Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-01-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
waldhaus1
waldhaus1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Dx
ebook library management

I find over time I have accumulated a library of DRM ebooks from several sources including Google, Apple Books, Kindle, and Kobo. I would like to maintain a list of the books in Calibre. I am not trying to remove the DRM, I just want to know which ebooks I have, and which platform they go with.
Is there a way to import Kindle books, Apple Books etc into Calibre even if they have DRM active? I realize I won't be able to read the books on the Calibre app. I just want help managing my library.
Thanks for any suggestions.
waldhaus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:52 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Import as normal.
If you don't have the magic plugin, then you still can send to device (assumes it is the registered device)

Whose DRM is a little more complex.
AZW3 format is solidly Amazon
EPUB and PDF (with DRM) could be Adobe
Where you got them
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldhaus1 View Post
I find over time I have accumulated a library of DRM ebooks from several sources including Google, Apple Books, Kindle, and Kobo. I would like to maintain a list of the books in Calibre. I am not trying to remove the DRM, I just want to know which ebooks I have, and which platform they go with.
Is there a way to import Kindle books, Apple Books etc into Calibre even if they have DRM active? I realize I won't be able to read the books on the Calibre app. I just want help managing my library.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Yep, Calibre will accept the books just fine. Calibre only touches the DRM if you've set it up to do so using third party plugins.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-02-2019 at 12:03 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
waldhaus1

One problem I encounter is that when I point Calibre to my Kindle library on my iMac it gets Amazon's cryptic titles rather than the book titles. Does the a Kindle need to be attached or is there a way to use my Mac Kindle App?
Thanks for the feedback
Old 01-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldhaus1 View Post
One problem I encounter is that when I point Calibre to my Kindle library on my iMac it gets Amazon's cryptic titles rather than the book titles. Does the a Kindle need to be attached or is there a way to use my Mac Kindle App?
Thanks for the feedback
Calibre imports Kindle Titles just fine (Note: I drag and drop those weird AZW3 names into the Library.
I sort the My Kindle folder by Modified date, the open a book in the Kindle app, flip a page, the close the book. I refresh the date and that books filename rises to the top. That is the name of the AZW3 file I DRAG n Drop
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
waldhaus1

I have tried following your suggestions. I open the Kindle app on my Mac, open a book, then go to the location Kindle stores the books on the Mac and ask Calibre to add a book (AZW file from that location. At this point only 7 of my Kindle books are downloaded onto the Mac. I have tried importing all of them. they all import with the nonsense file name.
Do I need an actual Kindle connected to the Mac?
I usually consume my ebooks on an iPad and don't have an up to date Kindle.

My goal is to have a central library of all my ebooks which include google play, Apple Books, and Kindle. (I know would have been smarter to stick with a single vendor.)
I haven't tried to get Apple Books onto Calibre yet.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Preferences -> Adding books -> check the box "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name"
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote