Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #31
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
What's the difference between "limited" and "very limited," anyway? I thought limits were binary conditions - either it's limited or it isn't limited. It's kind of like promoting something as a "limited edition." Every edition is limited! It may be limited to a few billion, but that's still a limit!
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #32
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
This is why people like you and I don't work in marketing
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #33
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
This is why people like you and I don't work in marketing
Actually, I hate to tell you this, but my job technically does fall under the marketing umbrella. I maintain a website, which is primarily a marketing tool.

I try not to think about that too much.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #34
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
What's the difference between "limited" and "very limited," anyway? I thought limits were binary conditions - either it's limited or it isn't limited. It's kind of like promoting something as a "limited edition." Every edition is limited! It may be limited to a few billion, but that's still a limit!
I feel the same about the use of the word "fraction". "It's being sold at a mere fraction of the price!" Well 99/100 is a fraction. So is 105/100. So saying something's a fraction does *not* mean it's a bargain.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #35
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I feel the same about the use of the word "fraction". "It's being sold at a mere fraction of the price!" Well 99/100 is a fraction. So is 105/100. So saying something's a fraction does *not* mean it's a bargain.

But if it's a proper fraction it does (or at least it's a reduction).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fracti...oper_fractions

So perhaps in common usage 'proper' is elided ?

"Cheap at half the price"
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #36
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
Extremely limited time offer, for one year only buy any book at -47% off the lowest original price! And as a special deal, buy any three books for -3/4 the price!
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #37
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Extremely limited time offer, for one year only buy any book at -47% off the lowest original price! And as a special deal, buy any three books for -3/4 the price!
That reminds me of a little game I play, in one of the shops the shopkeeper welcomes you saying "Only today! Items which are usually priced at 120% are discounted by 20%!"

It's meant to be a joke, not serious, and it did make me laugh.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:24 AM   #38
Kacetwo
Connoisseur
Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kacetwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-Reader
Buy one get a second for exactly the same price
Kacetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:01 AM   #39
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Maybe the mind (is it possible that more than one mind could have produced such copy?!) will post here and tell us what he thinks (without any promotional hype, of course, which will cause my Moderator's 'stinker-alarm' to go off).

When all is said and done, I did buy the set, but not because of the promotional, over-the-edge hype; but rather, because the titles and the 'shoot-straight' description of said titles looked interesting to me.

Has anyone else purchased this set?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #40
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Yes I bought it just before I posted it as it looked interesting. I am on the mailing for these bundles so if they look reasonable I post them on this forum.

I am used to the blurb that comes with the email that I didn't take much notice of it.
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:54 AM   #41
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Monster Hunter International by Larry Can't spell his last name is free today on Kobo. Good tough guy book, lots of action--kill anything that moves type of book. I like these types, although I do find Larry Corriera sp? books can be a tad repetitious with themes. These are sort of like Robert Crais in the fantasy realm (although Crais tends to have less of the "one upmanship" for the battles as the book progresses).

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...-international
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #42
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
It bugs me when things are labeled "half price" and marked down from $5.99 to $3.00.
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #43
orangekiwi
Addict
orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orangekiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: paperwhite
Written in Red (A Novel of the Others book 1) by Anne Bishop is currently $1.99 in the US
https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...itten-in-red-1
http://www.amazon.com/Written-Red-Ot.../dp/B008RD34VO

This is generally classed as urban fantasy but it's set in an alternative earth I guess and has some great world building and is fun to read, no real romance and it''s much better than it's synopsis makes it sound.

SYNOPSIS

No one creates realms like New York Times bestselling author Anne Bishop. Now in a thrilling new fantasy series, enter a world inhabited by the Others, unearthly entities—vampires and shape-shifters among them—who rule the Earth and whose prey are humans.

As a cassandra sangue, or blood prophet, Meg Corbyn can see the future when her skin is cut—a gift that feels more like a curse. Meg’s Controller keeps her enslaved so he can have full access to her visions. But when she escapes, the only safe place Meg can hide is at the Lakeside Courtyard—a business district operated by the Others.

Shape-shifter Simon Wolfgard is reluctant to hire the stranger who inquires about the Human Liaison job. First, he senses she’s keeping a secret, and second, she doesn’t smell like human prey. Yet a stronger instinct propels him to give Meg the job. And when he learns the truth about Meg and that she’s wanted by the government, he’ll have to decide if she’s worth the fight between humans and the Others that will surely follow.
orangekiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #44
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia

https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/eb...-international
Baen Free Library so also free everywhere. First of series

Monster Hunter International (Monster Hunters International Book 1) by Larry Correia

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter...dp/B00APAH7PQ/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Monster-Hunt...dp/B00APAH7PQ/
http://www.amazon.ca/Monster-Hunter-...dp/B00APAH7PQ/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #45
TrevorViking
Wizard
TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TrevorViking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
It bugs me when things are labeled "half price" and marked down from $5.99 to $3.00.
I would mark it at $2.99 and proclaim "more than half off!"
TrevorViking is offline   Reply With Quote