Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Finally! A decaf coffee blend that really satisfies!

That's what I'm looking for. Pretty much every one I've tried is a disappointment. It's not that I would ever give up real coffee — heaven forbid! — but I do need to cut down to maybe three or four grandes a day.

Can anyone suggest a decaf that tastes great and won't leave me with the feeling that I'm missing something?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I don't have a recommendation, but how about going half-caf* after your first hi-test cup instead? It would taste better and not be such a shock to your system and you might be able to cut back on the proportions as you got used to it.

*Autocorrect changed this to "anti-gay."
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't have a recommendation, but how about going half-caf* after your first hi-test cup instead?
Been there, done that. It just left me half cocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
That's what I'm looking for. Pretty much every one I've tried is a disappointment. It's not that I would ever give up real coffee — heaven forbid! — but I do need to cut down to maybe three or four grandes a day.

Can anyone suggest a decaf that tastes great and won't leave me with the feeling that I'm missing something?
I tried to replace my coffee mug with a signicantly smaller one. After a couple of weeks, I succeeded in controlling my caffine intake to a reasonable level.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
I haven't had in a while and it is a half-caf but I enjoyed Half Ass coffee from Kicking Horse.

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/e...ass-whole-bean
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #5
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfsGhost View Post
I haven't had in a while and it is a half-caf but I enjoyed Half Ass coffee from Kicking Horse.

https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/e...ass-whole-bean
I've had that. It's pretty good. Their full strength Kick Ass is good, too.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
What about switching to hot chocolate? The caffeine in coffee makes me very ill, but the type found in chocolate doesn't affect me, provided I don't OD on the stuff!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:59 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't have a recommendation, but how about going half-caf* after your first hi-test cup instead? It would taste better and not be such a shock to your system and you might be able to cut back on the proportions as you got used to it.

*Autocorrect changed this to "anti-gay."
Ha! We love autocorrect, and we love Swype, too!

I've tried the half and half route, but I feel like a full afternoon caffeine substitute is what I'd really like, if there's any that really fills coffee's shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
. . . I tried to replace my coffee mug with a signicantly smaller one. After a couple of weeks, I succeeded in controlling my caffine intake to a reasonable level.
I have a hard enough time limiting myself to a 15 ounce cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
What about switching to hot chocolate? The caffeine in coffee makes me very ill, but the type found in chocolate doesn't affect me, provided I don't OD on the stuff!
I already add a teaspoon of Ovaltine to each cup, so it's already 1/6th cocoa as it is!
Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

I've tried the half and half route, but I feel like a full afternoon caffeine substitute is what I'd really like, if there's any that really fills coffee's shoes.
Then my next generic suggestion would be to go to the local coffee roasters if you haven't already and explore their options. At least the beans will be fresh. I'm assuming you grind your own beans and that you use a method of brewing that doesn't involve a beat-up coffee pot.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Since I hate coffee, and have only ever drunk tea, throw out this suggestion if it is completely off base: Perhaps alternate your coffee with tea, for every other cup? That's got lower caffeine (tho my heart Dr chides me anyway, and I refuse to drop the tea). In time, gradually switch to more tea than coffee. If possible!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Since I hate coffee, and have only ever drunk tea, throw out this suggestion if it is completely off base: Perhaps alternate your coffee with tea, for every other cup? That's got lower caffeine (tho my heart Dr chides me anyway, and I refuse to drop the tea). In time, gradually switch to more tea than coffee. If possible!
Have you tried decaff tea? It's okay, I drink it sometimes, but prefer chocolate.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Have you tried decaff tea? It's okay, I drink it sometimes, but prefer chocolate.
Excellent suggestions. I've only rarely had hot tea, but it may make a suitable substitute. I'll give it a try, and perhaps decaf tea as well.

I notice that no one in this tread has said, "I drink this brand of decaf coffee and find it to be excellent" (although GreyWolfsGhost came close with that suggestion for reduced caffeine coffee).

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-25-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
At one time I was trying to reduce my caffeine consumption while working in a facility with Starbucks. I found their decaf to be most enjoyable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
One of my friends highly recommends Trader Joe's half-caf blend. I follow the practice of coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon. I like Twining's Decaf English Breakfast tea.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #14
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
At one time I was trying to reduce my caffeine consumption while working in a facility with Starbucks. I found their decaf to be most enjoyable.

I love Starbucks and drink it regularly, but I tried a dark roast Starbucks decaf and it didn't taste dark; it tasted burnt. I ended up giving away the rest of the bag. It was the worst tasting stuff I ever put in my cup. To be sure, I suspect I may have bought a bag that spent more time in the oven than it should have. It even smelt burnt. Perhaps I should give it a second chance.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
One of my friends highly recommends Trader Joe's half-caf blend. I follow the practice of coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon. I like Twining's Decaf English Breakfast tea.

I'll give that a shot. Just placed an order for 24 K-cups at Amazon.