Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
fddekker
fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thumbnails in windows explorer

I have a collection of ePub books that are stored on a Linux formatted NAS and accessed through various Windows PCs. I also have an Android tablet on which I do most of my reading.

I recently added CBXShell / ShellExtension / FileMeta to my PC and now see thumbnails rather than ePub icons for all my books which I love. The problem is that most (75%) ePubs don’t have the cover as the first page of the book, and thus the title page is displayed as the thumbnail and not the cover. This is frustrating because on the Android tablet the books correctly display the cover as the thumbnail.

So it appears that the .epub does not miss the cover metadata, but rather just needs to have the cover page added as a front page.

I have tried Calibre (edit metadata) and two of Calibre’s plugins (Modify ePub and Generate Cover) and neither does this correctly. It does add the cover in Calibre’s library, but that is NOT what I am interested in, I want it displayed in Windows explorer.

Is there a simple way that I can accomplish this? It just appear that this should not be that hard.

Thanks in advance.
fddekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried the calibre Polish function?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
fddekker
fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fddekker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes I did. Both the:
"Update cover of the book files" and
"Add/replace metadata as a "book jacket" page.

They do what they say they would do, but that is not adding an additional page to the actual file.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #4
fddekker

If I look at the zip file, I can see that the actual cover is in the image file, it is:
9781616734404.jpg

But in explorer a different jpg, 1b3.jpg is displayed as the thumbnail, which I assume is windows generating the thumbnail from the first page.

Is there a way that I can somehow bring the correct jpg as the first page? Which is the file in which the order of the book is determined?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
fddekker

Actually I found the solution.
1) change the file extension from .epub to .zip
2) rename the .jpg file you want to use as the cover to cover.jpg
3) copy this .jpg file to the root of the .zip file
4) change the file extension from .zip file to .epub

I now have all my epub books displayed as thumbnails in Windows 10, juts like pdf files!!!

Last edited by fddekker; 05-19-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 11:56 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I assume you used a batch file/powerscript?
Sounds like something worth doing now the Edge handles epubs natively.
Thanks for the tips!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
fddekker

No I did not; but believe me, I wish that I knew how to write the script to be able to do it!
Old 05-19-2017, 07:03 PM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddekker View Post
No I did not; but believe me, I wish that I knew how to write the script to be able to do it!
Well, it's a bit late now but years agone when I was looking to run the Gutenbeg Prettifier I built a 14000 line batch file using the Windows command line (dir/s > listing.txt), Word search and replace, and excel autofill. Took me a half hour to write and a week to run. Crude but effective.

Faster than learning to grep anyway.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast
Pachuqismo began at the beginning.

Device: SM-T820, Galaxy S7
@fddekker

Great tip - I had tried the same plugins and resorted to using Sigil (i.e. load the file and under Images in the book browser rename the cover.jpg so that it appears first in the list - e.g. 0000cover.jpg).

Your tip works quicker.

Cheers mate!

Last edited by Pachuqismo; 07-29-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Clarity
Pachuqismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #10
oileak
oileak began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
that is a great way to insert the cover image into the epub. I also found that if I open up WINRAR goto the epub book that I want to change and highlight it. Press Alt + V (i macro it out on my logitech keyboard) and just drag and drop the cover in the root directory, I don't have to go through the process of renaming it to .zip , insert image, and renaming it back to .epub.

Last edited by oileak; 11-08-2017 at 09:30 PM.
oileak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:54 PM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
This sounds like a good option for the modify plugin you could maybe ask the developer maintaining the modify epub plugin for an option to rename all internal cover files to cover.jpg he might agree to add such an option no harm in asking. And the quality check plugin could add the option to check epubs to see if the overs are named like you want.

Modifiy Epub Thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=154371
Quality Check Thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125428
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover image, explorer, metadata edit, thumbnails