Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 12:59 PM   #61
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I have one, got it as a present years ago. Cannot find it however I
try. Someone on the forum knows where I put it?
Top drawer on the left .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #62
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Top drawer on the left .
Hey that's where mine is - have you been snooping in my house?!

plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #63
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Top drawer on the left .
Now where are my nail clippers?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:51 PM   #64
prdufresne
prdufresne began at the beginning.

I would like the ability to categorize my books (on PC if necessary) then have the ability to filter by category on the hardware.

The built-in wifi would also be infinitely more useful if it could access RSS feeds directly. If you could bookmark an RSS as a title, then when you access the title, it could fetch the latest update of that RSS feed.

I know calibre will do that for you, but that requires a daily sync. I see no reason the device couldn't fetch the RSS feed directly. Most of the necessary code is probably already in the firmware and used for access to newspapers, magazines and the shopping functions.
prdufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #65
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Wow, is this part of the wish list for the next firmware update: a general stuff finder? I could go for that.

Please, pretty please: other than fixing the current bugs, do give us a "Go to page" option. Clicking through a whole chapter, just to "close" a book and "return it" to the bookshelf, is a huge pain.
Cause if you don't give us that, we'll need the stuff finder, just to find our books on the shelf...
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 12:52 AM   #66
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
Please, pretty please: other than fixing the current bugs, do give us a "Go to page" option. Clicking through a whole chapter, just to "close" a book and "return it" to the bookshelf, is a huge pain.
I was lazy to have a look at this topic and I still am. My bet is
that the nature of db makes it hard to implement. In contrary,
they would do it in a minute or two.
Go-to was high on my want list. Now, when all goes fine, I'm
just reading and doing nothing to make it myself.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 AM   #67
prdufresne
prdufresne began at the beginning.

Quote:
I was lazy to have a look at this topic and I still am. My bet is
that the nature of db makes it hard to implement. In contrary,
they would do it in a minute or two.
I suspect the issue has more to do with the fact that page numbers will vary based on the font size you're using, etc. so the page number shown is very dynamic.

Quote:
Cause if you don't give us that, we'll need the stuff finder, just to find our books on the shelf...
Based on what you're describing, a simple menu item to "Close Book" would be sufficient. This would be a simple matter of clearing the bookmark and removing the "I'm Reading" tag.

Last edited by prdufresne; 12-02-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Correcting an error
prdufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #68
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
My resquests
English Dictionary for the the classic Kobo TM

hyperlinks
dictionary support for books sideloaded trough ADE or Calibre
Go-to page
PDF reflow

erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #69
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
I suspect the issue has more to do with the fact that page numbers will vary based on the font size you're using, etc. so the page number shown is very dynamic.
Good point. But couldn't they put in something like "Go to Last Page"? The last line in the book will always be on the last page, regardless of font.

Quote:
Based on what you're describing, a simple menu item to "Close Book" would be sufficient. This would be a simple matter of clearing the bookmark and removing the "I'm Reading" tag.
Yes, that would do the job nicely as far as I'm concerned. Better, actually, than "Go to last page".

Okay, change wish:
Give us a "Close Book" option.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:05 PM   #70
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I wonder if instead of goto page, would go to percent be easier? Not ideal, but I'd take goto 65% over no goto at all.
plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #71
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I wonder if instead of goto page, would go to percent be easier? Not ideal, but I'd take goto 65% over no goto at all.
To me it doesn't make a problem. Never mind if you cannot find the
correct page. You could correct it in a few steps. What bothers is
the lack of it. My 2 cents would be: if I have to go to page 122, let
me go to 126 and I will do the rest.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #72
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
I have already passed my suggestions on to Customer Service but I figured I would share them here for the sake of discussion.

1)The Kobo tells you it is finished updating it's database after you add a bunch of new files when it isn't leaving people thinking it is frozen and reseting it with a pin. This leads to a corrupt database and more issues. If you wait a minute it will finish successfully but they need to fix this in a firmware update.

2) There is far too many button presses to go online and update your library over wifi. The Kobo should be able to connect automatically to networks it remembers.

3) Buttons should be remapable. This would help to ensure you don't just wear out the default press for turning pages plus being able to remap page turning to one of the buttons on the left side might be handy for left handed folks.

4) Dictionary not working with books you add yourself.

5) Battery life goes down quite quickly with wifi enabled. I would like ideally to be able to press one button and have my Kobo connect to the web, update the library and then disable wifi automatically.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:52 PM   #73
Stuart_L
Stuart_L began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, EeePC w/ FBReader
What I think would be a nice feature, is to be able to personalize the ~Powered Off~ screen, so that I could add my name and possibly some 'if found' type information. Even better would be to allow me to just drop a 600x800 image onto the Kobo, with a specific name (powered_off.png?) and have to Kobo note that the file is present and use it instead of the corporate logo sceen.
Stuart_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #74
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Stuart, take a look at post 77 on this thread. The person posting was using the beta of the new firmware and had created his own image file that could be used in lieu of the standard Kobo cover. If you have the right software, you can include the kind of information you are talking about on that.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #75
Stuart_L
Stuart_L began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, EeePC w/ FBReader
If I could figure out how to build and install a 1.4 image using the code from kobolabs, I could probably manage it. Unfortunately I am not quite skilled enough for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Stuart, take a look at post 77 on this thread. The person posting was using the beta of the new firmware and had created his own image file that could be used in lieu of the standard Kobo cover. If you have the right software, you can include the kind of information you are talking about on that.
Stuart_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo