Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
And you wonder why customer support gets testy dealing with people who can't admit they made a mistake. If you follow a path that is not supported and brick your device then it is your fault, not the fault of kobo or the device. Kobo has stated multiple times not to do this as there are different firmware versions for different devices.
This is being discussed on the following thread, as Kobo representives have commented on this in that thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=194159&page=4
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
And you wonder why customer support gets testy dealing with people who can't admit they made a mistake. If you follow a path that is not supported and brick your device then it is your fault, not the fault of kobo or the device. Kobo has stated multiple times not to do this as there are different firmware versions for different devices.
His point is about the difference between "incompatible" and bricking. (and also that it should NEVER load incorrect firmware in the first place).
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:59 AM   #18
semhoun
semhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
I will not blame kobo for briking my device. But i will blame them to don't add a way to made a hard reset easily.
semhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #19
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
If you now have a bricked Glo, return it as a warranty return.

Don't mention the firmware upgrade. Just say it isn't working. This is not to mislead the seller, but will avoid them not understanding what the cause of the problem is (your average book store staff won't know about firmware).

And the device is clearly defective, if it will allow the loading of firmware for a different device to break it completely, with no option of doing a factory reset. Especially as Kobo prior advice on this is that the different firmware versions would be 'incompatible', not that it would render your device completely inoperatable.
Indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by semhoun View Post
I will not blame kobo for briking my device. But i will blame them to don't add a way to made a hard reset easily.
There is a way to hard reset. I can't remember where I read it*, but it works the same as with the Kobo Touch, only instead of using the home button, use the light button. So:

- Slide the On/off slider for enough seconds to be sure the device is off
- Press and hold down the light button
- Slide the on/off slider once as if you were switching it on, whilst still holding the light button

That should give you disco white flashing led light and restoring screen. You can let the light button go.

*Found the source: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2252198. But, it's not 100% that it will actually work.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-19-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 AM   #20
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semhoun View Post
I found how to fix the kobo. In fact it's really simple. In supposing recovery is mount as /media/recoveryfs and root as /media/rootfs. I fix it with this command:
rm -rf /media/rootfs/*
cd /media/rootfs/
tar xvzf /media/recoveryfs/upgrade/fs.tgz

That's all.

@mdclements I don't broke my kobo ;-)
Great!

Only, to do this, you'd have to get the device connected to your computer... How did you get that to work?

EDIT: Or, did you open the device up and get the card out?

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-19-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
brad_in_burnaby
brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.

Thanks Mrs_Often, you solved my problem

Thank you for the hard reset hints, it worked for me. I had to continue holding the light and slide switch until the screen flashed, but it unlocked my Kobo Glo. I was thinking to return it to the store, but that was just my 'decision of the minute'.
The problem started when I synched using the Kobo s/w and it automatically upgraded to 2.1.4 - 10/11/12. Couldn't get past the Release Notes splash page, couldn't turn it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Indeed!!

There is a way to hard reset. I can't remember where I read it*, but it works the same as with the Kobo Touch, only instead of using the home button, use the light button. So:

- Slide the on/off slider once as if you were switching it on, whilst still holding the light button

That should give you disco white flashing led light and restoring screen. You can let the light button go.

*Found the source: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2252198. But, it's not 100% that it will actually work.
brad_in_burnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_in_burnaby View Post
The problem started when I synched using the Kobo s/w and it automatically upgraded to 2.1.4 - 10/11/12. Couldn't get past the Release Notes splash page, couldn't turn it off.
You did the firmware update through syncing with the Kobo Desktop and not manually?
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 AM   #23
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Thank you for the hard reset hints, it worked for me. I had to continue holding the light and slide switch until the screen flashed, but it unlocked my Kobo Glo.
Glad I could help and that it worked!
Old 10-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #24
semhoun
semhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipsesemhoun can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Great!

Only, to do this, you'd have to get the device connected to your computer... How did you get that to work?

EDIT: Or, did you open the device up and get the card out?
I open the kobo, and read the sdcard with my linux ;-).

Next time i will try the "hard reset".
semhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
brad_in_burnaby
brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.brad_in_burnaby can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
You did the firmware update through syncing with the Kobo Desktop and not manually?
That is correct. It automatically performed the update when I connected it to my computer. Doesn't seem like a firmware flash to me, just a base software update that tends to get locked after install.
brad_in_burnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
spino
spino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura aboutspino has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Indeed!!

You saved my life!
I just called Kobo Assistance (i'm from Italy) and she said the same procedure, but she FORGOT to say to LEAVE the power switch, slider so the led it was never blimping! And take note that i asked "Do i need to leave the power switch, after?" and she said "No..."

Now it is back to life... and I'll wait for official updates , I will owe you a beer!
spino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #27
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by spino View Post
You saved my life!
I just called Kobo Assistance (i'm from Italy) and she said the same procedure, but she FORGOT to say to LEAVE the power switch, slider so the led it was never blimping! And take note that i asked "Do i need to leave the power switch, after?" and she said "No..."

Now it is back to life... and I'll wait for official updates , I will owe you a beer!
Yay! Glad it worked for you! Looking forward to that beer
Old 06-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
SSSasky
SSSasky began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Reader
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you for the hard reset hints, it worked for me. I had to continue holding the light and slide switch until the screen flashed, but it unlocked my Kobo Glo. I was thinking to return it to the store, but that was just my 'decision of the minute'.
This fix worked for my bricked Glo as well.

I held the light button down, and flicked the power switch repeatedly until I got the disco ball led, then everything went smoothly after that.

Thanks for the great advice.

It's too bad Kobo won't publicize this very easy fix.
SSSasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #29
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Yeah, there is nothing like transparency and proper user support. These devices firmware or bootloaders should be written in such a way that both checksum and device signatures must match before an update is processed.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote