now because you're seeing the new improved KF8 format version of the file. But the old "inferior" MOBI is still a part of what Previewer/Kindlegen produces. In fact, it's what gets delivered to devices that don't support KF8.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
abeonis
eBook DIYer
abeonis began at the beginning.

Device: K4, KF HD 8.9, Readium
Quote:

1) I wonder how you change the css file used for epub by the mobi/kf8 one. If you don't do the change, you probably limit your common css to be compatible with the 3 formats (the old mobi supported css indeed)

2) It can happen that the uploaded epub, validated by Flight Crew, fail in KDP giving you enigmatic error messages. Kinlegen will give you more precise.

You should have a look (again) at the thread: UNABLE TO UPLOAD Validated epub File to Amazon

I personnaly prefer to run my flow step by step and validate the end of each step before starting the next.
abeonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #22
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You'd have to use something to convert the ePub to mobi, because Sigil only makes ePubs.
Depends on the program used to create the mobi from the ePub, and how you constructed the ePub in the first place (and if you properly created a working NCX in the epub to begin with). In other words... even a perfectly valid, working, well-formed ePub can be converted to a terribly formatted, non-compliant Kindle book.
Is there any interest for those who choose the Sigil route to have this "something" tool do the job for you without using Calibre (Windows only)?

Last edited by abeonis; 06-08-2013 at 05:44 AM. Reason: I speak english as a french duck
Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #23
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
4. Is it suitable for someone who doesn't know or want to know about HTML, CSS etc.
IMHO, there are 3 minimum skills you must have:
  • Your driving license (to escape on week ends), 19th century
  • Speak english (lucky you ANSI people), 20th century
  • Know HTML and CSS. Not only for eBooks, but for your web site, your post in your blog, your FB page, etc. 21st century
I have a scoop for you, it is easy and funny, believe me, I have been there and I am not a developper. I guarantee you that once you start dominating the minimum subset, you do really feel stronger, better, higher. Hum ...

Last edited by abeonis; 06-08-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #24
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is the problem with using Kindlegen that makes sending the ePub to Amazon to convert better?
Oh, absolutely none! I'm sure it comes out the same in the end. But I am a belts-plus-suspenders formatter. The usual routine is to drag the epub onto Kindle Previewer to convert it, then examine the result in the Kindle, Fire, and other emulators, then upload the converted book file to the KDP. I fear the possibility that something could go wrong in the upload, and also I have a perhaps pathetic hope that the KDP boffins have a more sophisticated or powerful Meatgrinder on their end than I do with my downloaded Kindle Previewer (or Kindlegen, which I believe is much the same).

Hitch assures me that I am far too nervous, but that workflow (epub to KDP to downloaded *.mobi file to Kindle Previewer) has worked well for me.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #25
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeonis View Post
1) I wonder how you change the css file used for epub by the mobi/kf8 one. If you don't do the change, you probably limit your common css to be compatible with the 3 formats (the old mobi supported css indeed)
I haven't found this to be a problem. I have in the past used some KF8-only features like drop-caps, but gave that up when Amazon changed the line spacing in the Fire-compatible devices and apps. You can see my (more or less) current style sheet at notjohnkdp.blogspot.com (Dec 23 post).
Old 06-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
abeonis
eBook DIYer

Quote:
I haven't found this to be a problem. I have in the past used some KF8-only features like drop-caps, but gave that up when Amazon changed the line spacing in the Fire-compatible devices and apps.
Now I remenber you and your expeditive solutions.

KDP Thread: Translating book into spanish - characters not recognized

You can use a bulldozer as well.

Last edited by abeonis; 06-08-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
I know quite a bit, but the person I'm asking for is a beginner and knows nothing. That is why I was looking for a solution which did not require HTML or CSS knowledge.

I'm now having a look at Jutoh, which might be easier and can generate output for Kindlegen. Is there somewhere in the forum where the product is discussed, as this is not the right place. Apart from one thread when it first started it seems mysteriously absent?
My humble apologies for continuing the off-topic off-forum discussion, but I suggest you also investigate Atlantis word processor (see large thread here).

In brief, it is a word processor that can input MSWord doc files and exports both epub and (in the most recent version) kindle files (produced automatically via kindlegen from the epub). It is reasonably priced at (IIRC) around $40, and there is a time-limited trial version. Runs on Windows, so I don't use it myself, but it has a good reputation last I heard.

YMMV

Albert
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Oh, absolutely none! I'm sure it comes out the same in the end. But I am a belts-plus-suspenders formatter. The usual routine is to drag the epub onto Kindle Previewer to convert it, then examine the result in the Kindle, Fire, and other emulators, then upload the converted book file to the KDP. I fear the possibility that something could go wrong in the upload, and also I have a perhaps pathetic hope that the KDP boffins have a more sophisticated or powerful Meatgrinder on their end than I do with my downloaded Kindle Previewer (or Kindlegen, which I believe is much the same).

Hitch assures me that I am far too nervous, but that workflow (epub to KDP to downloaded *.mobi file to Kindle Previewer) has worked well for me.
No...

I told you last year that you could convert ePUBs to MOBI files, an idea that you learned to embrace so well that you put it in the "How to make your Kindle book" you've started selling on Amazon this year, and on your related website.

Then I told you that KP is precisely the same exact program as KindleGen, just in GUI form,and precisely the same program that is running at the KDP. There isn't a magic "extra program" at KDP. I've tested this repeatedly; the files you get from step 6 (or whatever it's numbered) are exactly the same file you get from Previewer. Same content in, same content out, whether it's KG, KP or KDP. (There are compression settings which can be altered on the command line for KG, but still...same in, same out.)

What you do not get, no matter what you do, is the final "for-sale" file, which absolutely has the possibility of being slightly different than what you uploaded, because Amazon can/does make small changes in what is called the PW (Publishing Workflow). The SRL, for example, can and does change.

THAT is what I've said. I never said you were "nervous," and I've never told anyone who isn't a commercial bookmaker to try to upload an ePUB at the KDP. Nor would I. For an ePUB to succeed at the KDP requires some minor modifications, assuming someone is making a book that isn't completely vanilla or formatted like a Word file. It requires fallback coding for the K7 devices, among other things. That starts to move out of the sphere of a DIY bookmaker and is likely not anything that s/he wants to do.

When I was still posting at the KDP--a venue I've essentially given up even reading, much less posting--I always warned DIY'ers to download their preview file and review it on Previewer, as they are usually quite startled at the outcome of the "I uploaded a PDF/Word file..." efforts. While your efforts are certainly very QA-oriented, the extra step of uploading an ePUB to the KDP, downloading it, etc., is really make-work. You can see the same file, plus any warnings or errata, by the simple expedient of dropping the ePUB on Previewer, and then loading the resulting mobi as your publishing file.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No...
Very well said. It's just a shame that Amazon cannot give tools that once the file is made, that's it, it's made. So whoever is making the eBook can see how it looks and once it's done, it's done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #30
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
No...
Hola, Hitch! I do apologize if I have associated you with a process that doesn't meet with your approval!

It's true that my books are mostly vanilla, now that I have abandoned drop-caps. However that may be, my least successful books are those that were uploaded as Word docs in 2007, the moderately successful books are those that were uploaded as html (usually zipped) from 2008 to 2011, and the most successful are those that have been uploaded as epubs last year and this.

In any event, I will stop giving you credit, though I will always be grateful. -- NJ