Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-09-2019, 05:59 AM   #1
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Import odt (Libre Office)

Linux Mint, Libre Office and Calibre.
When I am updating to a new version of a text I've written I've noticed that occasionally the cover image replaces the first image in the text. To keep all existing meta data and original "browsed for" cover image, I delete all book formats from an entry in Calibre after editing author on imported book (as that is my real, not pen name) and then Merge.
This has always been occasionally happening since I switched to odt and Linux instead of save as LibreOffice to .doc or earlier used MSWord 2002 on XP.
The source texts never have a cover image. I note you can turn off cover image detection in some other formats of import but not odt. Also .doc import isn't available on Linux Calibre though it is on Windows. Even installing Word on WINE makes no difference. Not a problem as LibreOffice Writer seems to import any version of Word doc or docx more reliably than some versions of Word do.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a setting or is it a bug? If I "convert" to epub I can open for edit in Calibre and the original image is in the list of stuff. If I find the correct place in the HTML then I can edit in the correct image without having to import it.
FrustratedReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

save as docx in libreoffice not odt and you can use the option to tell calibre to not treat the first image as a cover.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere
FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FrustratedReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre on Linux doesn't seem to want to load docx? Or am I doing something wrong.
I did set that docx option.

Thanks

PS I used the program for ages on XP and never knew you did support here. Great system though a little overwhelming for newcomers.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere

Ah, obviously I was using .doc before, as I have only up to Word 2002 on XP and Win7 and I've always avoided later than .doc 97-2003 as the later versions such as docx seem "fragile". I do have the docx import add-on on word on XP but not on any later version of windows.

I do use Libre Office Writer now only, for over 2 years, though I have used Star Office, Sun, Open Office ancestors of it.

I'll only edit in ODT though as then position is remembered and probably more reliable. Import of docx succeeded.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
FrustratedReader
Busy elsewhere

Interesting, not only does docx work on Linux, but the setting for line spacing on Kobo GUI is different AND I can select alternate to the Publisher Font which was ignored before with odt. Same epub settings except screen. I selected Tablet instead of PW3 as images had started to go tiny (they were fine last month!) because I read that "Tablet" leaves them unchanged. I have two versions of source, one for paper with 300 to 600 dpi images for 6" x 9" paper and one for eBooks. Up till last month the eBook images OK on big smart phone (Aldiko & Bluefire), Kindle Touch, PW3, DXG, Sony PRS350, Binatone Readme Daily (weird LCD ereader that plays MP4 video but not still images?) and Nook Simple Touch as well as Tablets. They suddenly started being postage stamps on Kobo H2O, except some in same book would be fine!
So I factory reset the Kobo as so many other problems. Seems most might be related to epub vs kepub.