Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #196
Jane Eyre
Enthusiast
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes, currently you cannot convert books delivered by Amazon in KFX format if you are running the latest e-ink Kindle firmware or latest version of Kindle for PC/Mac.
This is no good at all... but maybe someone could find a way..
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #197
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Eyre View Post
This is no good at all... but maybe someone could find a way..
The best way (in my opinion, at least) is to download from the Amazon website using your "My Content and Devices" page. Doing that, you will get a book in the kf8 format, which can still be cleaned by the tools.

Of course, this only works if you have a Kindle tied to your account, but I'm assuming that the people in this thread do, since it's about a firmware update for Kindles

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #198
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
The best way (in my opinion, at least) is to download from the Amazon website using your "My Content and Devices" page. Doing that, you will get a book in the kf8 format, which can still be cleaned by the tools.
Caveat with that, KFX usually gives much higher quality images than KF8 (e.g. maps, etc).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:48 PM   #199
Jane Eyre
Enthusiast
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Yeah, I used this method in the past. Nowadays I don't need to do so
Besides, I would rather kfx format beacause of enhanced typesetting..
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #200
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
You have an option to turn it off in the font settings. Just turn off "continuous scrolling" and you'll be able to go back to reading like you used to.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Also my kindle basic (previous generation) just updated wirelessly to 5.10.2. At first the update option in the setting menu was greyed out but after plugging in to charge and syncing, the update started immediately.
Thanks for the tip. I couldn't figure out how to get it to let me go back to flipping pages like I am used to. I can't figure why they put the option in myself (to continuously scroll). Flipping pages is much more book like I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 AM   #201
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I couldn't figure out how to get it to let me go back to flipping pages like I am used to. I can't figure why they put the option in myself (to continuously scroll). Flipping pages is much more book like I think.
There are some people who prefer scrolling.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:15 AM   #202
mabelsound
mabelsound began at the beginning.

Device: non
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes, currently you cannot convert books delivered by Amazon in KFX format if you are running the latest e-ink Kindle firmware or latest version of Kindle for PC/Mac.
I'm actually not able to convert the files downloaded from "manage your content and devices," either—the files lack any file extension, and adding ".KFX" doesn't seem to work. Anyone know if/how these can be converted with the tools?
mabelsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #203
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I'm actually not able to convert the files downloaded from "manage your content and devices," either—the files lack any file extension, and adding ".KFX" doesn't seem to work. Anyone know if/how these can be converted with the tools?
Those are supposed to be azw3.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #204
zaqxsw
zaqxsw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 - Gen 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
If you choosing a Paperwhite device, I agree that the files directly downloaded and manually transferred will always be .azw3 and can be processed with Calibre. I have never seen an exception yet, but almost all of mine come from a state online library.

In my opinion, that is one of the big advantages of Paperwhites.

I have seen the .kfx format from other people's devices, but have no experience handling them as I have no need (yet???).
zaqxsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 12:16 PM   #205
mabelsound
mabelsound began at the beginning.

Device: non
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
You're right—that's the file extension that worked. I'm not accustomed to adding books to Calibre this way, thus the confusion. Thank you!
mabelsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:03 PM   #206
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
You're right—that's the file extension that worked. I'm not accustomed to adding books to Calibre this way, thus the confusion. Thank you!
The files should not lack the extension. I never change anything that comes from download and transfer. If the extension is missing I would blame your browser.
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 AM   #207
mathil
Addict
mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Sorry for hijacking the thread with such a stupid question, but does anyone know/remember how to remove the percentage from the battery indicator? Or has it been added by default? I don't use my Paperwhite much, I know it's been there at least since 5.10.1.1 (now updated to 5.10.1.2) but I can't remember how it got there. It looks really bad, IMHO.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:39 AM   #208
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread with such a stupid question, but does anyone know/remember how to remove the percentage from the battery indicator? Or has it been added by default? I don't use my Paperwhite much, I know it's been there at least since 5.10.1.1 (now updated to 5.10.1.2) but I can't remember how it got there. It looks really bad, IMHO.
5.10.1 added the battery percent to every Kindle that didn't already have it. On Paperwhite it could never be disabled. Also the option to not see it anymore on Oasis 2 was removed (battery percentage now shows on both normal and large view).
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #209
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Basic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
There are some people who prefer scrolling.
Undoubtedly. And, at one time, some people cried over books with pages replacing scrolls much like some today cry over ebooks replacing paper books. I even know some people stuck in the mechanical age who need buttons to push.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #210
NullNix
Fanatic
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
5.10.1 added the battery percent to every Kindle that didn't already have it. On Paperwhite it could never be disabled. Also the option to not see it anymore on Oasis 2 was removed (battery percentage now shows on both normal and large view).
The percentage turned out to be very useful for me when I was trying to figure out what was going on with my original Oasis internal battery -- so I'm happy with that change. The insane bopping-about of the percentage would have been opaque to me without it. (I could have got a percentage by plugging it into the charging case, but that would have disturbed the results...)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote