Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2006, 06:31 AM   #16
William Moates
Zealot
William Moates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Librie / Sony Clie / Sony Reader
I'm on Mac OS X, which is BSD-based, so I took the plunge to see if I could use your app. I used Fink (and the FinkCommander GUI) to upgrade python 2.3 to 2.5, installed/compiled pyUSB 0.3.5, then installed libprs500-0.2. setup.py ran without errors, and I could get prs500.py to run, but it gives me errors when trying to read the device. I don't have udev on my version of Linux (it's apparently only in the Debian distros), so I had to create the udev folder, and the 90-local.rules file. That didn't affect the read errors I was getting from prs500.py, so I think udev is not related to the the problem.

I don't have python-dev or libusb-dev installed, and they aren't available as Fink packages. (Neither is udev.)

Have you tried your app on other Linux boxes?

For now, I consider libprs500-0.2 a proof-of-concept. If I could see it installed and run on other Linux boxes, then I'd call it a prototype.

(Okay, I just looked up the two terms, and they appear synonymous, so I may be splitting hairs. If I could reproduce your results, I'd call it a prototype. Perhaps others have had more success.)
William Moates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well I've tested it on Gentoo and Kubuntu. libusb has problems on Mac OSX, unfortunately I dont have a Mac on which to test it. If you look at the code in communicate.py there is a todo in there about mac osx. If you post the error messages you get that would be helpful.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2006, 02:22 AM   #18
William Moates
Zealot

In that case, it's a prototype.

I will post the error messages when I get a chance: my forum-reading computer is different from the one I tested libprs500 on, so I couldn't easily paste the error messages into the reply I was writing.

libusb was installable via Fink, so it may be OK now. Let me look into that, and into the todo in communicate.py--that's where the error originated.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:45 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah there's no fundamental reason why this shouldn't work on OSX, besides a little tweaking of the USB parameters. I've updated the first post in the thread with the most up-to-date installation information.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #20
William Moates
Zealot

I was also trying to get others to post tales of their success/failure with libprs500. Every little bit helps.

Well? Anyone??
Advert
Old 11-13-2006, 07:39 PM   #21
leha
leha began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Thanks for providing linux library, works well in Kubuntu.

The only thing that I got problem with is help message for cp command. Part of it says
"Device paths have the form: device:mountpoint/my/path"
It took me 10 min to figure out that "device" should be just the word "device" and not an actual linux device (considering there is no device created for reader it was long 10 min). Other then this the utility is very usable, thanks.
leha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Glad to hear that it works. I'll improve the usage message for the next release.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:16 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I've isolated the problem on OSX to bulk reads failing in libusb. Unfortunately, I dont have enough access to an OSX system to debug that.

Uploaded a new version that makes the usage of cp a little clearer (I hope).
Old 11-15-2006, 01:32 AM   #24
William Moates
Zealot

my error messages

Ok, here's the errors I got from libprs500-0.2:

Code:
VeeTechV1:/sw/bin wdmoates$ prs500.py info
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/prs500.py", line 290, in <module>
    main()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/prs500.py", line 183, in main
    dev.open()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500/communicate.py", line 196, in open
    version = self._bulk_read(24, data_type=USBProtocolVersion)[0].version
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500/communicate.py", line 289, in _bulk_read
    packet = bulk_read_packet(data_type=data_type, size=packet_size)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500/communicate.py", line 281, in bulk_read_packet
    data = data_type(self.handle.bulkRead(PRS500Device.PRS500_BULK_IN_EP, size))
usb.USBError: usb_bulk_read: An error occured during read (see messages above)
I upgraded to libprs500-0.2.1, and here's the errors I get:

Code:
VeeTechV1:/sw/bin wdmoates$ prs500.py info
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/prs500.py", line 290, in <module>
    main()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/prs500.py", line 183, in main
    dev.open()
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500/communicate.py", line 192, in open
    version = self._bulk_read(24, data_type=USBProtocolVersion)[0].version
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500/communicate.py", line 286, in _bulk_read
    packet = bulk_read_packet(data_type=data_type, size=packet_size)
  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libprs500/communicate.py", line 278, in bulk_read_packet
    data = data_type(self.handle.bulkRead(PRS500Device.PRS500_BULK_IN_EP, size))
usb.USBError: usb_bulk_read: An error occured during read (see messages above)
Still getting the error with bulk_read_packet. This is my fault, because I didn't get the error message to you sooner.

However, I did have some other successes:

Only Python 2.3 comes with Mac OS X versions 10.3 and 10.4, and Apple's documentation on it is sketchy. I first tried using Fink to upgrade, where I had to install xfree86 to upgrade to Python 2.5. The second time, I found out Python's website had Mac installers for Python 2.5 (you can find them here ), so I did that on my second Mac, which made things much easier.

In both cases, I've gotten libusb and pyUSB to install without much problem--they're mostly idiot-proof.

Here's the libprs500 commands which perform without error:

prs500.py
prs500.py --version
(when unplugged) prs500.py info

When I use these commands, I get the same bulk_read_packet error I mentioned above:

prs500.py info
prs500.py df
prs500.py cat
prs500.py ls

If you need more info, let me know.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:32 PM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Thanks, yeah that's the same error I was getting in my testing. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be in the libusb implementation on the Mac. Basically any attempt to perform bulk read/writes fails.

I don't know enough about USB internals on the Mac to debug it. Knowing me I'm probably not going to be able resist the challenge to learn though ;-)
Old 11-23-2006, 02:59 PM   #26
seamusfp
Enthusiast
seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.seamusfp has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I've been lurking on this thread for a bit hoping someone would solve the OS X problem.

But I decided to take the plunge and see if I could help work on things. However, I'm a bit of unix noob and can't seem to find python 2.5, I downloaded fink but I can only see 2.3 and 2.4.
seamusfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:20 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

http://www.python.org/download/

I will get around to working on OSX, it's just not high on my list of priorities. Right now I'm working on reverse engineering the LRF format and building a GUI.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #28
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Let me know if you need any help with that
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 05:08 PM   #29
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I'd be interested, too!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well I have written a meta information reader/writer for LRF in python, that seems to be more complete than existing tools. That's what I need for the GUI atm, so I will work on the rest of the LRF format later. If you want to track development
Code:
svn co https://svn.kovidgoyal.net/code/prs-500
To install,
Code:
python setup.py develop
Commands are: prs500, prs500-gui, lrf-meta
Additional requirements: pyxml and PyQt4

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 12-02-2006 at 01:36 AM.