Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
adidasos
adidasos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Generation)
How To Edit & Save Books In Calibre In A Better Way???

This is what I want to do:

I want to stick books in Calibre edit titles, authors, covers and then save them out with all these changes reflected in saved post Calibre product. I usually edit, then convert to .azw3 hoping changes are reflected in this new file. Most files are already .azw3 to start with (but I convert them too, to their own format). I'd like to have filename reflect author-title with no extra spaces (without having my kindle reflect title/author author/title differently than normal). Then I will read in my Kindle 5th gen.

These are the problems I'm having trying to do this:

Trying to output books creates extra folders/folder-directory structure I don't want or need.

Outputting creates extra files I don't want or need such as .jpeg cover picture, .opf file, extra ebook formats (other than the 1 and only 1 I wanted).

Files are truncated (shortened), but I want full file names.

Switching author title order in Calibre (swap title author check box in edit metadata after selecting multiple books) makes file renaming easier (just have to change author" - "title to author"-"title, but creates unwanted issue where some of my books are displayed title-author, and some author-title in Kindle issue

I just want to take all my books out of Calibre at the same time to move to new save area on PC, (or just those of a certain type in bulk if not possible) and have just those selected formats of those selected ebooks go to one folder not creating ANYTHING extra (especially folders) being named title-author (no extra spaces) (without creating display title-author/author-title backwards issue in Kindle. And I don't want the titles shortened. Is this even possible?

I have tried saving multiple ways nothing seems to do what I would like.

Last edited by adidasos; 04-18-2017 at 09:31 AM.
adidasos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
calibre keeps files in its own directory format and naming convention that you cannot change.

You need to export your finished files using the Save to disk feature.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I like to use calibredb for that

https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...calibredb.html

For example, this writes all the azw3 files (just the .azw3) to a single directory with file names by author | series if any | title

calibredb export --all --dont-save-cover --dont-write-opf --format azw3 --single-dir --template "{authors}-{series}{series_index:0>2s|[|]-}{title}"" --to-dir <destination>
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #4
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Most of this can be taken care of by using "Save to disk in a single directory" and/or configuring the output templates.

Save to disc in a single directory will just save the book file, after writing the metadata into it.

Or you can configure yours in Preferences -> Import/Export -> Saving books to disk.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html will tell you more about how to write a save template that names the files exactly as you wish, but you can probably figure it out from the lower panel. If your template doesn't have / in it, it won't create sub-directories. That is also where you can turn off the opf and cover file.

phossler's post in #3 is essentially the same thing, using one of the commandline tools, but it's perfectly possible to configure Calibre to always save this way right inside the gui.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:13 AM   #5
adidasos
adidasos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Generation)
Thanks everyone for your help. I chose to go the save template/save to a single directory route. I got it almost working, except save books to disk {authors}-{title} was giving me title sort rather than title (sometimes). But I read in another post I can fix this by changing something in tweaks-control formatting of title and series when used in template to 'strictly alphabetic' to change this, and now everything works! YAY!!! Honestly didn't think I would be able to do it. :P

Last edited by adidasos; 04-19-2017 at 04:21 AM.
adidasos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Glad you got it working! Calibre is magnificently flexible, if you can just figure out what to play with and where. I've used it for years, and I still learn stuff all the time on this forum!
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote